Griffin car charger doesn’t work with Bumper

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by FieldingMellish, Aug 4, 2010.

1. FieldingMellish Suspended

I bought a Griffin charger today for the car. Bumper prevented the plug from fully seating. Apple Store refunded the price. The blue shirt guy said, “notice how there are no iPhone4 cases on the display wall?” It is because they will not present third party merchandise that does not conform to Apple standards. I figured, why do they stock the Griffin, but realized it is for iPods as well. Meanwhile, no one at Apple probably told the third party manufacturing community that Bumpers would be common on so many iPhone4’s.

2. Derald Lary macrumors member

There are several solutions that have been posted on MacRumors that offers a fix for the problem. One uses a Dremel to rout out the bottom layer in the hole closest to the phone, the other uses an x-acto knife to fix the problem. Worked for me with little effort. A better solution, if your particular Griffin model uses a usb cable from charger to phone, replace it with a standard Apple usb to iPhone cable. The Apple cable will work just fine. Be cautious if you buy an iPhone cable from an ATT store--I did as I thought it was made by Apple as it was white and looked the same in the carton--the plug to the phone was thicker than the one on the Apple cable and had the same problem as the Griffin cable.

3. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

Thanks for the tips. Users now have to pick up the slack, spending more money and effort to get solutions to work the way they were intended to.

4. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Yes, it's really annoying. I've already had to give up on a much-loved Griffin car-charger/mount because of this, and have had to alter some cables to fit my bumper. As I don't like using the Apple cables in my car for a variety of reasons (too long, annoyingly white, etc.) I very carefully began scraping away at a shorter, black cable I have that was closest in size to the bumper's opening, and kept checking frequently until it fit. It's not perfect, and if you examine it, it's not beautiful, but it works.