Gregg withdraws as Commerce nominee

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The Obama cabinet nominations are dropping like flies lately.

Kinda falls into "Why didn't you think of that before?" territory, but if he wasn't the right guy for the job, it's just as well that he bows out.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I just watched Gregg's press conference. He seemed to ooze sincerity and said he just didn't think this out beforehand. Feels it was better to realize it now rather than later. I respect the guy for that.

3. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Moving the census from the supposedly non-partisan commerce department to the OBVIOUSLY partisan office of Rahm Emmanuel seems like a ridiculous move by the Obama Administration.

I'd be very surprised if this holds up in court when it inevitably goes there.

4. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's not being moved.

It is, however, interesting to see how quickly conservatives have re-discovered their concerns about abuse of power.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What could you do with a census? :confused:

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Say there's more black people? More minorities in general? That still doesn't make sense. :confused:

7. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Rediscover? I don't know about the rest of "the conservatives" but I've been concerned about 'abuse of power' for quite a while now. I didn't support the Patriot Act for one thing... not to mention my entire predisposition against government power in general.

Thanks for lumping me in with people though and making vague generalizations.... and completely avoiding the issue.... it was very helpful.

Are you kidding? They are the foundation for how redistricting lines are set and basically how the entire political landscape will be determined. That's why it's so important that it stays as bipartisan as possible.

8. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Senator Gregg is the one who had a problem with this. So did the House Republicans who wrote President Obama to express their concerns about this issue.

It's not all about you.

Wish somebody had told that to Tom DeLay when he and his buddies drew up all those screwy districts in Texas after the 2000 census.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The redistricting you'll have to explain to me....

As for the political landscape, so if they SAY more libruls' are in an area, that makes it so? I don't get what you're trying to say at all really.:confused:

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It's quite simple really.

Imagine a state with 7 million people. It will get a total of 10 representatives in the House.

The lines for each district (of 700,000 people) can be drawn very crookedly in order to create "safe" districts for certain parties or to spread out certain groups to make their voting power nill.

Read up on Gerrymandering for more info.

11. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Farewell Gregg. You won't be missed in the job.

Again, another terrible nomination is out (Daschle is one of the others), and Obama is presented with another opportunity to nominate a candidate actually qualified to run a department.

12. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

The list IS getting pretty long, isn't it? I'm also interested in your opinion on how Mr. Emanuel will do in his new position of census chief.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

IIRC, the states do the gerrymandering. The problems with the census at the national level is in how people are counted. Conservatives tend to want to only count actual people who answer the census form, but most everyone else -- including statisticians -- feel that you must use some form of statistical analysis to count those who don't return the forms. The reason conservatives oppose this is that those who don't return the forms are often poor and/or minority, and tend to vote Democratic. So if you're able to say there are a bunch fewer people in a state that trends Democratic, you can suppress the number of total representatives that state gets.

Plus there are a host of federal dollars that are apportioned based on population. Suppressing the count in Democratic states means that you can steer more federal dollars towards "real Americans".

And of course, conservatives make the opposite argument, that liberal statisticians deliberately manipulate the formulas so as to overcount the populace in Democratic-leaning states.

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Well, Emanuel will do a better job at the census than Gregg would have. Someone who has a record of voting to abolish the very department he will be in charge of, and someone who had a history of voting to de-fund the census shouldn't be allowed anywhere near those things. I think moving it would have been completely unnecessary had Obama actually nominated a qualified candidate to run the Commerce Department. We'll see what Obama does with the next candidate, and whether or not he moves the Census back. Unless, of course, he wants to play at "bipartisanship" some more, and nominates another anti-Census anti-Commerce Department Republican to run those very things.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

They do indeed, but NT1440 seemed like he didn't understand how redistricting could be a political problem so I went after that. :)

16. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I still don't see how anything was "moving" anywhere. I'm calling this as an overreaction by the GOP talking heads... again. It's disturbing.

Without a public announcement, and only going off of unnamed sources, the GOP are in full "spin mode" over the idea that the White House would like to even POSSIBLY play a part of the census process.

~ CB