GTX285-How do you uninstall the OSX ATI 4870 drivers & the Bootcamp 4870 drivers?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AppleWorking, Jun 13, 2009.

1. AppleWorking macrumors regular

On Mac OSX: I would think it's best to uninstall the OSX ATI 4870 drivers before installing the GTX285 drivers, but how do you do this??? Is there any easy way to do this?

On Windows Vista: Is there some kind of utility for Vista that will uninstall the ATI 4870 drivers cleanly? I also noticed that when Bootcamp was installing it installed not only the ATI 4870 drivers but the Nvidia drivers for the 120. I only have the 4870 in my 2009 quad, but I could see bootcamp installing the 120 drivers as well. :rolleyes: How can I get all of these drivers off completely before installing the 285 drivers?

Thanks

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Why would you wanna do this?

Then go ahead and uninstall the 7300, 2600, 8800, X1900 drivers too.

But it will just make your system fragile.

Driver conflicts do not exist with graphic cards on OSX

3. noushy macrumors regular

Drivers

No need to remove the mac drivers, just install the nvidia drivers that came with the 285 GTX and then shutdown the machine, install the new card and reboot. Works flawlessly. All MacOS versions have multiple video card support, and 10.5.7 will support all previous Apple cards. On vista, uninstall the driver, shutdown, reboot with new card, install new driver.

Peace,
    Noushy

4. xintasprint macrumors newbie

So what do you do if your 8800GT is dead and OSX will not boot up to install the new 285gtx drivers. And you live in a remote area with no extra 8800gt cards floating around to borrow?

Windows has native VGA drivers so no problem there but OSX?

Will OSX at least let you start up with the 285 in the slot whilst you install the drivers?

5. netkas macrumors 65816

u can install 285, startup osx into single user mode

then do this commands:

mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NVDA*

then u can reboot and get osxto output in vesa/uga mode, then u can install drivers