Guess what? Biden is a liar too!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CorvusCamenarum, Sep 23, 2008.

1. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

But that's not entirely how it happened. Alcohol was not involved. Read for yourselves and find out more.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080904/NEWS02/809040379/1006/NEWS02

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

if THIS becomes a reason that biden falls to the GOP i will be furious. He said "allegedly" meaning he wasnt sure. And for christs sake it killed part of his family, u think he might mispeak just bit out of anger?

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

An appalling lack of integrity on Biden's part. His wife pulled out of a minor road into the path of a truck. This is not mis-speaking, it is an outright lie.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Apparently you have no idea of what the word "allegedly" means.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Well considering he has said it twice, once being back in 2001, I would say is very aware of the scenario.

Sure he might speak out of anger but that doesn't give him the right to lie and further hurt the other family involved in the accident. I doubt anything will come of this (mainly cause there is more important things to worry about) but if we are going to nitpick on how many cars McCain has then this is certainly fair game.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...so you wouldn't be bitter if this happened to you? At least he wasn't the one driving the truck. This looks more like bitterness to me. Trust me, I've been through this kind of thing, people say things for years that they probably shouldn't.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Biden appears to be the only person doing the alleging.

8. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Bitter? Yes. Knowingly maligne the other driver and, by extension, the other driver's family? No. You aren't the only person who has "been through this kind of thing."

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

"Probably"?

10. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Let's adjust that just a bit:
    Apparently the media has no idea of what the word "allegedly" means.

Most people don't care about "allegedly". They hear the accusation and that's enough for them. Biden ought to be pretty familiar with this notion, given his track record with certain legislation.

11. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I'm sure this thread was started in response to the Can Sarah Palin Tell the Truth thread.

If either one of these stories is considered relevant in choosing a candidate, the person doing the choosing is clearly not old enough to vote. Silly, imho. :)

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Point being that when these things happen, people say all sorts of horrible things for years. And as others have said already, this is no better than the threads about McCain's cars and houses. And no- people shouldn't say these things, but they do all the time.

13. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

It does seem a bit unbalanced that while every third thread these days is about McCain or Palin, so far Biden has gotten very little scrutiny here. To, ahem, allege, that a VP will have no impact on a presidency is silly (just look at Cheney), and we've certainly spared no expense at scrutinizing Palin.

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I don't know about you but I like to learn as much information on possible candidates before an election. I doubt anyone on here would base their decision on this information anymore then someone wouldn't vote for McCain cause he has a bunch of cars.

Today I learned a little more about Biden. I learned that despite the evidence that was found he continues to claim that a drunk hit his family when in fact it didn't. Unless he makes a public apology to this family anytime soon then I will assume I learned a little more about his character and how he reacts to monumental events in his life.

Like NBC says... The More You Know.

15. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I've never alleged that the VP will have no impact on the presidency, just that they have little impact on the election.

If the VP was really a way to get or lose votes, Bush would have never won. I think Cheney scares the crap our of most people and were the VP a point of consideration for average voters Bush would have lost in 2000, or 2004.

While it's unfortunate that Biden has lied about this personal matter, and hurt the other family involved, it is not quite to the same level as the distortions the McCain campaign is doing to Obama's policies, or voting record.

Biden's lie has very little to do with his government record or proposed policies and is mainly a personal matter, and he's not using it as a basis for why we should elect the Obama/Biden ticket.

If he were bringing up this story at every speaking engagement/interview, or if he brings it up at any point in the next 45 days or so, he should be called out on it just as McCain, Obama, Palin and any other candidate should be called to task by the press for their lies and truth bending.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

He should undoubtedly apologise to the family of the man he has slandered.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. My only assertion is that I could understand why he might say such a thing, given the resulting consequences for his family.

18. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

With that I agree, as should the press for latching onto, and bringing up this story repeatedly.

As for the comparability to the McCain camps lies, I don't think this hits the same level. He's not using it as a campaign issue and it has little relevance to his voting record or proposed policies, and he hasn't brought it up since 2007 if the article is accurate.

That being said if he were bringing it up as often as Palin and her "thanks but no thanks" and McCain and his "sex ed for Kindergarteners" and other blatantly false ads, I'd be all for slamming him just as hard as we hit McCain and Palin.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

As we've heard every time a McCain or Palin lie comes to light -- all politicians lie. It's really no big deal. :rolleyes:

But seriously, Biden should know better than this. I'll be interested to see if he owns up to this or not.

20. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Yes, but the thread title implies that Biden lies as much as McCain/Palin. We think that Biden has lied a few times over the course of 7 years about a terrible personal tragedy that happened 26 years ago. If he lied, he has hurt the loved ones of the family of the driver. If true, that should be condemned.

