GreenPois0n worked, in spite of my best efforts to mess it up

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by lanulos, Oct 16, 2010.

1. lanulos macrumors regular

I read on several websites that GreenPois0n was "more robust" than Limera1n, so I decided to use GreenPois0n instead of Limera1n to jailbreak my Ipod touch 3G after newly upgrading via iTunes to 4.1 from 4.0(jailbreakme.com). My experience would certainly support the robustness of GreenPois0n. On first attempt, I got the handling of the Home and Sleep buttons wrong and I had to start over. After waiting for the ipod to reboot I tried again and this time got the jailbreak underway. Eventually the GreenPois0n code started scrolling down, and then it stopped saying something about "firmware download failed after 60000 ms. Giving up." or something like that. It stayed that way for a while, like a minute and a half, and I panicked and force-rebooted by holding the sleep and home until the Apple logo came on. After the home screen came up I didn't see Loader, so I tried the jailbreak again. This time when it got to the "Giving up" message I just let it sit. After maybe 3 minutes it suddenly started scrolling again, and completed! When the home screen finally came up, I couldn't find Loader in my 11 app-flooded pages, so I did an app search and found Loader and ran it. When installing Cydia, the progress bar seemed to hang; after about 5 minutes, I exited with the home button, and the ipod rebooted. When it came back I was able to find and run Cydia. Since then everything has been fine. By the way, during the jailbreak, I had iTunes 10.0.1 installed but not running. The instructions I've read left me confused whether GreenPois0n needs iTunes running, but apparently it doesn't. (I did this on Win XP).

2. Abscissa macrumors regular

I clicked make it ra1n, held the sleep and power button, clicked limera1n, and clicked install cydia and was done. haha

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

+1. OP's tale just seems to show that greenpois0n is buggy and confusing to the end user. I've used both, and much prefer limera1n.

4. lanulos thread starter macrumors regular

Hopefully, I won't have to jailbreak again with 4.1, but if I do, maybe I'll try limera1n. But the problems were mainly caused by me and not GP. If I had followed directions when pressing the buttons, and just let it sit while it until it was done J-B-ing, I would have been fine. I was just glad I didn't brick my ipod when I interrupted it. I forgot advice of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - "Don't Panic".

5. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

nothing is wrong with greenpois0n. I re jb'd after using inital release of limera1n due to some instability.

Mine showed that "giving up" thing too but that was just reading into the paranoia of what the JB was doing in the background - OP just panicked, if he let it work it would've worked the first time. The greenpois0n is straightforward too, it tells you how long to hold each one and goes through the steps automatically. Just needed one click, hold buttons and let go and let it work.

I'm enjoying the greenpois0n release and no random crashes etc anymore yay.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

True, but if it didn't show the background process, there would be no chance of end users seeing that message and panicking. It may be interesting to the geeks, but IMO it was a bad decision to let that process show.

Also, in my experience, it seems like limera1n finishes the jailbreaking process faster, and I find limera1n's button pressing instructions to be as clear, if not clearer, than greenpois0n's.

Anyway, just saying if someone is having problems with greenpois0n, there's no reason not to try limera1n, unless you are holding a grudge against Geohot.