GSM to CDMA software switch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dy123, Jul 4, 2012.

1. dy123 macrumors newbie

I have a Verizon 4s. Had the sim successfully unlocked. I can put in a foreign carriers sim and roam here on AT&T or be active on their network when traveling.

Problems is that whe I come home I have to take out the sim to deactivate the CDMA and be back on Verizon.

Is there a software way to do this? Choose between CDMA and gsm. It isn't that huge of a issue but I have to do it so many times that it would be easier to have a software solution.

I don't mind jailbreaking if there would be an app that would help me accomplish this.

Thanks

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

GSM and CDMA are different radios which are built into the phone.

If it was only software driven, people would be switching from one to the other all the time.

3. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

iPhone 4S has both radio's built in.

OP- Not quite understanding your problem. Over sea's just pop in a foreign sim card and the phone will utilize GSM automatically. Come back home and once a Verizon signal is found the phone will use the CDMA airwaves.

4. taedouni macrumors 65816

He is saying that he wonders if there is a way to keep a foreign sim card inside the Verizon 4S and just switch between CDMA/GSM. When I came back to the US Verizon was not an option for me. AT&T and Tmobile were. The only way I could get back onto Verizon's network was by taking the foreign sim card out of my phone.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I don't know about a Jailbreak solution, but this is how Apple designed the software to work.

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

You would just have to put the Verizon SIM card back in, that way it would stop the No SIM card inserted nag messages even though you're on CDMA

7. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

If you're talking about utilizing both, then no. No software at the moment that can do that, all you can do is leave the sim out

8. dy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

It works perfectly when I put a foreign sim in. I just have to take out the sim card to get it back to CDMA. I was hoping I could leave the sim in and somehow with a "slider switch" deactivate it.

I travel back and forth weekly and it makes it a pain to take the case off and get the sim tool, etc, etc. (I guess I should not complain).

It is a Verizon phone that is both CDMA and GSM capable. It’s interesting that when I leave the sim in and am here in the US is roams on AT&T.

I thought someone would have figured a software way out to select GSM or CDMA. I guess I’ll have to keep waiting.

Thanks

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Apple (Verizon?) really screwed up this concept. With an old BB Storm on Verizon, you could choose in the settings whether you wanted to use GSM mode or CDMA mode.

I blame Verizon more for choosing to go CDMA. Thank God for LTE and bringing SIM cards to Verizon.