Griffin Reveal w/Apple Bumper Buttons and Custom White Back *PICS*

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by nelly41, Aug 4, 2010.

1. nelly41 macrumors regular

Well I posted this in my other thread involving my PS Anti Glare, but it wasn't the focal point. I received my Apple Bumper last week and didn't care too much for it. So I took it apart and took out the metal buttons and removed the rubber buttons from the Reveal. I then superglued the buttons onto the reveal. I like the added metal feel and works great! I then printed out the iphone back logo in white on photo paper, cutted down and there you go! The actual colors of the symbol and wording are black instead of silver though. Closes thing to getting the white back w/o having to buy a glass piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chanerz macrumors 6502a

3. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

You have too much time on your hands. I don't think it's worth all the trouble and effort you put forth for this personally.

4. tokiidokii macrumors regular

well done op.

personally i wouldn't have done that because i don't like the reveal at all (had the white and the silicon is garbage imo), but kudos to you though :)

5. LAS22 macrumors regular

nice work. seems an easy enough to do. thanks for sharing. :)

6. barachus macrumors regular

nice work, but a real bumper with a gelaskin white back would look better

7. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

Wow, I was hoping someone would try this mod so I could ask them questions :) I'd like to do this with my Scosche clear+back bumper.
    What did the buttons look like once you removed them from the Apple Bumper? Do you think these buttons would work? I really love the Scosche bumper, but those volume buttons are killing me.

8. nelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

It's two buttons held together with metal plate similar to the one in the link. It depends on your case though cause inhad to cut the plate in half with scissors and trim off most of the metal plate cause the case had two indents for the buttons and if I didn't trim the metal off, it would be protruding out.

9. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

Thanks a lot! Hopefully the one in the link can be trimmed with scissors. I'm gonna give it a shot. If it works I might even do it for all of my cases...those metal buttons really make a big difference aesthetically and functionally. Excellent work!

10. eurotechnik macrumors newbie

cool. one could even use different color paper.

11. mkelly2115 macrumors member

was thinking the same thing. Or you could put any logo on there!

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Disagree. I love seeing the user mods. Keep 'em coming! Good job, OP.

13. nelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I try to think of new things I can do/mod w/o making it overbearing and keeping it simple and slick. lol.

14. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Gah I want to do the buttons with my PixelSkin since I hacked up my bumper trying to make the dock connector bigger, but I'm scared of messing up the PixelSkin. Any tips? How exactly did you adhere the buttons to the case?

15. nelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

I had a belt puncher with different size holes to punch. I chose the size that matches the buttons on the rubber and then punched it out. As for the top button, I used an exacto knife and cut it along the button.

16. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Thanks. How did you remove the buttons from the bumper?

17. nelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

I kept bending and folding the bumper where the buttons are until I was able to pry it out with my fingers. Just make sure to not bend the metal plates. If you do bend it back by pressing against the bended part on a flat surface like a table.