Groundbreaking High School for LGBT Students to Open

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 7, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/groundbreaking-high-school-for-lgbt-students-to-171414115.html
    hope they find the peace they are looking for.

2. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

peace only comes when either You stop caring what others think or others stop being Asshats. it is not hard to figure out what one will happen first.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    That's what I'm thinking. This could be one of those "road to hell is paved with good intentions" sorta situations.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I think it's a good thing. Plenty of LGBT kids feel socially segregated in regular schools anyways. At least they will have a better time interacting with a much larger group of people that will not judge them and/or are similar, compared to only a very small group at a other schools.

6. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

But what happens afterwards? Self segregation doesn't do them any favors, especially after they graduate and go into the real world.

7. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I kinda think it's a good idea as long as everyone is welcome, it's just to bad that it would have to come to this. My only concern is that the teachers will be the regressive feminist type, for the sake of the children I hope I am wrong.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

They still live in the real through out school. They just don't have to deal with any bias lunacy while being educated. Segregated boys and girls schools turn out okay. So what makes segregated LGBT schools any differ?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2016 ---
    That's a valid concern.

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Got a feeling only extreme cases would go there, kids/teens who can't get away from the bullies

10. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

K-12?

A private high school I can see, maybe, even though it's just a band-aid on a much larger problem.

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Good luck with LGBT utopia...until it isn't.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/lgbt-racism/

12. unlinked macrumors 6502a

13. dec. Suspended

dec.

While the idea of offering a - at least in regards of sexual orientation - harassment-free environment sounds good at first, I don't like the idea of segregation either. On the other hand, it's not like they are being completely isolated from the world and some people have a harder time dealing with their sexual orientation and the possibility of being bullied than others - as jkcerda said - the extreme cases probably will be happy to accept an opportunity like this. I would imagine that the school would make the students well aware of the artificial bubble they are living in and that things possibly can be different once they leave school.

As for ending up with "the regressive feminist type" as teacher - those worries are pretty much as valid as those of ending up with an extreme "Christian" teacher who falls on his knees and spontaneously "prays" to his "lord" every time something bad happens. Not the ideal model role for preparing kids for the real world either, but just because these types may exist, they do not represent a serious concern.

You'll find racists among any demographics, that does not mean that it is a specific part of any "LGBT utopia". That would be just as silly as saying that "blacks live in a black utopia" just because homophobia appears to be a big issue among the black population.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/aaron-anson/resistant-homophobia-in-t_b_997328.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homop...#Homophobia_in_the_African_American_community

[anecdotal evidence]And "funny enough", I've definitely met far more racist and/or homophobic blacks that I've met racist (and/or self-loathingg) gays - actually I can't recall a single one[/anecdotal evidence]

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Couldn't you say the same thing about blacks? Plenty of them feel socially segregated in regular schools anyways. At least the black kids will have a better time interacting with a much larger group of people that will not judge them and/or are similar, compared to only a very small group at other schools.

15. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I'm sorry to tell you, but they are all over the place. Just look at his teacher who would not let boys play with lego.

http://www.bainbridgereview.com/news/343127562.html

I have a feeling that a teacher like the above would more likely work at a LGBT school than a Ultra Conservative Christian teacher.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Actually, black private boys and girls school exist. The most notable one being in Harlem. Then you have HBCUs.

Of course any race is free to enroll in any grade school or university that caters to to any specific group. But nobody would choose to work or enroll in a specfic school if they don't want to be around specific groups. This makes the learning environment much more friendly.

17. dec. Suspended

dec.

Denying boys some lego bricks is almost as upsetting as brainwashing them with some mythology. So yeah, we'll keep looking for the perfect educational environment :) .

http://www.ibtimes.com/how-conservative-christian-colleges-treat-sexual-assault-campus-1749980

18. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

for those folks, apparently yes. sad.

19. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I'm all for restriction any teacher that preaches religion, feminism or other hateful ideologies in a public school.

As for your link, did you really have much expectations from a religious institution?

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I could see that. But at the same time, separating gay kids into their own school won't do a thing to put an end to it. More likely, it'll make them more of a tempting target.

It could be seen as a given measure of relief for those suffering, but scooting them off to the side won't do a thing to make the world a better place.

21. samiwas macrumors 65816

Since it's voluntary and a solution to a problem, I don't see an issue with it. It's not forced segregation.

If your choice is to stay in a regular school and be harassed or attacked, or to go to a different school which is more inclusionary, what would you do?

as for the real world, it's very different from school. Once you graduate high school, it's completely different when it comes lgbt issues. Most people in college don't care, and most in the world don't care. But, in school, it can get brutal.

22. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Proper solution would have been: provide more building/lego blocks, for all kindergarteners. Dumb teacher.

23. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

I couldn't care less since it's a private school. I was worried that it would be public.

24. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

As a teacher and an LGBT individual, this is not a good solution. It seems like a good thing on its face, but it's not. Separation, isolation, and self segregating is not the answer. We need to create tolerant and respectful classrooms for all students and staff, period. This gives whatever schools these kids are coming from a pass to continue whatever behavior they found hurtful.

25. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It probably depends on the school and its demographic. I would say that they need to be able to interact with people who cannot relate to their sexuality. Otherwise it places many restrictions on where they can lead a satisfying life beyond issues like dating.

That is mostly opinion, but it can be a problem with the social justice warriors. Many of them push their own brand of tribalism.