Green spot in camera pictures. Genius appointment already set up. Appt cancld

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danpass, Jun 28, 2010.

1. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Already tried to power cycle it

Greeeeeeeeeeeat :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

edit: I'm going to cancel the appointment and wait to see what happens with hardware and software. Why change it for another green spot .....

2. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

anyone else notice it and did you fix it without returning it?

3. uoduckies macrumors newbie

Mine just started doing the same thing. Although mine looks more blue than green. I was using it a lot this weekend outside in the sun. I wonder if the back lit sensor got damaged by the sun? I need to make an appointment to have it looked at.

4. iBryton macrumors regular

I had same issue. I took off the protective transparent thing off tha back

5. doboy macrumors 68000

There are forum posts suggesting the greenish cast is due to CFL lighting. Does the camera show green cast when pictures are taken without the lighting (natural indoor lighting). If it doesn't have it then it's just an artifact if CFL.

6. pinwanger macrumors member

OMG I have been on the phone with Applecare for the exact same reason.

This is what the Applecare told me,

that this might be normal for iphone...
    that iphone has an more advanced camera sensor like DSLR and that's why its picking up these things

I took about two dozen pictures for Apple engineerings to analyze!!

I uploaded some of the samples I took for them, except the one in the restaurant and it is not under fluorescent light

Attached Files:

7. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

that was actually my first thought but I discounted it since I had taken similar pics last week.

I went outside and took a picture of the paper and got a nice, even result across the page (underexposed white lol).

just strange that it only shows in the middle when the entire camera is obviously under cfl lighting.

perhaps a lens issue

8. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

good examples

9. pinwanger macrumors member

let me know if genius end up replacing ur phone....applecare told me wait just in case the engineerings want my phone.

10. iBryton macrumors regular

I just got off the phone from APPLECARE. They gave me the following 3 options.

1. Restore the telephone
    2. Repair appointment at local apple store
    3. Repair appointment (send to apple) because apple store my not have enough stock.

Now I want to go with #3, but don't want to be left out without a phone for a couple days. APPLE could send you A BRAND NEW telephone for $30. You don't even have to send in your phone first.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

My first i4 had this issue. It not only had the green oval/haze but both cameras (front and back) were very yellow in all of their imaging. Genius Replaced no questions - no hesitation

My 2nd i4 had this issue - but "ok" color. - genius replaced after they determined that many phones have this but they don't always record the image that way (i.e. it's just during preview)

My new/current i4 has the green (although smaller than #1) but ONLY with CFL. And in low light situations - the same space that would be green is reddish instead. If I use the flash - the red goes away and the image is fine.

I think my current phone is up to "spec" - and that there are just some limitations with the phone camera. I don't expect it to be an SLR. At the same time - it is a little annoying that it's not perfect in all conditions. I'd understand poor color/grain with low light. But these color spots is a bit weird.

12. Fireguyy macrumors member

Wow....damn just tried mine and noticed I have the same problem

13. hasanahmad Suspended

does your latest phone have the antenna issue? was that an issue before in prior phones?

14. zerolyrics macrumors newbie

Damn. I just tried mine and I have the same issue too!!
    :eek:

15. pinwanger macrumors member

Lol i am gonna try to get mine replaced before it becomes the norm...

16. Hollow Man macrumors regular

Same here, but has to be a CFL issue. If I hold the camera in place where I see green, and then turn the CFL lights off in my office, the green instantly goes away.

Maybe one of these days they'll add manual white balance to the camera options.

-HM

17. bluush macrumors 6502

CFL lights? So it's likely every iPhone4 has this problem? My cameras (both front and back) have no green/blue spots, but I haven't tested under CFL lights..

Can anyone confirm?

18. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Manual white balance will be no help. The fluorescent lighting will flicker at 120HZ (twice per cycle) and the cameras shutter speed is probably slower than that. That's why the lighting color changes once or twice during the exposure giving you bands of color. Using the flash may help.

Someone mentioned that he was surprised a picture of a white piece of paper is underexposed. That will always happen with auto exposure. The camera doesn't know the color of the paper, it only measure the light reflected and is calibrated for middle gray. Take a picture of a black object and it will always be overexposed for the same reason. A photographer normally accounts for this by adjusting exposure. Too bad there is no adjustment on an iPhone.

This may not account for all the issues with the iPhone camera, but there are many limitations with any simple camera like the iPhone.

19. Hollow Man macrumors regular

The flash didn't seem to help that much, but I haven't fiddled a lot. It definitely seems that the problem goes away in natural light.

-HM

20. samcraig macrumors P6

Yes - it has the reception issue as well. But I have a case and don't plan on going "naked"

I was debating returning the phone and waiting until whatever "fix" was revealed or if it was determined only some phones had the reception issue. But I do believe I will be unaffected by the issue with the case I have and/or a fix will come from apple. If not - we're all in the same boat - so no need to return, right? lol

This way - I know I at least have a working camera.

21. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

I know ;)

and camera sensors are calibrated for 18% grey ;)

22. Andru1313 macrumors regular

Just tested mine out. Same issue. Big blueish green spot. Sigh

23. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

It's a good job that I'm red/green colour blind
    Otherwise I might be disappointed, but to my eyes, those images are perfect
    Maybe old jobs is colour-blind too