Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jotti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
So I just picked up a used 2.4ghz, 4gb ram, 15" macbook pro, a big upgrade for me from my old 1.5ghz 17" powerbook with 1.5gb of ram.

I just received this computer and here are a couple 'issues' or maybe none at all, maybe some of you can shed some light on this for me.

At the top right corner of my screen there is a noticeable grey or darkened spot. Is this evidence of a failing screen? The computer has applecare until mid-09, should I take it in and get them to look at it? Or wait until something really craps out. I hate being without my computer.. its painful!

Second question, for some odd reason I can't figure out my top row keys. The screen dimmer and increase keys don't work and I have played with the system pref settings. Also, my keyboard dim and increase buttons don't work.
I went to system preferences and toggled the fX key option, and it does not seem to do anything. It works the same with or without that option pressed. F11 works in that it shows my desktop and moves the windows I have open out of the way. But I want the volume to work too. Any tips?

Maybe I should have waited two more weeks, is it for sure there is a new release of macbooks coming out? Does that include macbook pro's?

Thanks for the help

kiwicolouredmac

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
I have the same thing on my new macbook. There are several gray spots at the top. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. If I find out whats up I'll pass it along.

bigpants

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
At the top right corner of my screen there is a noticeable grey or darkened spot. Is this evidence of a failing screen? The computer has applecare until mid-09, should I take it in and get them to look at it? Or wait until something really craps out. I hate being without my computer.. its painful!

Thanks for the help

Maybe I have missed the point here, but if it is any use, I have the same thing, I thought that it was a crappy screen but if you look carefully, you will see that it is just the stars from the wallpaper. I hope!!! I felt so dumb.

Either way, I have to return mine after less than a week as the battery has failed and I had to do a reinstall after the system crashed. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.