Great article on the rise of skeuomorphobia

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Rogifan, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

The Next Web posted a great article on skeuomorphism and the rise of what they call skeuomorphobia. iMore also published a great article on the subject. I'm not a fan of this design language/style, but reading thoughtful pieces like these make me rethink the notion that Apple needs to go all Android/Metro with their future design language. At the end of the day it's not so much about skeuomorphism but whether something looks good or not and how well it functions. Contacts is bad because functionality was sacrificed in order to design something that looked like a physical contacts/address book. Find my Friends and Game Center are just plain ugly. Podcasts app is ugly and functionality is crap. I think Apple just needs to get rid of the fugly and fix the apps where functionality has been compromised in order to design something that mimicks a physical object. That doesn't necessarily mean they have to move away from textures, gradients, shading, rounded corners, etc.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/02...-ive-and-the-rise-of-skeuomorphobia/#comments

http://www.imore.com/defining-skeuomorphism-and-why-debate-matters

2. Bahroo macrumors 68000

I think iOS 7 is going to really change the way the UI looks like, no more stupid linen and things like that, Ivy will just make everything look much cleaner and more elegant imo. I truly am really excited for iOS 7

3. TheMTtakeover macrumors 6502

TheMTtakeover

Podcasts app is sexy and functionality is amazing.

4. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

The greater the expectation, the greater the disappointment. I think even with Ive, there won't a massive overhaul of the UI.

5. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Surely you're joking.

----------

Because there doesn't need to be.

6. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I agree with both sentences.

Also like the avatar.

7. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Yeah I like the Podcasts app after a few updates.

Use it everyday and love it.

8. TheMTtakeover macrumors 6502

TheMTtakeover

I mean I use it everyday and have no issues with it.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, I hate bad skeuomorphism like the Mac Address Book in Lion or Quicktime 4 (in 1999) with the stupid audio-dial volume control. Bad design is bad design, but it somehow feels worse when skeuomorphism was the cause of it.

But I really can't throw myself in with the crowd who calls for death to skeuomorphism across the board.

The iPhone compass app should look like a compass. Nothing wrong with that. Likewise, the Mac's trash can? Still brilliant. Who thinks that's a bad idea? No one, as far as I know.

As a concept, skeuomorphism is not a problem. It's just that they need to kill the ones that get in the way.

(And for the record, I actually like the way 'Find my Friends' looks, but as was said, that actually has nothing to do with skeuomorphism. It's just a style choice.)

10. Bahroo macrumors 68000

The OS doesnt even need a massive overhaul, just some changes

11. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

12. danielceleste macrumors regular

You actually like it? It looks too plain for my taste. I get that the Podcast app doesn't need whatever those tape things are (me not knowing exactly what to call them provides an even greater reason for them not to be there) but I feel like that rendition takes away the personality from those apps.

13. Ed91 macrumors 6502

Like this? :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

14. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

ivy hahahahaha!