Grinding noise in MBP, went to genius bar and they said they couldn't do anything.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seoskaura, Jan 3, 2013.

1. seoskaura macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro that I bought new in August of 2011. It's been wonderful up until now. Last week, I was watching a lot of Netflix for a day, but then it began making a tiny crackling noise when I started my computer. It wasn't really bothersome, but then it's escalated into a grinding noise. A loud grinding noise. I haven't been watching Netflix and barely use any of my applications. My RPMs vary when I'm idle and can go up to 5000. Sometimes, it falls to as low as 1600.

I went to the Genius Bar today and the technician did two diagnostics to test the HD and the parts as a whole. Everything was fine. I was like, ***. Anyways, I asked if there could be anything done for the fans because I was willing to pay (I'm out of warranty). But he said they couldn't DO ANYTHING. That I would have to deal with the annoying noise. I called up Apple and told them what happened and she said that there was nothing else that could be done.

I am so ****** because I did pay good money for this product and I expect to have the option to repair, ESPECIALLY since I'm willing to pay for the repair. Can anyone tell me what to do? Did anyone ever have this problem?

2. krravi macrumors 65816

Screw the geniuses. Get a replacement fan from iFixit or ebay and you can replace it yourself. Not a big deal.

3. seoskaura thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't want to eff up my MBP.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Search Apple's website to see if there is an authorized repair center (non-Apple-owned) in your area. They may be more willing to do a paid repair.

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's almost impossible to screw up installing 2 fans :p

6. seoskaura thread starter macrumors newbie

But to unscrew the MBP and then unlodging them...O.O WHAT IF I BREAK IT

7. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Just take your time. Lots of videos and photos of taking apart the MBP. Use iFixit for reference.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

My take is the Geniuses are saying, "We can replace fan all day (ur money) but they can't guarantee it would fix the noise."

9. krravi macrumors 65816

But where else could the grinding noise come from?

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If the noise varies following temp then indeed it has something to do with the fan BUT there maybe other variables involved, such as warp casing around the fan and twisted snuff to affect even a new fan.

11. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

If your fans drop down to 1600 RPM, then there's something definitely wrong with them. The minimum speed they should spin at is ~2000 RPM.

12. krravi macrumors 65816

My guess is excess heat has warped the fan blades or most probably the ball bearing in the fans gave out.

Wonder if the OP played a lot of Windows games on the laptop without enough cooling, causing the fans to wear out sooner.

13. calpolygraduate macrumors regular

14. thundersteele macrumors 68030

So you're saying that the fans will wear out from doing their job (i.e. cooling the machine)?

15. krravi, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013

krravi macrumors 65816

All fans wear out. They are not perpetual machines.

What I meant by that is when running Windows on Mac, the fans are in binary state. As in, they never spin according to the temp. But once the temo reaches a threshold they kick in at full speed. Whereas in a Mac its linear. The fan speed increases as the temp increases so the temp comes down quickly.as Apple doesn't supply the necessary drivers or people download third party software to control the fans. And it is never linear from my experience. It just blows like a jet engine or not. That kind of use can wear a fan out quick.

16. Mrbobb macrumors 601

That's why when I upgraded I wanted a silent passively cooled. Toshiba used to make one, no more :(

17. seoskaura thread starter macrumors newbie

The noise started after a day where I was Netflixing pretty much for hours. @_@.

----------

The Genius Bar checked the HD and it's fine.

----------

The noise basically sounds like this.

http://youtu.be/naxUUpHJ4a0

18. krravi macrumors 65816

Yes netflix is also intensive.

The sound seems like something is caught up in the fan.

19. leman macrumors 604

Well, if Apple said they can't do anything it means they were not able to identify the problem. If you think that a fan replacement may help, then you can specifically ask them for a fan replacement. But what if it isn't the fan?

20. seoskaura thread starter macrumors newbie

All the tech did were two diagnostics connected by a cable. They didn't open it or anything to check.

And if you listen to the video, it's the fan. Even when I'm typing, I can feel it running under the keyboard.

When I turned it on this morning, the noise was the first thing that happened.

21. seoskaura thread starter macrumors newbie

Here are my specs for iStats. My MBP was making a small crackling noise and then it went back to the grinding noise. Temps in Celsius

[​IMG]

22. snaky69 macrumors 603

Change your fan, problem solved?

Surely you're able to handle a screwdriver (AKA the only tool needed?)

23. krravi macrumors 65816

Agree. Time to open that thing up and put the fans to rest..:)

24. AlphaDogg, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013

AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Why are people advocating to void your warranty?

OP: go through the warranty route. It costs you nothing (provided you have AppleCare) and there's a guarantee you won't break anything.

Edit: Oops I didn't read that you're out of warranty until now.

25. snaky69 macrumors 603

That would be why. If he was in warranty, Apple would've fixed it in the first place, and he would not be posting here.