Grev’s guide to IOS 4.2.1 & BB 0.6.15 restore (3GS)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Grevster, May 13, 2011.

1. Grevster macrumors newbie

Are you getting 16xx, 1015 errors? Is the restore failing? Read below and hopefully this will assist you.

Firstly I just want to set the picture, I’m no iPhone expert, I had to read about 20 different articles to fully understand what to do, if this doesn’t work for you please don’t ask me questions as I won’t know the answer.
    Before you continue please make sure you meet the following requirements.

1. You have a iPhone 3GS
    2. You are / were running 4.2.1
    3. You have the saved SHSH files (for version 4.2.1) on either your local system or Cydia’s servers. If you are using your local system I presume you have knowledge of tiny umbrella
    4. A Windows 7/XP system with USB functionality
    5. A Apple Sync cable

***IF YOU DON’T HAVE THE SHSH FILES YOU CAN NOT RESTORE YOUR iPHONE (Apple only sign the latest version)

Follow these steps (Presuming you have the SHSH files on your local computer)

Run Tiny Umbrella

1. Download Tiny Umbrella (hXXp://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/)
    2. Install Tiny Umbrella and move your SHSH files into the required directory (Save SHSH Directory – under the advanced tab)
    3. Start the TSS Server – Make sure you are not running Skype

Make iTunes think your Apple.com (so you can self-sign the restore during the verify)

1. Right click on your desktop, click New>Shortcut
    2. In the “type location of the item” prompt just type “notepad” and press return
    3. Now right click on this new icon on your desktop and click “Run as administrator”
    4. Now open the following file – c:\windows\system32\driverrs\etc\hosts
    5. Now add the following line to the bottom ;

127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

If you have any other references to gs.apple.com enter a hash (#) before the line… EG

127.0.01 gs.apple.com
    #75.X.X.X gs.apple.com

• Save the file and exit, let’s test that worked….
    • Click Start>Run and type CMD, press return. You will get a black command box.
    • Now type “ping gs.apple.com” you should get a reply from 127.0.0.1 (by the way this is your local loopback) If you don’t and get something else clear your DNS cache and try the above again, here’s how to clear the DNS cache

From the black command box again type the following “ipconfig /flushdns”
    Try the ping again, if must have a reply from 127.0.0.1 if this fails again you must have got the hosts file incorrect.

Ok so we now have Tiny Umbrella working and we and pretending to be apple and we have the SHSH file to sign the restore.. we are getting there.

Generate a custom IPSW

You can’t use a stock IPSW file as you have upgraded your BB (06.15.00) I failed here about 10 times until I worked that out. It really does pay to read forums!!!!

1. Download the 4.2 PWNAGE (Sn0wbreeze) tool from here.. (hxxp://ih8sn0w.com)
    2. You will now need the original 4.2.1 IPSW for the iphone 3GS found here (http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/061-9895.20101122.Cdew2/iPhone2,1_4.2.1_8C148a_Restore.ipsw)

Run Snowbreeze and follow the onscreen guide, once this finishes you will have a Custom IPSW file that doesn’t include the BB update.

Ok so we now have Tiny Umbrella working and we and pretending to be apple and we have the SHSH file to sign the restore and we have the custom IPSW… we are getting very close now.

Get your phone into the right state.

Download iREB from here, again… (hxxp://ih8sn0w.com)
    Now run iREB (You need to make sure you are using WIN XP SP 2 compatibility mode or it will throw an error) do this by right clicking on the iReb program>Properties>Compatibility Select “Run this program in compatibility mode for” choose “Windows XP (Service pack 2)”
    Follow the onscreen instructions
    You device should now be in a PWN’d DFU mode

Ok so we now have Tiny Umbrella working and we and pretending to be apple and we have the SHSH file to sign the restore and we have the custom IPSW and the phone is in PWN DFU mode… we are getting incredibly close now.

Update in TUNES

Now open iTunes (make sure tiny Umbrella is still running) hold SHIFT and click on restore, browse to the custom IPSW file we created earlier. The phone will take about 10mins to restore itself. DO NOT SWITCH THE PHONE OFF – GIVE IT TIME.

BANG! You should now have a restored iPhone, please comment below if this worked for you!

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Tinyumbrella does the hosts file work for you. Should not have to edit it yourself.

3. reminis macrumors member

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

To edit your host files on Mac. Right click on finder > go to folder > /etc > scroll down to hosts.

5. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Mac users just substitute pwnage tool for the custom ipsw and use redsn0w to put it into pwnd DFU mode.