GSM unlocking policies of Verizon and Sprint

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Grimsrud, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Grimsrud macrumors member

Every account I've read about those two carriers policies on unlocking the GSM slot of the iPhone 4S only mentions an ability to use "foreign" SIM cards while overseas. I was wondering if they somehow prevent you from using an AT&T SIM card on the phones they unlock for customers.

2. bgtrack macrumors regular

bgtrack

There aren't AT&T networks over seas...I would use a foreign sim.

3. Grimsrud thread starter macrumors member

I want to know if a phone that was unlocked by Sprint or Verizon could use an AT&T SIM in the United States. If this is possible, it will make unlocked 4S's lest costly in the US, and possibly force AT&T to reconsider their stupid policy of unlocking any phone but the iPhone.

4. jkeekij macrumors regular

Can't speak for sure on the 4S, but when I had my Blackberry Storm that was Verizon unlocked I could use any SIM in it including T-Mobile and AT&T. Don't know for sure if it is different on the iPhone.

I could unlock my wifes 4S, but then I don't have an AT&T SIM to try. :D

5. b24pgg macrumors 65816

This is not possible on Verizon. I don't know enough about Sprint's situation.

Verizon employs an MNC/MCC restriction which prevents US SIM cards from being used even after a carrier unlock has been applied. They've done this for several of their GSM-capable devices.