Guess What Detroit’s Police Chief Credits For Crime Decline

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
http://news.yahoo.com/guess-detroit-police-chief-credits-crime-decline-190210048.html

The chief of Detroit police credited legally armed residents for a substantial decrease in crime in a city that desperately needs it.

“Criminals are getting the message that good Detroiters are armed and will use that weapon,” said chief James Craig, according to The Detroit News.

“I don’t want to take away from the good work our investigators are doing, but I think part of the drop in crime, and robberies in particular, is because criminals are thinking twice that citizens could be armed.”
Nice to see stories like this

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
Or possibly their is nothing to take anymore. Or maybe the drug game is dried up over there. Gang violence is usually what spikes the murder statistic.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
From the original Detroit News story cited by Yahoo ...

Detroit— Fed up with crime, some armed Detroiters have developed itchy trigger-fingers — and Police Chief James Craig said lawbreakers are getting the message.

In the latest incident, police say an 88-year-old who was beaten and robbed inside his east side home last week probably thought he was defending himself against attackers when he opened fire Monday on a television news crew.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140716/METRO01/307160034#ixzz37p5cuk2T
Armed citizens with itchy trigger fingers.

What an excellent combination.

Last edited:

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I'd rather see stories that are well sourced and present evidence to back up some police chief's assertions.
from article
According to The Detroit News, there have been 37 percent fewer robberies, 22 percent fewer break-ins and 30 percent fewer carjackings this so far in 2014 compared to the same period last year
From the original Detroit News story cited by Yahoo ...

Armed citizens with itchy trigger fingers.

What an excellent combination.
unarmed citizen becomes one of those "statistics" when dealing with criminals.
don't like guns? don't buy one, simple as that.

Last edited:

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
from article

unarmed citizen is nothing becomes one of those "statistics" when dealing with criminals.
tell that to the tv news crew being shot at by the trigger happy gun owner "defending" himself :p

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
unarmed citizen is nothing becomes one of those "statistics" when dealing with criminals.
Nice post.

A mangled sentence followed by a platitude that doesn't address any of the issues raised in the article.

:rolleyes:

That recent shooting reminds me of the incident that happened less than a year ago ...

Detroit-area man charged with murder in woman's porch death

A Detroit-area man who claimed he accidentally shot and killed a 19-year-old woman he thought was breaking into his home was charged Friday with second-degree murder, after days of pressure from her relatives seeking an arrest.

Theodore Paul Wafer, 54, also was charged with manslaughter and possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony in the November 2 shooting of Renisha McBride, who authorities say was intoxicated and possibly disoriented following a car crash before Wafer shot her on his Dearborn Heights porch.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/15/justice/michigan-woman-shot-charges/

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
tell that to the tv news crew being shot at by the trigger happy gun owner "defending" himself :p
from article

On Thursday, a woman appeared on his front porch asking for help, and when he opened his door, two men rushed in, assaulted him and tied him up with a phone cord before robbing him of several items.

A reporter from Channel 2 (WJBK) knocked on the man’s door on Arndt Street Monday, and conducted a short interview, although the man, whose name was not released, would not open his door. After a crew from Channel 7 (WXYZ) came onto the man’s porch, he fired a single shot. No one was hurt, and the bullet lodged into a tree.

Police took the man into custody, where he is undergoing a psychological evaluation, Assistant Chief Steve Dolunt said.

“I think he was traumatized; he got beat up pretty good,” Dolunt said. “When the second reporter went onto his porch, he may have thought she was the woman who had tricked him, and he probably thought he was defending himself.”

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140716/METRO01/307160034#ixzz37pWoCuya

----------

Nice post.

A mangled sentence followed by a platitude that doesn't address any of the issues raised in the article.

:rolleyes:

That recent shooting reminds me of the incident that happened less than a year ago ...
issues raised by article .

The chief of Detroit police credited legally armed residents for a substantial decrease in crime in a city that desperately needs it.

According to The Detroit News, there have been 37 percent fewer robberies, 22 percent fewer break-ins and 30 percent fewer carjackings this so far in 2014 compared to the same period last year
corrected mangled sentence just a bit.

Last edited:

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
from article

so the guy couldn't even hit one of a bunch of people standing on his front porch?......I hope the tree feels better soon :p

I wonder if the news crew have now armed themselves so they can return fire when shot at by gun toters "defending" themselves? It would certainly make "live from the scene" reports more exciting.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
so the guy couldn't even hit one of a bunch of people standing on his front porch?......I hope the tree feels better soon :p

I wonder if the news crew have now armed themselves so they can return fire when shot at by gun toters "defending" themselves? It would certainly make "live from the scene" reports more exciting.
they would be in essence "creating" more news :D

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68030
May 18, 2004
they would be in essence "creating" more news :D
certainly make it more entertaining. It's rare for a "our live-cam at the scene" report to show anything but a bunch of people standing around. Just imagine if the tv crew was having a shootout while defending themselves from some gun owner!

ratings for the news report would skyrocket :p

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
certainly make it more entertaining. It's rare for a "our live-cam at the scene" report to show anything but a bunch of people standing around. Just imagine if the tv crew was having a shootout while defending themselves from some gun owner!

ratings for the news report would skyrocket :p
pay per view shootings in progress
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd250/jkcerda/thwoohoo.gif[/IMG

***news anchors outside against Tony****
[media=youtube]AVQ8byG2mY8[/media]

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
besides the actual decline in crime?
The only proof that shows is that there is a decline in crime. How about something that links the decline to gun ownership? Statistics tend to help in these discussions. ;)

Are there more gun owners than the year before? Maybe more guns purchased? Or is a decline because of stricter laws? Stricter punishments? The mass exodus out of the city? Etc....

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Correlation and causation are two separate things.
The only proof that shows is that there is a decline in crime. How about something that links the decline to gun ownership? Statistics tend to help in these discussions. ;)

Are there more gun owners than the year before? Maybe more guns purchased? Or is a decline because of stricter laws? Stricter punishments? The mass exodus out of the city? Etc....
did you guys have to pee in my cheerios this morning? can't we for once just go with the gut feeling & statements made by the police chief? how DARE you question things & not take them at face value?

please note that the above is sarcasm, yes I agree with what you are saying.