Green Tea Party?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by unid, May 24, 2010.

1. unid macrumors regular

The green tea party - is there such a thing as a green movement within the American Conservative movement much like we have the Conservative MP Zac Goldsmith. I did a bit of searching but all I could find was proponents of 'Climate Denial' which I tend to think is better characterised (perhaps glibly), as 'Human Impact Denial'. I'm just curious to know how wrong I am.

2. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

As far as the tea parties go, their corporate founders are not of the sort that make a profit from "green" ideas and technology, so the parties will downplay or deprecate "green". At the same time, those who use clear English never connect "conservative" with the tea parties and rarely anymore with republicans. If American is not your native dialect, you really need to examine an individual's positions yourself to determine what label to apply to them.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

1st. Why on earth are there not American corporate interests who are desperately fighting for Green energy? We are a democracy, and green energy gets us away from dictators in the middle east? WTF are they thinking? Why on earth are the conservatives throwing their lot in with oil shieks and Arab royalty?

2nd. Clear English? The tea parties are conservative. Actually, they are rapidly becoming the majority of the Republican Party. They loved to demonstrate saying they were the majority of America, so I'd love to hear the Republicans say they weren't the majority of their party.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm a Green. But unlike the Green Tea'ers I believe in government and the role it can play in making society better.

So, no thanks.

I'll pass.

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

IMO, "conservative" has been co-opted by the right-wing. In Europe, the term bears little similarity to American Republican or Tea ideals. Even go back 2 or 3 decades in America to see a striking difference. Calling the right-wing "conservative" is being too charitable.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Indeed it would be more appropriate to describe them as fascist.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Besides it gives you energy security which has to be a good thing...

8. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

So, by tying our national interests to oil shieks and monarchies, we are guaranteeing energy security?

Really?

Does ANYBODY agree with this? Oil resources are finite, right? If there are only a finite amount of oil, then how on earth does bowing to the xalls of the middle east dictators who want to destroy us help us?

(edit) Eraserhead? Really? Are you serious.?

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The reality is that current usage levels cannot be supported by "green"-ish energy sources. To abandon fossil fuels would require some increase in general asceticism. If you do not believe in simplifying the western lifestyle, you cannot truly support "green" (except as a marketing theme).
    There are some who believe that some fraction of oil is constantly being generated by geologic process. Search on "abiotic" or "abiogenic" petroleum to "learn" about this concept (some skepticism should be brought to the study of this material). There are even a few who believe that geologic processes might be enough to satisfy our current needs (which I would suggest shows a general lack of understanding of what kind of time scale "geologic processes" involves).

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The Earth is finite.

Therefore any resource of the Earth must be finite also.