Green Day frontman could not wait "until Steve Jobs dies of cancer.""

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sol, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Not sure if this has been reported and discussed on MacRumors already but I just saw this video of Green Day performing in Peru last year and felt sickened by it:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/green-day-hates-steve-jobs

In the video Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong takes a moment during a performance of American Idiot to tell the crowd that he "can't wait until Steve Jobs dies of cancer."

I had some respect for this guy after listening to his interview on Real Time With Bill Maher but in light of this video I think he is insensitive scum that needs to grow up and act like an adult. Seriously, what is wrong with him to say something like that in public?

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Why do you feel sickened by it? He's just an angsty guy who yelled something stupid. I don't know why he yelled it, but it doesn't really matter, he's probably just looking for attention.

3. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I deleted then from my music collection already...

4. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I really wish I knew his motivation behind this.. seems rather unprecedented and childish.

5. TSE macrumors 68030

Green Day hasn't been relevant since the 90's.

6. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

Maybe it has something to do with the way I was raised. To me, it seems loathsome to wish any terminally ill man dead. Who cares what the motivation was to say something like that? He said it and now he can live with the consequences and regret, assuming he has the maturity to recognise it as a grave error. Personally I think the iTunes Store should stop selling Green Day and the band should make a public apology to Steve Jobs' family for having said in the first place.

7. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I think you misunderstood me, I wasn't meaning to justify him in any way, shape or form. I was trying to say you shouldn't even listen to people like this, just ignore them and you'll be happier :)

8. leekohler, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It was a crappy thing to say, but I think I may know why he said it. iTunes changed the music industry in a way that many musicians disliked. It killed record stores and a lot of the culture that surrounded music, which was directly related to record stores. These are the places many musicians gathered, not just to buy music, but to meet each other.

The way I see it though, is that is was actually good for music and independent record stores in a way. Here in Chicago, the only stores that have survived are the independent stores. They've survived and indeed, thrived, by focusing on selling mostly vinyl. In big cities, vinyl sales are huge, but in smaller places, not so much. Their stores are gone. So I can kind of see what he's saying. That still does not make it right.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Wishing someone to die of cancer is pretty disgusting.

10. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

This looks like the only Jobs thread open at the moment so I thought I'd share this pic a friend sent me.

I laughed, so hopefully it lightens the mood a little :)

jobs.jpg

11. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Over that? Meh. I don't like Green Day, so it doesn't really apply to me. If a proper punk band such as Bad Religion or Black Flag had said it, I certainly wouldn't be deleting them out of my collection.

I hope your post was sarcasm.

12. gabbiemazing macrumors newbie

too bad

:eek:

Too bad, I liked them, I like their kind of music. But now, I think they're just a bunch of jerks.

13. Sol thread starter macrumors 68000

Sol

You are right about ignoring the idiots. I guess it just got to me because I am still grieving over Steve Jobs' passing and anger is a stage of grief. I hope someone more familiar with Greenday can contextualise this for me; was he being himself when he said it or is there a persona he uses to say offensive things as part of his act? I realise comments can be taken out of context and I hope this is a case of that.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Irrelevant band who've stayed on beyond their years said something controversial? Is it within the realms of possibility that they said this to get some attention? Should I have chocolate crepes for dinner?

The answer to all those questions is - yes.

15. Shrink, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I know nothing about the band Green Day, but would like to comment on enjoying performers with whose views one disagrees.

Andres Segovia, arguably the greatest classical guitarist ever, was a supporter of Francisco Franco's fascist government in Spain. However, my family, who were very left wing, continued to go to his concerts. Arguably, this was a wrong thing to do - but I cherish the memory of those concerts.

There are certainly actors (John Wayne, John Voight, Gary Senise, Mel Gibson ), directors (Elia Kazan, John Ford), and other artists whose actions and political beliefs are, to me, appalling, but I still enjoy their work.

Certainly it is reasonable to deny those whose opinions or actions offend you any support. But, IMO, to continue to enjoy their work is not necessarily endorsing their beliefs.

Just one person's opinion...:)

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I really wish I had never opened this thread.

Oh, and Heaven definitely needs more barbers. WTF is that all about????

They used to be dentists, and even surgeons too. Surely that's some redeeming value?

17. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Well your POV, on the other side of the coin, there are musicians who have embraced digital distribution. Bjork for example released an interactive music project called Biophilia through iTunes-though not really into her music I applaud her innovation. Many new and lesser known groups have had exposure thanks to iTunes and other digital media. Another group I like (and whom a friend of mine knows personally) Kultur Schock, have their music available on iTunes and their own website (where you can order CDs if you wish).

A lot of the issues with DD can be laid at the feet of record companies I think. Plus as you said, small music shops have not been affected by the Amazon/iTunes steamroller-I have acouple of favourites I frequent myself.

I agree with you 100%, frankly if I were too strict on this then I would not enjoy any music, film or other entertainment. Heck I can admire Leni Riefenstahl's work (sorry for this example) from a technical point of view without supporting Nazi politics. Sergei Eisenstein is a favourite of mine and I am no Stalinst either and can clearly seperate out the blatant propaganda. Same for the personal character of any artist I like.

I very sad Segovia was a Franco supporter though. :(

18. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Nice one!

19. Aragornii macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting. Was not aware of that. So these middle-aged posers wearing black eye-liner who produce bad bubble-gum punk for 12 year-olds feel that their dinosaur business model is threatened by the Apple-driven music revolution. For that he wishes Steve Jobs dead of cancer, either literally or just exaggerating to be "edgy." Pathetic F#@king morons.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

American Idiot indeed.

The record store was on life support long before iTunes appeared on the scene. Walmart, Target and Best By killed them.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh, I agree completely. I buy mostly digital copies these days. I do still purchase things I can't find on line in the store though.

Maybe where you are, but not here. The independent stores were the only to survive.

22. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

It would be one thing if Steve didn't actually have cancer. But this was a year ago and everyone knew that he did.

It would be wrong to say that about anyone who was actually dying of cancer, even someone on death row.

23. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

So let me get this straight..

everyone is up in arms because a former punk band said something controversial?

Folks that sorta is Punk..

24. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

LOL if you think that bloke is punk. He's as pop as Madonna, he just wants to pretend like he isn't.

25. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Ah Billie Joe, Billie Joe. Doesn't get karma. He should be careful or he'lll come back as a white rabbit in the cosmetic testing labs.