Guess who didn't like "Cosmos"

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
http://thedailybanter.com/2014/03/the-christian-zealot-reaction-to-last-nights-cosmos-debut-is-about-what-youd-expect/

One crowd, however, that did apparently pay close attention to the return of Cosmos, whether it actually watched the show or not, is America’s far-right Christian contingent. And many of its members responded exactly as you’d imagine: with social media-driven cries of blasphemy and attempts to correct the lies of science with the truth that the world is 6,000 years old and we’re all the result of special Jesus magic. Because who needs proven scientific fact when you’ve got an ancient book written by people who lacked the imagination to even realize they were only inhabiting about two-percent of the entire Earth.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
My favorite part about most of that is how, regardless of all the current religions of Earth, Christianity has the true details about how it all started.

Last edited:

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
I watched the show, and the whole way through it I was thinking, "Oh. You can't say that, it's going to upset the fundies."

It was refreshing to see such widely broadcast, scientific depiction of history and then universe.

I almost started a thread about it myself, knowing that a good percentage of the population would not welcome the show's content, and I was surprised at how much I empathized with them. Though while I may have understood their pain, I did not agree with it.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
You want to really laugh, or maybe cry, go read #cosmos on Twitter.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
It was refreshing to see such widely broadcast, scientific depiction of history and then universe.
Forgive me for saying this, but I came away from the first episode more than a little underwhelmed.

I'm old enough to remember seeing Carl Sagan (AKA "Butthead Astronomer", Google that if necessary..) and the original Cosmos. And back then I was blown away.

Don't get me wrong: Neil Degrasse Tyson is outstanding. But somehow I found (the first episode at least) the show too long on "sizzle" (fancy graphics) - and short on steak: explaining how this all played together.

Maybe the coming episodes will prove me wrong. But so far, count me a little disappointed.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
I watched Cosmos and enjoyed it very much. Although I was surprised on how much time was spent on Tycho Brahe Giordano Bruno and the church. I felt it didn't need to "take sides" and just stick to the science. However with Seth MacFarlane as an ExPo I'm not surprised. Great show tho. :)

Last edited:

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
I watched Cosmos and enjoyed it very much. Although I was surprised on how much time was spent on Tycho Brahe and the church. I felt it didn't need to "take sides" and just stick to the science. However with Seth MacFarlane as an ExPo I'm not surprised. Great show tho. :)
These days, just sticking to the science seems to be "taking a side".

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
I watched Cosmos and enjoyed it very much. Although I was surprised on how much time was spent on Tycho Brahe and the church. I felt it didn't need to "take sides" and just stick to the science. However with Seth MacFarlane as an ExPo I'm not surprised. Great show tho. :)
(Giordano Bruno, not Brahe.)

I was somewhat underwhelmed, but I don't really fault the show for that. Having seen the original Cosmos, and many other science shows (Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe and Wonders of the Solar System are two of my favorites) most of the information presented was old-hat. (Although I do vastly prefer the soundtrack to the original Cosmos.) Regardless, I'll continue watching.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
(Giordano Bruno, not Brahe.)

I was somewhat underwhelmed, but I don't really fault the show for that. Having seen the original Cosmos, and many other science shows (Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe and Wonders of the Solar System are two of my favorites) most of the information presented was old-hat. (Although I do vastly prefer the soundtrack to the original Cosmos.) Regardless, I'll continue watching.
Hey thank you, I thought that sounded wrong..

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
An interesting Wired review:

We live in an era where the very concept of truth is politicized; where policy-makers and voters and journalists stand in denial of demonstrable science in favor of magical thinking and faith; where science warped by dogma is given equal footing in classrooms and Congress; where “teaching the controversy” forces educators to lend false weight to bad science in the name of religion and tradition. And that has cost science the luxury of neutrality. In choosing to argue actively for science, without apologies or appeasement, Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey has thrown down a gauntlet.

. . . .

That ability to challenge and question lies at the heart of science, and at the heart of Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey. “Science, as it is communicated to the public typically, is through the lens of discovery, but in fact, science is a process,” Tyson told an audience last July. “Science is what you do in the lab. Science is the wiring of your brain and how you look at the world because of that wiring. It’s not the result. It’s not just an answer. It is a process. And you need to learn to love the questions themselves. And when you do, the universe is yours.”

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks for a great guffaw! :D I've not watched the show yet, but now I have to sit here and worry about just how scary the religious right are.

It brings to mind this argument:
HONORIUS
Learned Judges: My case is simple. It is
based on our first Article of Faith: that
the Almighty created the ape in his own
image; that He gave him a soul and a mind;
that He set him apart from the beasts of
the jungle, and made him the lord of the
planet.
link :)

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I watched and liked the show. However, watching this kind of stuff really makes me feel a bit depressed. We'll never know what's really out there, and everything here is so insignificant.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I watched and liked the show. However, watching this kind of stuff really makes me feel a bit depressed. We'll never know what's really out there, and everything here is so insignificant.
Heh. A flea riding on the back of an elephant has far more significance than our tiny blue marble floating through the universe.

vipergts2207

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Forgive me for saying this, but I came away from the first episode more than a little underwhelmed.

I'm old enough to remember seeing Carl Sagan (AKA "Butthead Astronomer", Google that if necessary..) and the original Cosmos. And back then I was blown away.

Don't get me wrong: Neil Degrasse Tyson is outstanding. But somehow I found (the first episode at least) the show too long on "sizzle" (fancy graphics) - and short on steak: explaining how this all played together.

Maybe the coming episodes will prove me wrong. But so far, count me a little disappointed.
Carl Sagan is one of my idols; I even named my dog after him. However, I can definitely see why they included so much "sizzle" in the new series. If you showed a lot today's generation the old Cosmos, many would probably fall asleep or change the channel. Also keep in mind that, back in 1980 with the technology they had, the original probably seemed like it had just as much "sizzle" as the new one.

This was also the "intro" episode. The subsequent episodes will likely go deeper into specific subjects. I for one will continue to tune into NdGT.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Don't remember if Neil deGrasse Tyson mentioned this statistic on Cosmos, but he did on Colbert the other night - on the Cosmic Calendar*, recorded history through now is the last 14 seconds of the last day of the year. Really makes you realize how insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things.

*For those of you who didn't watch Cosmos:
1) The Cosmic Calendar is if the big bang happened on the first second of January 1, and now is the last nanosecond of December 31
2) Go watch it!

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
I watched Cosmos and enjoyed it very much. Although I was surprised on how much time was spent on Tycho Brahe Giordano Bruno and the church. I felt it didn't need to "take sides" and just stick to the science. However with Seth MacFarlane as an ExPo I'm not surprised. Great show tho. :)
Well, Cosmos is not only about the discoveries we made, but HOW we made them.

----------

Depressed? The universe is so so so so vast and full of wonderful and amazing things that I can't help but be EXCITED!

And the best part is, the more science we do, the more we'll find out what's really out there!

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Fundamentalists Christians don't like the new Cosmos.

Best review ever!
Then you might be vaguely interested in Darren Aronovsky's movie Noah – apparently, the christians pressured the studio to re-edit the film to insure "historical accuracy", but, in the end, Aronovsky had the film put together in such a way that it was not feasible to "clean it up", so the studio gave up trying to appease the faithful and went with the director's version.