Great, out of the blue 'J' and 'M' keys stop working on my Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adamantoise, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

So much for quality ... I've owned 'cheap' Dell laptops, and while they had their own set of problems, a failed keyboard was never one of them.

Anyway, what's the general course of action here? Call Apple and have them send me a box to mail it to them?

I have aftermarket Memory and Hard Disk Drive installed on the computer, do I need to replace it with the factory parts before taking it to Apple?

Any first aid measures I can try to avoid sending it in? I could open it myself, but last time I did, I think I remember that the keys are on the other side of the logic board ... Right?

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

3. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well the nearest is 90 minutes away from me, so I'm not really fond of that option.

I am most likely going to end up mailing it in. I just want to know if I need to replace my HDD and RAM with the factory ones prior to doing so.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Fair enough.

I'd personally re-install the original RAM and HDD before taking a machine in for service.

5. Gaura Mohana macrumors regular

two keys stopped working on my mum's MBP a few months ago.
    a- Did you spill anything on your computer? If yes- you might have trouble with warranty
    If not,
    Just bring it to the apple store.. They will replace the whole top case ·and if they have it in stock, I think they can do it in one visit.
    Otherwise try going to a ASSP (apple service provider)

6. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, it's not even my main computer (I have a desktop to do real work on) so I only use it while I'm watching TV in the living room.

Out of the blue, I noticed the m key stopped working, and then I restarted and couldn't log on to my account because my password has a J in it. Lol.

Anyway, I might just have to drive there myself ... Just so I don't have to deal with them trying to get out of warranty.

I'll call them first though.