Gruber on 3rd party apps "They suck. They’re really, really slow."

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mchoffa, Apr 17, 2015.

1. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

2. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

I listened to that podcast last night. It was quite interesting. It's clear that Gruber has some reservations about the watch, even if he's generally positive. He and Joanna Stern were pretty negative about several parts of the OS, and how you launch apps, etc. They both said that it's an incredibly ambitious first-gen product, and that not everything is quite there yet. I still can't wait to try mine.

3. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

Definitely a software issue apple will have to fix. Other reviewers have had success with the Uber app though.

I would suggest Apple make the icons larger on the universe menu, maybe just a setting like on the iPhone 6 Plus for those with bigger fingers.

Easy fix that will definitely polish out. I have a feeling I'm not gonna be navigating the menu too much, ill put my apps in glances.

----------

Using the stock apps and menu in store and I didn't really notice an issue with hitting the menu icons, but it was on a display and not my wrist.

4. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

It is a bit difficult, even the Apple store helping me some issues with hitting the right icon, over scrolling etc. I'm sure it will improve in time.

5. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Gruber has pretty much hated on the watch and openly admitted he's clueless about how it would be useful from the very beginning. With that kind of negative outlook, all it's going to do is foster further complaints about issues that are not really a problem. My wife, daughter, and myself all tried out the watch at the store and nobody had any issues activating apps from the home screen. It didn't even occur to me it would be a problem. The complication touch targets, the small circles, are no better touch targets than the apps in the home screen.

At any rate, it's pretty clear the intended general use of the device has you launching apps out of notifications or glances anyway, as part of a contextual workflow. So I predict over the coming year, this will all be a total non-issue. It's really hard to take these sit-at-home-99% of the time bloggers very seriously on devices like these anymore. The more personal, and lifestyle related Apples products become, the less and less relevant the views of ultranerds are to the rest of us.

It's the same thing with the new MacBook. Nearly every single blogger/news dork said the keyboard was bad. Ok whatever. I tried it at the Apple Store. I am in love with that keyboard. I've never liked a keyboard so much. I've also never understood the obsession with key travel. I want the least amount of travel I can get while still having detectable feedback. Why wouldn't it? The less effort required to type, the faster I can go. They whine about the arrow keys... you get used to new keyboard layouts in time. It's like 90 year old men griping about "kids these days" and Gruber complains about these sort of things right in that class. I mean, keyboard-wise, the guy desperately clings to outdated typewriter-emulating clicky keyboards. Which, fine, more power to him, but, if you're going to take an opinion from a stranger, I'd hope you make sure that stranger's lifestyle and use of the product class is a close lock on your own. Otherwise, it's just noise.

6. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I expect the OS and interface to be pretty horrific at launch. But I also expect it will be 100 times better in 6-12 months. This is just the way it goes.

7. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

Really? I read his site daily and I've never seen anything that made me think he hated the watch.

8. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

The OS will improve over time. If you don't want it at first launch then cancel your pre order so I can get mine faster :cool:

9. ninjadex macrumors 6502

Gruber mentioned they suck, but only proceeds to give one example, Uber.

But I'm sure that he spent the time to test every single app that's added a Watch extension, right? ;)

10. mdmt619 macrumors member

The Verge had the same complaint in their review - Apple told them there would be an update to address slow 3rd party apps before the watch launches.

11. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

This surprises me, based solely on his somewhat upbeat Apple Watch review.

12. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I don't quite get your take on Gruber "hating on the watch" but I do have to agree about the keyboard. I used it for 10 minutes in the store and was flying along - loved it.

13. ZombiePartie macrumors member

I tested apps I developed on an actual device, and tbh, they were not slow at all.

14. adambird macrumors 6502

Does anyone know the time frame in that podcast that they talk about the Watch? I've just started it ant they're talking about dogs lol

15. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Just set your expectations really low, I mean dialup-low, and everything will be tiptop! :D

16. mightyjabba macrumors 65816

mightyjabba

They talk about the watch throughout the entire podcast, but the part about third party apps is very close to the end -- last 30 minutes I think.

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I know someone who was in love with the rMB since it was announced, pre-ordered and got it a couple of days ago, and is returning it because he finds the keyboard too hard to use. So it's a very personal preference.

18. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I listen to his podcast and he tries to hedge his position, but, his phrasing and voice "in the moment" give him away. For months after its announcement, when it came up, he always started by saying he didn't get it. Most of his opinion has been guarded negativity mostly built around not understanding why someone would want it (while simultaneously building up a contrived opinion about watches in general, almost as uninformed and fake as his opinions on video games and photography.) But, that's just projection. For him, it's probably not a useful product. If you don't have a genuine interest in a tool like this, you're just going to see the downsides. Hammers are heavy. Wrenches are cold. And batteries on drills are annoyingly short lived. All of those are true "facts" that are meaningless to anyone who actually needs those tools and realizes why those attributes are present.

19. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I think his complaints on the watch are valid, if they are true. I didn't use the Watch enough at the Apple Store to determine if the homescreen was cumbersome or not, and I didn't use any third part apps on it (were there even any?).

Actually, one of the things I'm most excited for when I get my watch are the updates and improvements they'll add to it over time. Who knows what the watch will be like a year from now??

20. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

So even when arguably the most well respected Apple pundit has criticisms, the fanboys find a way to discredit his opinions. Amazingly predictable.

Anyway, it sounds like things like the home screen layout and navigation can be fixed relatively easily through software updates, but I would guess there's a limit to how much can be done about 3rd party app performance without running them natively, which would probably require better hardware/battery performance.

21. ninjadex macrumors 6502

He honestly didn't expand on the topic very much. Just a blanket "they suck" to 3rd party apps. Guess we'll find out in a week.

22. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

He's been nothing but positive about it. For the past couple of months that's almost all he's talked about on his podcast and he's been very supportive of it. I don't know where you got the idea that he doesn't like it but you're wrong.

23. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I think it was Joanna that said she never got a third party app to launch, and Jon only ever got the uber app to launch. Every other time, the apps would load forever.

24. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

You should listen to the whole podcast so you get a better idea of how he feels about the watch before getting to this part. But if you must 2:09:00 into the podcast

25. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

I spent about a half hour with a watch in the store and it worked great. I have big hands and the universe page didn't bother me at all, it seemed very accurate and opened whatever I wanted with my big mitts.