Guesstimate: What time will the preorders start exactly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hazyb71, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Hazyb71 macrumors member

Okay so I'm going to be in class and I'm gonna have a friend order the phone.
    I know no one knows when, but based on prior experience when they had taken preorders on the day of the announcement, around what time did the preorders go live?

I have 4 family members eligible, I'm hoping to get 3 through AT&T's website. I'm going to be in class from 11am to 12:15 pm PST, if they take it after that I'll be able to get on and purchase it myself.

Thanks in advance!

2. Dennis187 macrumors regular

Dennis187

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Nobody has any idea or could even guess. Last year pre-orders went up at 3AM eastern time a few days after the announcement, and iPad 3 pre-orders went up as soon as the event finished.

4. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I have pre ordered the last 2 iphones and they both opened up at midnight pacific time a couple of days after the announcement. That's not to say this year will be the same but thats what they have done in the past. I think the do that to try and limit the amount of people pre ordering all at once. Not everyone can stay up until the middle of the night trying to get there pre order in. Even doing a midnight launch last year servers were crashing all night. The eventually gave up a kind of gave you a number saying that they would put your order in for you once the servers came back up. I don't know if the servers could handle a a launch in the middle of the day right after the announcement. I think they will probably keep to the midnight launch for that reason.

5. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Agreed. :D

6. Hazyb71 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. Just in case they do it immediately after the event, do you guys know when exactly the event ends? I remember the last event went past 1 hour.

7. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Steve Jobs told me the event will end at exactly 2:28pm EST. :rolleyes:

Are u kidding with that kind of question???

8. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

iphone 4 was in the afternoon i remember. it was so easy. 4s was 3 am. that was a cluster eff.

9. AT101ET macrumors 6502

Either the same day or next day. Apple will want to start to ship as soon as possible to get the most sales when the hype is at its highest.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

...let me get this straight...you want us to "guesstimate" "exactly"? Hmmm...:rolleyes:

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

What a wonderful question. I don't have to guesstimate. I have inside information. I know everyone says that, but I REALLY DO!

So I can give you an exact guesstimate (oxymoron???). I'm not really supposed to do this, and if my source finds out...well..I could be in real trouble. NDA and all that.

But since you seem to be such a nice person and asked such an amazingly astute question, here it is...

6:37:25:06:51:12 EST

I always get my information in thousandths of a second. Get your speed dial ready!

:rolleyes: :p

12. Hazyb71 thread starter macrumors member

1) The guesstimate was in regards to when the preorders would start
    2) I followed up with a second question on when the event (in particular, the keynote) typically ends. We all know it starts at 10 am PST, and it goes on for at least an hour. That kind of information can possibly be found out and exact, as opposed to knowing when Apple will have the preorders go live.

Now that that's clarified, does anyone know how long these keynote's usually last?

13. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Might not even need to worry about being among the first to pull the trigger OP. With the iPad pre-order this year, I was hours late (5 or 6) going in yet all options and configurations were still available. Tim Cook is a supply chain guru and my guess is he will make sure the same type of availability is seen for this launch.

14. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

I wonder if I can pre-order from Verizon to pick up in store. Is this possible?

All else fails.. I'll be in line first thing

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

an iphone and ipad have way different sales numbers, so that is not a good comparison.

If the last keynote (for macs) will be an indication, it could be less than an hour later. no one knows though

16. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

One hour, 37 minutes.

No, seriously, that was how long last year's 4S event was.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

this. They will probably start with the ipods and then move to the iphone and a few ios features not mentioned at the last keynote, or retouch on them

18. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

There's a thread somewhere here that literally could be the agenda for the keynote. Really spot on haha

19. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne