Guess we won't see a new 15" rMBP until Quad-Core Broadwell CPUs...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WorldIRC, Mar 9, 2015.

1. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

Thoughts? I guess this makes sense. Since there are no Quad-Core Broadwell CPU's yet, and none with Iris Pro, there is not yet a refresh of the 15" rMBP...

2. peanuthead macrumors member

So have the 15 inch rMBP been untouched this round?

3. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

That is correct. There are no Broadwell Quad CPU's yet nor is there Iris Pro with Broadwell yet.

4. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Although I'm not look for a new rMBP, it would have been nice to see a dGPU update and a force touch trackpad. Thanks a bunch Intel.

5. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

These will both probably come when the new CPUs are out.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Apple jumped to Skylake straight away instead.

Bloody Intel twats holding up the entire tech industry. Delaying Broadwell was bad enough already, and if they delayed Skylake even further just because they didn't want to clash with Broadwell...

7. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Strangely enough, the real culprits here are AMD. I have immense respect for them but they have fallen really behind as far as high end computing power goes. They might have stayed vaguely competitive in the low-medium end, but Apple mainly operate in the mid-high range in all their products. In that area, AMDs offerings might as well be space heaters with an abacus stapled to them.

When AMD start to be competitive again (and I have hope), Intel might pull out the stops again.

8. vbedia macrumors regular

That's possible too; Apple releasing a 15'' rMBP based on Skylake late this year. However, I don't expect Intel to launch Cannolake next year, at least not the type of processors the 15'' rMBP requires. That means there would be no refreshment for the 15'' in 2016. I don't think Apple wants that.

To me it makes more sense to launch the 15'' with Broadwell this year, and next year with Skylake. But again it doesn't have to make sense to me for it to happen.

9. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Bah, apple should've given the 15 whatever they could today, and updated the CPU/GPU later this year. Get the whole lineup on the same trackpad at the same time.