Guess who knocked on my door this morning?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by waloshin, Sep 16, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I answered the door to see a well dressed couple in there mid 50 to early 60's. They started asking me about the bible... they belonged to the Jehovah Witness church. They asked me if I ever questioned:

A) Why does god let us suffer?

B) What happens when I die?

C) How to make a happy family?

Ect ect

So my question for you is why does the Jehovah Witness church go around trying to recruit people? They asked me before they left and asked me my first and last name, it was strange!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

You werent rude to them were you? I hope not.

4. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

The last time they came knocking, I shut the door as soon as they started speaking. :D

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

No not at all they are people just like everybody else. I waited and let them ask me questions and I responded nicely. Though I found it strange that the old lady was nervous because you could hear it in her voice.

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Somebody should make a cheat sheet on the quickest way to get evangelists off your doorstep. Kind of like gethuman.com but maybe gethumanoffmydoorstep.com.

7. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Good for you. Probably because she was expecting this:

8. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

my cheat sheet consists of not opening the door!!!!!!!!!!!! then i don't have to be rude or shut the door in their face!

9. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I usually just offer them and Mormons a beer or Mountain Dew. For some reason, they never take me up on the offer. :)

I used to answer the door with my 1st edition Dungeons and Dragons books in hand and offer to read a bit from them. Anyone who has played 1st ed. D&D know what I am talking about. If you really want the Jehovah's Witnesses to leave in a hurry, tell them you have been shunned.

10. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

11. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

A couple of years ago a pair of creationists knocked on my door one Saturday morning. Disastrously, my bacon sandwich went cold as I dealt with them.

This is clear proof religious door-knocker types are evil.

12. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I just tell em I am trade ;)

(If that fails the pentacle usually stirs their urge to leave peacefully) - no sense being rude to them.

13. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I just invoice 'em for my time. I keep a stack of invoices for the purpose.

Tends to keep the interruptions to a minimum....

14. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I let my 4 Great Danes answer the door. That usually runs off most salesmen, peddlers and the like.

15. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Why be rude? If you don't want them talking to you, tell them politely you're not interested and you'd like them to never come back. They'll respect that and leave you alone, and nobody had to be rude to do it.

16. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

My father is a witness. They are just as krayzie as any other religious person. But they believe that it is their duty to go door to door converting people.

Also they believe heaven is only for a few great people. Imagine my response when my dad told me my grandmother wouldn't make it to heaven.

Good thing I don't believe god.

17. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Man, that is mean. Making a bacon sandwich go cold! That is interrupting a religious experience right there.

See above. I mean, come on, they interrupted BACON! :D

18. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Let's put it this way. I don't go out of my way to try and convince ppl of my beliefs. Don't do it to me...

19. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

My sister whom was devoutly christian for a while(I don't know which sect). Would answer the door with her bible, concordances and other research material, invite them in and spend the next few hours trying to convert them:D. With the Mormons she would also have their Book of Mormon. Then point out how much of it goes against the Bible.

One of the guys I knew in college whom was an atheist. Said the quickest way to politely shut them up is to tell them you are devoutly Jewish, I guess Jewish people are considered impossible to convert.

Saying your atheist or any other religion will lead to more talking.

Personally I just say I am Christian, ask for their material then they chirp off a few contented words and leave. Then I toss the pamphlets in the trash.

20. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I'll tell you why you should be rude.

The monstrous arrogance of these people who come and interrupt my working day (I work from home) to try and convince me of their absurd beliefs is just staggering. They have no conception of the fact that I may have my own beliefs - they just assume that I am 'wrong' and in need of being 'saved'. I'm happy for them to believe whatever they want - and if I meet 'em in the pub and we enter into a discussion, I'm more than happy to listen to their point of view. Just don't come around to my house and try to browbeat me into believing what you believe unless you want my foot in your ass...

**** them all. I only quit telling them to go screw themselves because it didn't work - handing them an £80 invoice for wasting my time at least has reduced their visits to once or twice a year.

21. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Do you show them the pictures in the Monster Manual?

22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I live in an apt building and they come sometimes -- but have to ring my buzzer downstairs. I just say a polite "no thank you" and leave it at that. No need for drama.

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Just remember not to cause any drama when Jesus says the same thing when you press the buzzer to get into heaven.

24. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

My wife let in a couple of Mormons one time - they asked if we minded if they said a prayer before we talked - I said no, we'd watch tv and they could let us know when they were finished. They had a quick prayer and left.

My other approach is to tell them there's a recession on and I can't afford another religion.

25. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

If he's like my parents, he's so deluded he doesn't even realize that his comment could offend anyone.