Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AllStarCelica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
I have an iPhone 5, white, 64GB that's 15 months old (3 months out of warranty) and had noticeable battery drain problems when I upgraded to iOS7. I changed many settings and got it to a somewhat manageable level. A month ago, the battery started draining very badly to the point where last week I was getting these results...

Usage: 1 hour, 33 minutes
Standby 6 hours, 13 minutes
Battery was at 21%

I went to the genius bar yesterday and they diagnosed a battery problem, which I expected, and was ready to pay the $79 to have the battery replaced. The genius bar technician offered me a "one-time, valued-repeat customer" battery replacement at no charge. I just had to come back in 30-40 minutes and it would be ready.

When I came back, the technician asked if I had problems with the sleep/wake button and I said no, only the battery was a concern, nothing else. He said the techs downstairs couldn't get the phone to turn on and that the sleep/wake button and home buttons weren't functioning properly. He showed the phone to me and it clearly never happened to me before.

As a result of their error, I ended up with a new phone in its place insead of just the battery.

Bottom line for this post, Apple was overboard nice in offering the battery at no charge and even nicer for replacing the phone due to their error. I'm not an "entitled" apple customer, nor did I even ask for it as I was more than ready to pay the $79 since I knew it was out of warranty.

Good job Apple. Thanks for the fantastic customer service.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Its good to know customer service still excels. I remember i got a MBP logic board replaced out of warranty for free awhile ago because of defective GPU. It must've been 3-4 years out of warranty and they still took it for me; no hesitation.

AllStarCelica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2011
Long Island, NY
Its good to know customer service still excels. I remember i got a MBP logic board replaced out of warranty for free awhile ago because of defective GPU. It must've been 3-4 years out of warranty and they still took it for me; no hesitation.

That's awesome. I have a few different apple products and only needed service once on my iMac 3 years ago. That was a great experience too. It really is nice to see that good customer service is still alive and well, albeit scarce. This goes to prove that the premium price you pay, aka "the apple tax", is justified by the positive customer experience. It's definitely a case of paying more but receiving higher quality.

I was so impressed, I needed to share this experience lolol

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
That's awesome. I have a few different apple products and only needed service once on my iMac 3 years ago. That was a great experience too. It really is nice to see that good customer service is still alive and well, albeit scarce. This goes to prove that the premium price you pay, aka "the apple tax", is justified by the positive customer experience. It's definitely a case of paying more but receiving higher quality.

I was so impressed, I needed to share this experience lolol

yeah i dont think a lot of people realize that when u buy an apple product, ur not just buying a gadget, ur buying an experience and a lifestyle you just don't get with other products.

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
a long time apple buyer, my iPhone 4s developed a sleep/wake issue 4 wks out of warranty, 2 apple stores no luck, had to pay £139 for replacement even tho a known issue according to support sites, it's all just luck!

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
I have an iPhone 5, white, 64GB that's 15 months old (3 months out of warranty) and had noticeable battery drain problems when I upgraded to iOS7. I changed many settings and got it to a somewhat manageable level. A month ago, the battery started draining very badly to the point where last week I was getting these results...

Battery was at 21%

I went to the genius bar yesterday and they diagnosed a battery problem, which I expected, and was ready to pay the $79 to have the battery replaced. The genius bar technician offered me a "one-time, valued-repeat customer" battery replacement at no charge. I just had to come back in 30-40 minutes and it would be ready.

When I came back, the technician asked if I had problems with the sleep/wake button and I said no, only the battery was a concern, nothing else. He said the techs downstairs couldn't get the phone to turn on and that the sleep/wake button and home buttons weren't functioning properly. He showed the phone to me and it clearly never happened to me before.

As a result of their error, I ended up with a new phone in its place insead of just the battery.

Bottom line for this post, Apple was overboard nice in offering the battery at no charge and even nicer for replacing the phone due to their error. I'm not an "entitled" apple customer, nor did I even ask for it as I was more than ready to pay the $79 since I knew it was out of warranty.

Did they replace it with another 5 or did you get the 5s? I have read that many users are getting upgraded because of the availability of the 5.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Great iPhone 5 experience at Genius bar yesterday

Did they replace it with another 5 or did you get the 5s? I have read that many users are getting upgraded because of the availability of the 5.

Read where exactly?! Because I can tell you now that is NOT happening. Apple have mass amounts of the 5, and if they don't have them in store can get hold of one within 24hrs. No one is getting a 5s instead of a 5.

Maybe this exists in one rare case, but as a rule apple wouldn't do this. That's not how they work!

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Nice that you got lucky. I made a couple of appointments at different stores in December for the sleep/wake button not working on my launch day 5 and was told each time it would be an out of warranty replacement.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

Battery was at 21%

I don't want to rain on your parade, but, are the words in quote marks the words the actual Genius used when speaking to you? You see, they, like most people can say anything and make it sound official...do you believe he looked up your entire purchase history to grant you this special offer? I highly doubt it, but at least it made you feel special, as obviously the words he used were intended to do. Some night even call it "fake", but at least you got a whole replacement iPhone.

