Greece threatens to unleash jihadists upon Western Europe

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Mar 9, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Well, this is some sort of blackmail, I'd say. Panos Kammenos--Greece's defence minister--threatens to open country's borders to refugees – including potential members of Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) - unless Athens receives debt crisis support. And not just him:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ts-including-jihadists-to-Western-Europe.html

Souvlaki, anyone?

2. k995 macrumors 6502a

Europe can kick them out of schengen too, then all those will be stuck in greece.

3. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Trying to work out a good reason not to kick Greece out of the EU , and failing.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There is a difference between a warning and a threat.

I could warn you that the dam was going to break.

That doesn't mean that I threatened you that I'd break the dam.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well the rest of the EU could always threaten Greece with ex-pats from their countries. I am sure a bunch of right-wing UKIP nutters from GB would love to live in Greece.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Once again I have to point out to US readers the hazards of quoting from British tabloid newspapers.

Its an easy mistake to make. They do sorta speak the same language. And Britain and the US have a few cultural/historical/social/legal things in common.

But not when it comes to serious journalism. There are a couple of decent British papers: The Guardian and Independent do pretty well. The Economist is reliable and informative in a way that no US newsweekly is.

But the mass-market British tabloids are - by and large - junk. They cobble together headlines in a way calculated to wring the maximum emotional impact out of story, with pretty much zero attempt to maintain journalistic balance or objectivity.

[​IMG]

The Telegraph (AKA Torygraph) is the flagship of the "Little England" Conservative middle class. The sort of Brit who hankers back to the good old days of shillings, when the Common Market was for nasty Frogs and Jerries; and Brittania stilled ruled the Waves.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

America's got rags like that. Universally on the wire racks near the checkout counter in supermarkets. It's a kind of infotainment. The Enquirer was one of the oldest, as far as I recall. The B&W cover photos were often shocking.

9. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Except the Telegraph is not a Tabloid. The Guardian is considered a labor supporting paper the same way the Telegraph might be Conservative.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd agree, except for this.

----------

In the past it was.

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Out of all British newspapers the one I trust the most is The Financial Times. Yes it is pro-establishment but it is also somewhat pro-Europe because of the business bent of the paper which I like. If more people read The Financial Times rather than reading The Daily Mail Britain would be a much better place. Unfortunately I get the impression that The Financial Times might be too high brow for certain readers.

12. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The world is changing. As far as I can tell, the Guardian is the only major British newspaper that strives to be both objective and comprehensive.

It is the same situation in the U.S. The New York Times is the only major paper left with national and world scope that tries to be objective. It is sad and frightening at the same time.

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It's simple bad journalism. It is taking an out-of-context hypothetical remark made by a junior minister in a coalition Government, one that is engaged in very tense negotiations, and spins it into some sort of weird plot to let loose hordes of ISIS terrorists.

Its nothing of the kind: Kammenos (the Defense Minister) was talking about a possible outcome of a Greek referendum on Eurozone membership.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Plus the FT and the Economist.

And the Telegraph certainly used to be objective and comprehensive, albeit with a different slant to the Guardian.

16. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Sounds like an act of aggression and attack on the sovereignty of western Europe. Greece should consider their words/actions more carefully.

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It might sound like that. But the reality is its nothing of the sort. And if the Telegraph and Der Spiegel did their job as journalistic institutions, you'd understand that.

Lets get this straight: Panos Kammenos (the Greek Defense Minister) was not speaking for the Greek Government.

Kammenos is a Minister, part of a Coalition Government in a Parliamentary System. He is in no way similar to Chuck Hegel - the current US Secretary of Defense. He didn't go through a confirmation process. He got the job because his (right-wing anti-austerity) "Independent Greeks" party joined with the (radical left-wing, anti-austerity) Syria to form a governing coalition.

Kammenos has no power to establish Greek foreign policy. He has no power issue identity or travel documents. And he certainly has no power to influence the immigration policies of other nations within the Schengen area.

Kammenos is a right-wing Greek politician, using his own prejudices against foreigners and immigrants to stir up similar hatreds among right-wing political groups in Germany and France. In an attempt (presumably) to pressure them to modify their negotiating stance vis-a-vis the terms of the renegotiations of Greece's outstanding loans from German banks.

18. sim667 macrumors 65816

Well put.

Its also worth noting that the thread title is in also misrepresentative of the story presented.

From the telegraphs story
    Note how some is quotation, but the part about Jihadists is not..... this is mereley the telegraph (torygraph) scaremongering, and the OP jumping on a small misrepresented part of a story to fuel their own anti islamic agenda...... it really is quite pathetic.

----------

The independent too?

----------

I don't think a lot of people worldwide realise that Greece actually has an active Neo-Nazi party, which is well supported and involved in both the Hellenic and EU Parliaments :(

19. FieldingMellish Suspended

You'll probably find Neo Nazis in the U.S. as well.

Slow news day.

If the same guy tilted some and broke wind, imagine the headlines over threatening gas attacks.

20. sim667 macrumors 65816

Neo Nazis in a legitimate political party in US government?

Really?

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Define legitimate.

22. FieldingMellish Suspended

I didn't say political party, correct? I didn't say legitimate, right? Nor did I say within US Government, neither as well. Can we say putting words in my mouth?

But since you mentioned it, check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Nazi_Party

23. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I use the word "slant" differently, perhaps, than you do. Objective newspaper journalism, which never exists perfectly of course, but, is an ideal to pursue, requires that news stories report facts, and, editorializing about the news goes in the editorial section. I don't care what the editorials say as long as the news is correct and complete.

Strictly speaking, the Economist never observed that difference, or rather, as a news "magazine", often blended highly edited news with opinion. Time magazine took the same approach in its heyday. So, despite being a good source of news back in the 80's and 90's, you still had to view the magazine as an opinion magazine, not as a "raw" news source.

But, the Economists naive neo-con-libertarianism grew and got very obtrusive in the late 90's and then the Bush era, culminating in some of the dumbest opinions I've ever seen in a major mainstream supposedly rational magazine.

Here's an illustrative cover from that era (I let my subscription expire after that):

[​IMG]

I cycle back through the Economist from time to time, but, find the same dumb religious belief in something called the "free market", which is supposedly what, e.g., Viacom, Verizon, TWC, and Comcast are participating in, when providing internet service, instead of what, e.g., the Republican Teddy Roosevelt would have call it-- monopoly.

EDIT: I meant to include in the above a reference to the aforesaid Telegraph article, which is a perfect example of blending news and editorializing. It isn't a question of "slant", it is a question of keeping the facts and the opinions separate-- physically in the paper, logically, in separate departments even, as used to be done.

24. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Economist is very well written and comprehensive, but in no way is it as objective as people make it out to be.

Edit: jnpy beat me to it

25. sim667 macrumors 65816

I was asking, not putting words in your mouth :rolleyes:

----------

Well they hold parliamentary seats in both european and hellenic government.

Infact (and I don't know if this will be of interest to you in the states, I doubt it), UKIP allied themselves with Golden Dawn to vote against EU attempts to set up a committee to look at tax dodging.

AAV Link