Guess who didn't like "Cosmos"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Michael Goff, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

http://thedailybanter.com/2014/03/t...ights-cosmos-debut-is-about-what-youd-expect/

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

There's definitely nothing intelligent about their design.

3. TheHateMachine, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014

TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

My favorite part about most of that is how, regardless of all the current religions of Earth, Christianity has the true details about how it all started.

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Fundamentalists Christians don't like the new Cosmos.

Best review ever!

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I watched the show, and the whole way through it I was thinking, "Oh. You can't say that, it's going to upset the fundies."

It was refreshing to see such widely broadcast, scientific depiction of history and then universe.

I almost started a thread about it myself, knowing that a good percentage of the population would not welcome the show's content, and I was surprised at how much I empathized with them. Though while I may have understood their pain, I did not agree with it.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You want to really laugh, or maybe cry, go read #cosmos on Twitter.

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Forgive me for saying this, but I came away from the first episode more than a little underwhelmed.

I'm old enough to remember seeing Carl Sagan (AKA "Butthead Astronomer", Google that if necessary..) and the original Cosmos. And back then I was blown away.

Don't get me wrong: Neil Degrasse Tyson is outstanding. But somehow I found (the first episode at least) the show too long on "sizzle" (fancy graphics) - and short on steak: explaining how this all played together.

Maybe the coming episodes will prove me wrong. But so far, count me a little disappointed.

8. obeygiant, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014

obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I watched Cosmos and enjoyed it very much. Although I was surprised on how much time was spent on Tycho Brahe Giordano Bruno and the church. I felt it didn't need to "take sides" and just stick to the science. However with Seth MacFarlane as an ExPo I'm not surprised. Great show tho. :)

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

These days, just sticking to the science seems to be "taking a side".

10. elistan macrumors 6502a

(Giordano Bruno, not Brahe.)

I was somewhat underwhelmed, but I don't really fault the show for that. Having seen the original Cosmos, and many other science shows (Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe and Wonders of the Solar System are two of my favorites) most of the information presented was old-hat. (Although I do vastly prefer the soundtrack to the original Cosmos.) Regardless, I'll continue watching.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Hey thank you, I thought that sounded wrong..

12. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

An interesting Wired review:

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for a great guffaw! :D I've not watched the show yet, but now I have to sit here and worry about just how scary the religious right are.

It brings to mind this argument:
    link :)

14. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

15. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I watched and liked the show. However, watching this kind of stuff really makes me feel a bit depressed. We'll never know what's really out there, and everything here is so insignificant.

16. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Heh. A flea riding on the back of an elephant has far more significance than our tiny blue marble floating through the universe.

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

"Right" no matter what the political/religious flavor these days seems so wrong. These are people trying to change the laws of the U.S. to suit their needs.

18. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I like Neil DeGrasse better then when the BHA was narrating.

19. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Because a sense of our own importance means we get to do what we want. Anything that removes one, threatens to remove the other.

20. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Carl Sagan is one of my idols; I even named my dog after him. However, I can definitely see why they included so much "sizzle" in the new series. If you showed a lot today's generation the old Cosmos, many would probably fall asleep or change the channel. Also keep in mind that, back in 1980 with the technology they had, the original probably seemed like it had just as much "sizzle" as the new one.

This was also the "intro" episode. The subsequent episodes will likely go deeper into specific subjects. I for one will continue to tune into NdGT.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You got it. :D :cool:

Anything above that is just grandstanding of some sort.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Don't remember if Neil deGrasse Tyson mentioned this statistic on Cosmos, but he did on Colbert the other night - on the Cosmic Calendar*, recorded history through now is the last 14 seconds of the last day of the year. Really makes you realize how insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things.

*For those of you who didn't watch Cosmos:
    1) The Cosmic Calendar is if the big bang happened on the first second of January 1, and now is the last nanosecond of December 31
    2) Go watch it!

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

As I've always said, to any zealot who can't run away fast enough, we are the Mayfly of the Universe. :p

24. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Well, Cosmos is not only about the discoveries we made, but HOW we made them.

----------

Depressed? The universe is so so so so vast and full of wonderful and amazing things that I can't help but be EXCITED!

And the best part is, the more science we do, the more we'll find out what's really out there!

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Then you might be vaguely interested in Darren Aronovsky's movie Noah – apparently, the christians pressured the studio to re-edit the film to insure "historical accuracy", but, in the end, Aronovsky had the film put together in such a way that it was not feasible to "clean it up", so the studio gave up trying to appease the faithful and went with the director's version.