Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stillwater

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
Rowley, MA
I recently spent a day shopping for a subwoofer-satellite speakers system for my new iMac. After going to all the big-box stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUsa) in my area, I was pretty disappointed with the performance of available choices. After spending over two grand on a 20 inch iMac G5, I didn't want to spoil the new mac experience with crappy speakers.

Things turned around when I went in to Cambridge Soundworks where they have a kind of mix and match system based on the BassCube 821.

The 821 is powered sub with an amplifier built in to power the satellite speakers, which is functionally pretty much the same as other computer speakers. The difference is that you can either get it as part of a sub-sat package or just get the sub and match it with just about any pair of speakers you want.

CSW offers a range of satellites, from little cubes to larger two-way bookshelf speakers .Of course, you don't have to get everything from CSW.

What I ended up doing was buying the 821 at CSW and a pair of Mirage Omnisat Micros from Tweeter Etc. The Omnisats are awesome sounding little speakers with extremely wide dispersion. They're also pretty cool looking.

If there's a down side, its that this set-up ends being more expensive than most of the computer speaker packages out there. The BassCube 821 costs $200 and the Omnisat Micros cost $359 a pair at Tweeter. Of course, you can use much less expensive sats, but for me, this combo was worth the money.

Any way, I just felt like sharing this info with all of you. I'm really happy with the sound I get from this combo and I also like the stark contrast between the iMacs brilliant white and the stark black Omnisats.

umgolfer

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
MI
I jsut got a set of JBL Creature II's and love them!!! The bass is deep and I really like them. I was very tempted to get the Soundsticks, but for the $42 I paid I can't complain.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
coconn06 said:
That sounds pretty awesome...well, I can't hear it, so it sounds like it would sound awesome ;)

I'm extremely happy here with my Harmon Kardon Sounsticks :)

How do they compare tp the Altec lasing, I forgot the model no. but there silvar and are 299 (i think)

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
floatingspirit said:
I'm all about the Edirol. For a bit over 100 bucks there as good as any non-prosumer stereo I've heard. Just plug and play baby.

All speakers I've ever seen are plug and play...

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
umgolfer said:
I jsut got a set of JBL Creature II's and love them!!! The bass is deep and I really like them. I was very tempted to get the Soundsticks, but for the $42 I paid I can't complain.

yeh i agree. i use them to play my music which i use as my main stereo and i really could not want any more!

esotu

macrumors member
May 31, 2004
On a Budget

Anyone looking for some great speakers for under $50 should definitely check out the Codegen S3-001 set. Really cheap at newegg.com and AMAZING SOUND for their extremely cheap cost. I couldn't be happier. The sub is very deep and precise.

Listening to Groove Armada on this system is a blissful experience.

http://www.codegenworld.com

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2004
So what does everyone recommend?? SoundSticks or the JBL Creatures?

I refuse to speand over $200 on speakers.

The only thing I don't like about the Soundsticks is that big subwhoofer that comes with it.

I just want some good desktop speakers.

cerfsud

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2004
for under $200? grab the logitech z-2200 2.1 set. they're incredible. apparently logitech just updated their speaker line recently and the new z-2300 are taking the 2200's place, but it just looks like the same speakers with a different look. personally, i prefer the more neutral 2200 look; i think the 2300s are way too silvery and "cheap" looking.

anyway, both the soundsticks and creatures are horribly overpriced. plus, they both have tiny speakers (having four of them doesn't make any difference), so their mids have got to blow. i grabbed my z-2200s from newegg.com for $120 and sent in a $50 rebate for them that i found off buy.com. also, the 2200s sound a lot more full (almost like they're a set of big three-ways) than my friend's soundsticks, and the sub on the soundsticks/creatures is puny - the 2200's can be a monster (sound-wise, though it's "big" too - about 11x11x15in), but isn't obnoxious - seems just about perfect.

i say go for the z-2200/2300, but it's up to you i guess, but please, don't waste your money on the soundsticks or creatures (unless you can get a _great_ deal on them, i guess).

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2004
I bought the Harmen Kardon SoundSticks tonight and I love them...... They sound so nice. It was between the Creatures and the SoundSticks II and I went with the SoundSticks.

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
Are there any speakers out there that would connect to the Digital Out in the new G5's?

I keep hearing great reviews on the JBL Creatures but I would love to utilize the Digital Out.

Thanks, any advice is much appreciated.

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
I was very pleasantly surprised with the sound quality of the Creature speakers when I heard them at the Apple Store in Atlanta. BUT, in my opinion, they are about the ugliest speakers made and I wouldn't want to detract from the look of an Apple by using them, regardless of how good they sound. :p

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
kwajaln said:
I was very pleasantly surprised with the sound quality of the Creature speakers when I heard them at the Apple Store in Atlanta. BUT, in my opinion, they are about the ugliest speakers made and I wouldn't want to detract from the look of an Apple by using them, regardless of how good they sound. :p

i disagree with the looks. i personally think they look amazing. with regards to the sound however, i agree, for the price the sound quality is very good.

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
Klipsch 2.1's have a pretty monstrous output. They claim 200 watts peak for 2 channels and a subbie, but it could just as easily be 200 watts RMS. There's no distortion even at the highest volume level. Their 5.1 system is equally commendable.

wkw

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2004
Eugene, OR
I am using a Griffin Powerwave connected to an early 70's Pioneer integrated amp/preamp (no tuner) and some early 80's JBL 4311B studio monitors. Sounds great and way better than any cheep computer speaker system I have tried. Old amp looks kinda funky next to 20" cinema display. If you have old stereo stuff laying around that still works, grab a Powerwave and hook it up! you will love the sound quality.

bill

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.