Group asks Trump to withdraw Wisconsin judicial nominee who says Bible precedes the Constitution

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mudslag, Aug 2, 2017.

1. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

http://www.wisconsingazette.com/new...cle_edb9c39a-6ff6-11e7-8fb7-5f13d109a205.html

She should have no place on the bench.

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

how could someone like that be a professor at Notre Dame Law School? it does not sound like the gives a **** about the law.

3. SoggyCheese macrumors regular

SoggyCheese

Maybe UK, Maybe Spain, maybe even elsewhere
    Appealing to this Administration? Consider her appointed.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

if that is how she feels then she should be in the kitchen and be submissive to her husband.......

5. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

People who believe in God can't be professors at a private catholic university? o_O

6. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

[​IMG]

(this or the more frantic looking John Stewart one)

Will be interesting to see what happens.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 2, 2017 ---
    Agree.

How could she be a Uni Prof?

STONE HER!

(heavy dose of sarcasm)

7. darksithpro macrumors regular

Ironic, as the Bible also says you should follow your Governments laws.

8. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I knew there was a reason I hated that book....

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

people that believe their faith trumps the law they are supposed to be teaching ? yes.

10. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I'm not sure how her beliefs would prevent her from teaching law.

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This person should not be a judge.

anywhere.

12. darksithpro macrumors regular

Well, the same argument can be said about a Muslim nominee. Would liberals here concur?

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yes it does. Even if it did not, our Constitution says there's no established religion, therefore neither the Bible nor any other scripture has a particular place in our law books, except to the extent common law precursors borrowed from the likes of the golden rule etc. But if it's not codifed in our law books, it ain't the law.. and interpreting law as subordinate to religious belief is a crock.

How can people who are afraid of Sharia law "coming to a courtroom near you" in the USA want someone like this on the bench.

The right wing in this country must have a bureau drawer full of mismatched socks at home judging from their assorted enthusiasms as regards the law and religion.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Like Trump will allow a Muslim anywhere near him.

15. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I guess if you think a judge should judge you based on their faith and not the law then I can see it is no big deal to you. but that is against the laws of the united states.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 2, 2017 ---
    really? did that Muslim claim their faith will be what a person is judged by? it has nothing to do with Christianity it has to do with using your faith to make law.

16. darksithpro macrumors regular

So, if there is separation of church and state, why does our currency read "IN GOD WE TRUST?"

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If that person believed the muslim religion precedes the constitution I would concur.

And I'm a liberal.

18. darksithpro macrumors regular

Or, perhaps using their faith to aspire to be a very good human being will make proper judgments, based on fairness, equality, love for others and the law.

19. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I don't care what religion it is, religious beliefs don't trump US law and the constitution.

20. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well unless your a person she thinks should be in hell or is a sinner right?

21. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

You can believe that the will of God is supreme and still respect, follow, and even teach the laws of the society you live in. In fact, the Bible instructs this. They're not mutually exclusive Steve. You don't have to be so fearful of non-Muslim believers.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

If the Muslim nominee says the Koran shall prevail over what our law says, then he or she is not different from this apparently Christian woman who says the Bible should prevail.

Are we edging into stuff like rabbinical courts here or still talking about regular courts of civil and criminal law bound by the US code? If the former, secular law allows enforcement of rabbinical decisions only when the two parties have agreed in advance to that form of arbitration, otherwise the parties are using the court as a mediator and they are still bound by secular law notwithstanding. Similarly with other religions having "courts" to resolve family-related matters amongst orthodox or conservative believers.

Do you want someone intepreting the US laws in terms of the Bible when it suits him or her to do so? Bible's a fascinating book but...

23. mudslag thread starter macrumors regular

mudslag

Oh course, I dont care what religion one holds, religious views should NEVER trump our laws. A better question is how would the religious Right, at least those who support her, feel about a Muslim holding the bench with a similar view to hers. I got a feeling many of her supporters would have an issue.

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

25. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Because, for the most part, Christians aren't calling for a brutal, repressive, bible-based theocracy. As far as I know, there isn't really a modern-day school of thought in Christianity that is like the idea of Sharia law and a caliphate.