green light next to isight was on (what to look for in the log?)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kageko, Jul 10, 2009.

1. kageko macrumors newbie

as the title says the light was on and i didnt think of it until later on that day when it had been on for hours already, and being the paranoid person i am, im kind of freaking out about it.

earlier today my gf was using my macbook to play sims and surf the web, she wanted to dl some .doc file and freaked out when she couldnt open it, trying to click on everything, so im guessing thats when it happened, unfortunately, after i had checked the activity handler i force-rebooted the comp to make the damn thing stop.

I realise now that the reboot was a stupid move, but as i said, no webcam related applications in the activity handler, so either its something im not aware of, or its just the camera acting strange (didnt think to test if the cam actually responded in photobooth unfortunately) so i guess the system logs are my best chance of finding out wth was going on?

my friend showed me how to access the system logs but as i said, i dont really know what im looking for (and he only knows linux, and has no webcam experience), so if someone could point me in the right direction so i can see what program accessed the built in isight in the system logs (btw, its a macbook white and i bought it a month ago) i would be very grateful :confused:

2. o2xygen macrumors regular

Photobooth, iChat . Thats all off the top of my head

3. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Some websites can use your isight webcam, like www.tinychat.com, look if you have any websites that could be accessing your webcam

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

What was the file that your gf downloaded? May be nothing, but I would check out about that.

I believe there are (PC) trojans that can take control of your webcam and do remember reading about this OS X one a while ago http://news.cnet.com/8301-10789_3-9973703-57.html

5. nerdish macrumors regular

I had this problem too, if seemed to happen when i installed 4GB of Crucial RAM, but when i reverted back the the 2GB that came with it, the problem went away.

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Did it come back again if you put the 4GB back in?

7. eman macrumors 6502a

On occasion, the green light will turn on by itself. My green light on my macbook still does turn on once in a while, a restart usually solves the problem.

8. Pearcey macrumors newbie

My friend sticks a piece of BluTack over his isight when it's not in use... He's paranoid about people hacking into his isight.