Gravel Spokesman Explains Experimental Video Making Rounds: "It's Interpretational"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 16, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

first, watch the video.

interesting video. but....

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I want 2 minutes of my life back. Spoiler: He just looks into the camera and says nothing, then he throws a rock into the water and walks off.

14:59:57 14:59:58 14:59:59 .....

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I'm all for creativity in political ads, but this is just weird. I saw it the other day and thought the minute of Gravel looking straight into the camera and saying nothing is a tactic that backfires. All it does is make you think of the crazy guy on the street who stares at you. Makes you want to change the channel, get up and walk away, anything but sit and stare back at the grumpy looking guy who has no manners. Dumb idea, but it has got people talking about it. I guess if you're desperate for any publicity it works, but that's about all I can say for it.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You just spent 2 more minutes posting about it on a forum, your time can't be that valuable.

I saw this on some show, Daily Show or Colbert or something. I'm pretty on the ball about this type of thing, I've taken many an art class and usually get avant-garde stuff, but this one I don't get. Even if it's trying to say what he's saying it should, it just doesn't make sense for the people it's aimed at or the person it's supposed to represent.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Longest three minutes of my life. (The vid's actually 2:51.)

So...when did David Lynch get into campaign videos?

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I had to bring this thread back for one more comment:

Yeah, it was a rerun, but The Daily Show had a hilarious take on this thing. After first showing Mike Gravel staring at the camera, throwing the rock and walking away, Jon Stewart deadpans:

"Of course, the message here is not 'Vote for Mike Gravel.' The message is, 'In seven days you will die.'"

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Heh. ;)

I always thought it would have been better if he had picked up a handful of gravel and thrown that into the water.

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Or been eaten by an alligator.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

According to a poster in another thread, this is proof he wants a one world gov to make us all pay to stop what the poster says is the lie that is global warming so he and his social communist buddies can enslave us. No, sadly I'm not kidding. I don't know, I still don't get it.

10. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

You're missing the point- its not a political ad. Its a couple from Southern California who asked him to help them make a short video, and he agreed.