Battery was at 21%

Awesome.

Love hearing stories like this, and it's why I love Apple.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I don't want to rain on your parade, but, are the words in quote marks the words the actual Genius used when speaking to you? You see, they, like most people can say anything and make it sound official...do you believe he looked up your entire purchase history to grant you this special offer? I highly doubt it, but at least it made you feel special, as obviously the words he used were intended to do. Some night even call it "fake", but at least you got a whole replacement iPhone.

The other day I went to buy another case for my 5c right? Gave the guy my email and he smiled all big at me. I was like "What?", he said go pick out another case. I was a little concerned as $29.00 was a bit steep. Turns out he GAVE me the second one. No charge, just bought the first one.

I think sometimes they do really keep track of their customers to a T.

Thomas card

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2014
Read where exactly?! Because I can tell you now that is NOT happening. Apple have mass amounts of the 5, and if they don't have them in store can get hold of one within 24hrs. No one is getting a 5s instead of a 5.

Maybe this exists in one rare case, but as a rule apple wouldn't do this. That's not how they work!

I am that rare case , I had gone through 3 replacement iphone 5,s through the mail and it was a nightmare , I kept getting phones with scratches or really bad light bleeds and after the 3rd replacement the apple manager that handled my case told me that after 3 replacements you qualify for a new device , that's where I got lucky because that was right after the 5s came out and the 5 was discontinued , she upgraded me to a silver 5s unlocked verizon model , I could have gotten gold if they had them in stock but I'm just happy they did this for me I was shocked , I almost didn't believe it was true , I tracked the package from Shen Chen China all the way to my house with the tracking number they gave me . I never heard of that before but after 3 replacements they replace your phone with a brand new device and if they don't have your model brand new available they will upgrade you . It does happen believe it or not

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
They would have had brand new boxed 5's in stock somewhere to send out to you, rather than ship you a 5s. Or maybe they got fed up of you returning to the shop lol, if your happy that's all that matters, whether I believe you or not is irrelevant.

Thomas card

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2014
They would have had brand new boxed 5's in stock somewhere to send out to you, rather than ship you a 5s. Or maybe they got fed up of you returning to the shop lol, if your happy that's all that matters, whether I believe you or not is irrelevant.

Wrong my friend , the rep said they had no new 5 anywhere to send out and I wasn't the only one either cuz she mentioned that all the replacements for new 5,s were receiving a 5s so it wasn't just me but it don't matter to me if you believe me , why would I make that up lol , I'll try to find the emails from apple and I'll post them if you want proof ! I only told my story because someone said it was impossible and it is not being it happened to me and obviously others .

----------

Wrong my friend , the rep said they had no new 5 anywhere to send out and I wasn't the only one either cuz she mentioned that all the replacements for new 5,s were receiving a 5s so it wasn't just me but it don't matter to me if you believe me , why would I make that up lol , I'll try to find the emails from apple and I'll post them if you want proof ! I only told my story because someone said it was impossible and it is not being it happened to me and obviously others .
And I'm sorry but I'll send back a thousand phones till I get what I paid for which is a non defective phone , you should have seen some of the refurbs I received , I think I still have pics I'll try to post them with the emails about the 5s as proof , why can't we just say hey that was a good deal enjoy your phone why say stuff like oh I don't believe you or they got sick of you ? What happened to just being nice lol

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I rang up about a iPad problem last year, mentioned i didn't want to spend on Apple Care as i had a iMac screen die. He had a look at my profile, said hang on i will speak to a supervisor, came back and said we will replace the screen for nothing. $650 worth, the late 09 21" iMac was over 2 years out of warranty too :)

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Have never had anything but great experience with Apple as far as that kind of thing goes. They recently replaced my wife's iPhone while troubleshooting a SIM card issue; we determined it wasn't the phone but they told us to keep the new one anyway since they'd already processed the replacement. I have always said that you cannot beat Apple for customer service in this industry.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
I just had to come back in 30-40 minutes and it would be ready.
At the Apple Store in Amsterdam, Netherlands they currently estimate 24 hours to replace your battery (replacement program) :(

Last edited:

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hi

I've never had a bad buying experience from my Apple Store.

I once purchased an iPhone 4s from a Network shop iand I asked if I could open the box to look at it. The look of disgust I received. They insisted I paid for it and said then it's yours and you can open it. I was literally then left to wander out of the door.

I then decided as an Apple Store had recently opened in my home city I'd try them for my next purchase. I purchased the iPhone 5 by reserving one via my apple I.d.

On entering the store I was greeted with a smile and on providing my info the iPhone 5 was brought out to me. Lots of discussion and the Apple rep insisted I opened it to ensure I was 100% happy with the phone ,and that it booted up without issue ,and then offered me to go to a set up area so I could download my iCloud back up. The interest these guys have in your wants and needs is awesome.

I've since purchased my iPhone 5s and iPad Air from them due to this excellence of Customer support and customer service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.