greenpois0n jailbreak screwed up my 4.2.1 iPhone. Why?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by macbook123, Mar 3, 2011.

1. macbook123, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

macbook123 macrumors 68000

I would like to not have data (voice memos, notes etc) or settings erased. The greenpois0n README does not mention whether it keeps data and settings on the phone intact, however it mentions that I will have to re-activate the phone using iTunes after the jailbreak. Does this mean this jailbreak will erase data and settings?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, it will leave everything the way you have right now. It will just JB your phone and put the loader icon on your screen.
    With that you can install cydia and take it from there.
    But to make sure nothing goes wrong you should backup your iphone thru itunes before you attempt the JB.

3. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

OK, I did it and at the end the phone asks to be connected to iTunes. When I connect it iTunes says it has detected a phone in recovery mode which needs to be restored. What did I do wrong?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You did something wrong.
    Sounds like you didnt JB it but you just put it in DFU mode.
    Hold the Home and power button together for 15 seconds to get it out.
    And follow this tutorial. http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12159
    Your iphone was activated and in working order on 4.2.1 before this right?

5. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, 4.2.1 fully working.

I did a restore and then restore from backup. So I'm back to where I was before, I think.

I have a question. If something ever goes wrong and I have to restore the phone to a non-JB iOS, will I be able to use backups created while I had a JB version of iOS installed to restore from? Or will iOS consider these corrupted?

6. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

And btw, I did follow all the instructions correctly, with the only possible difference that I kept the home button pressed indefinitely, because some dude in a Youtube tutorial said it's safer. Am I supposed to release the home button at some point? The greenpois0n instructions don't ever tell me that.

7. Applejuiced, Mar 3, 2011

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can restore using your non-JB backup.
    After you put your iphone in DFU following the GP instructions you click the button that says "Jailbreak!" right? You see a bunch of verbose code on your iphone screen come up?
    Sounds like you put it in DFU mode but didnt JB it.

8. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You have to release the home button when Greenpois0n said jailbreaking and the bar at the lower section starts to move the blue bar up.

9. macbook123, Mar 3, 2011

macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

My question was: will I be able to restore from a JB backup if I have a non-JB phone (e.g. if I ever have to restore to factory settings, as I had to a week ago)?

Yes, I did press the "Jailbreak" button. I did see the verbose code on the screen. I even got to the point were the greenpois0n skull is rotating around the Apple logo. But then it asked me to connect to iTunes (I have autosync off), and when I did that iTunes asked me to restore the phone.

10. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

OK, thanks!

Before I do this I will need to find out if I will be able to use backups created from a JB phone to restore into a non-JB phone.

Last week I had to restore to factory settings and to a "new phone" because of a problem with iTunes. I wasn't able to use my backups, which were created while my phone was jailbroken (I wasn't using the greenpois0n JB at the time). So I lost all my data and settings, which sucked a lot. I would not jailbreak if I run this risk again in the future.

It would be great if any of you with knowledge about this could tell me if I will be able to use backups from a JB phone to restore into a non-JB phone.

11. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes. Never been a problem for me personally.