Guesses about new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ray6712, Jul 16, 2012.

1. ray6712 macrumors regular

ray6712

been wondering if Apple will go with the new A6 processor quad core or will the new processor be a new variant of the A5 family. The reason I ask this is because I don't think they will go with the A5x processor out of the iPad simply for space savings the die size is huge. Also what all changes do you think will be made hardware wise

2. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

Really not sure. I think they may bring in a new chip but they can probably get away with a5. Hardware wise.. LTE capability, the sim card for your iWallet, retina, new speakers, USB 3.0, optics for cameras.

3. Furifo, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

Furifo macrumors 6502

My best guess is it will be a dual core chip - as you mentioned, possibly some variant of the existing A5 chip.

IMO we will see quad core chips in an iPad before we see them appearing in an iPhone - much like how we saw the iPad get the A5 chip before the iPhone did.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't current quad core processors incompatible with US LTE networks? I'm referring to the US variant of the galaxy S3/HTC one X being dual core while the European versions are quad core.

EDIT: seems I was wrong about LTE/Quad core compatibility.

Besides aren't quad core chips very power hungry? My friend with a HTC One X (quad-core) is constantly complaining about his poor battery life. I think I would prefer dual core + good battery life over quad core + not so good battery life.

4. applefanDrew, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Probably a 32 nm A5. It'll offer about 2 Extra hours battery life on its own.

Which they will give a new name. Maybe A5X or A5S or whatever. But it'll just be a smaller A5 with some trumped up graphics.

5. romeo0119 macrumors 6502

Actually quad core and LTE is ready, htc is coming out w a tablet on att that is quad core and LTE. Suppose to be out in the 3rd quarter I think. Apple hardware will always be behind spec wise compare to other manufacture but that irrelevance since it run just as smooth since the software is so optimized compare to other os.

6. techiegeek1225 macrumors member

Yeah, I agree. I believe if it will be quad core, I am sure it will lessen your battery life. With all those games and app, yes it will be very efficient, but you should be expecting it to be siphoning your battery life faster. Hope they’d somehow create a good balance between everything. Like a quad core and the best, super long battery life. So looking forward to their releases that won’t disappoint us really.

7. Furifo macrumors 6502

Thanks for the clarification. I agree - I don't think something that is already super smooth NEEDS a quad core processor; especially if that is at the expense of battery life.

8. romeo0119 macrumors 6502

If u know apple you should know by now, they're saving the quad core processor for the iPhone 5s lol. I hope I'm wrong but even if they did release a quad core processor, it won't be running at the full clock cycle anyway

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

If Apple managed to cram the A5X class of performance into a phone running at a lower resolution, the results should be beyond impressive by any standard.

10. ray6712 thread starter macrumors regular

ray6712

all statements are very true but from what I've read the quad core processor is ready and will consume probably 20% less battery than the current A5 because of the smaller die size as well as being way more efficient. It also seems that they are upgrading every component from the gpu to the wifi chip every single component it seems to offer better performance and increase battery life