(all we know is that the driver wasn't charged, and therefore probably wasn't over the legal limit. We know nothing about the allegations Biden has supposedly heard about the guy drinking his lunch. It's probably not true, and probably even a lie, but we don't KNOW that from the evidence provided)

We KNOW that McCain and Palin lie numerous times DAILY about issues that affect and could hurt MILLIONS of people. And these are lies about things that happened in the last decade, last year, last week, last day, tomorrow, next year, etc.

One of many, many examples. Maybe it seems pretty innocuous to say "Sarah Palin knows more about energy than anyone in the United States." (you don't really believe that's the truth, do you?) Well, when this person who is the biggest expert in the country then says that we don't need to invest in alternative, renewable energy, that helps their oil friends, hurts our job market, continues our dependence on foreign oil, and hurts us and the world for GENERATIONS to come. I guess she says that because Alaska doesn't get hurricanes, Alaska stands to gain from the near-sighted energy policies, and until she joined McCain's ticket she didn't believe that humans had anything to do with global warming. Maybe it's because she believed her lie that Alaska provides 20% of domestic energy, and figures that's sizeable enough that we can really survive with "drill baby drill." Maybe she hasn't read what the Department of Energy has said about it (if she knows more than them, I guess she doesn't need to?) -- that by 2030, opening drilling would increase total domestic supply by 7%, and that it would NOT affect international prices AT ALL.

There are examples of that down the line.

The reason we then comment on unimportant lies, is that there are SO many lies about important things, the lies about trivialities (asking her family before accepting McCain's offer, number of cars) make it even more over-the-top.

21. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

So Biden sounds a little mental and hasnt quite gotten over it. I would believe an event like that would be quite traumatic and long lasting to say the least.

He, most likely, in his mind, refuses to come to terms with the fact that his wife may have played part in the accident, that it may have been her fault.

He lost his family members so I will cut him some slack, but if were calling out lies, then a lie is a lie.

My question is this, is he using this false story for political gain?... Or is he still venting in the loss of his family?...

22. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

There is no if's, he lied so we can now get that out of the way. Also, I don't see anything in the thread title that says Biden lies as much as the GOP, just that he is a liar too. You might imply it the other way though.

Also, no need to post for me a huge list of McCain/Palin lies like I'm oblivious to the rest of the election. I'm very aware of lies proposed by both parties. I could spend 10 minutes on the Internet and develop a long list for both parties, it's politics isn't it? Either way it doesn't matter since I more than likely won't vote for either the Republicans or the Democrats because both go against what I would prefer.

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If Biden knows this is not true, he needs to shut up about it, for the good of himself, his campaign, and not least of all the driver's family.

I'm not gonna give the excuse that he is bitter. Other people manage to work beyond stuff like this, especially after decades have gone by. Maybe he still needs to work on that.

Don't get me wrong, I think Biden is a decent man; I just think he needs to control his mouth. (Not that anyone else has ever said that about him. ;) )

24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think Biden should just do the honorable thing: (1) apologize publicly for his statements, (2) not bring this issue up again, particularly to use the death of his family members as a grandstanding platform.

I don't think it compares to anything or puts him on a level with anyone or anything like that. I just think he needs to just properly dress this wound and then stop picking at the scabs.

25. jplan2008 macrumors regular

I inferred you're comparing quantity and severity because you said Biden's a liar too exclamation point, not Biden has lied, or here's a story where Biden lied

There IS in fact an if.

The article linked quoted a family member saying it was a lie, and the following
    "If it were some part of a cause of the accident, there would have been a charge, simply because if you're driving under the influence and kill someone in the process -- whether it's the wife of a U.S. senator or anybody else -- there's going to be a charge," he said.

Herlihy said investigators discussed several possible causes for the crash, including that Biden's first wife, Neilia, turned her head and didn't see the oncoming truck as she exited the intersection of Limestone and Valley roads on Dec. 18, 1972."

Sorry, that DOES NOT SAY:

"The driver's blood alcohol level was zero, he did not drink at lunchtime, and Biden knows it because I told him so."

Does it sound like a lie? Yes. Would I be surprised about a lie? No. But "if he had been under the influence, we would have charged him" is NOT saying there was no alcohol in his blood. And, again, is certainly not saying what Biden knows or not about it.

Compelling? Yes. Proof? No.

And it is not because I'm going to vote for the ticket with Biden. I watched a video about McCain with ex POW's who included US reps and others, who claimed they had knowledge that McCain had lied about his time as a POW, and was and an article that referred to 1000's of documents that indicated the same, but I said the same thing. Compelling, but not evidence.

One should be looked into, IMO, because it involves the possibility that hundreds of MIA's died because no one went back to get them, and the possibility that McCain knowingly played a part in leaving them behind to die, and millions of voters will probably vote for McCain ONLY because he's a POW.

The one about Biden is not an issue to me, because I don't think there are any politicians who don't lie and hurt people with their lies. It certainly doesn't indicate he's less honest than anyone else, although I don't condone the behavior. If he did that to embellish his speech, that is not affecting the election. So, yes, IF true, he should apologize, but it is NOT an election issue.