Guide: iPhone with 3.0 will NOT show up in iTunes OR is stuck in recovery mode...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cx300, Mar 20, 2009.

1. cx300 macrumors member

This is from another post while I was trying to fix my phone... outlined below will make it work again.

READ UPDATE #2!!!!!!!!

Let me just start with this: I am not one of those people that ran out and grabbed a dev status just to get my hands on 3.0....

I have had 3.0 on my phone since it was released, and i love it. I can deal with most of the bugs no problem.

The only problem that I had was my iPhone would NOT SHOW UP in iTunes, so i started with the basics: restart iTunes, restart iPhone, change users, re-install iTunes. After that did not work i resorted to some more measures:

• force restore mode and re-install 3.0 (error)
    • try to re-install 2.2.1 while in restore mode (error)
    • tried every downgrade thread there is (errors)
    • used a USB Hub (with my 10.5.6 early '08 MBP to try to install 3.0, 2.2.1, and pwned 2.2.1 on iPhone
    • tried installing 3.0, 2.2.1, and pwned 2.2.1 with DFU mode
    • tried every guide as to getting out of restore mode

is there anything else ANYONE can think of? I have an appointment with the Genius Bar at 7pm but really need my phone today, I am also not very anxious to hear what they say about me running the 3.0 (use at your own risk??)

I intend to not leave there until my phone (or a new one) is working... we will see what happens

and please no "thats what you get for being an early adopter...."

Thanks for your help guys!

UPDATE:

I'm not the only one...
    https://devforums.apple.com/message/42644#42644

UPDATE #2:
    There are LOTS of Devs having this problem... The reason the iPhone is not showing up in iTunes is because you need to re-install the SDK, there are helper files that allow iTunes to connect to the 3.0 software

Some nice guy named Jon e-mailed me the step-by-step to get my iPhone working again:

2. wil49 macrumors member

Beta software is not designed to be used on your main phone and there is no support for it, I believe it states that from reading the forums.

3. cx300 thread starter macrumors member

doesn't matter... if this was a iTouch that was SPECIFICALLY for testing, it would have been down for the count too...

this applies to dev items as well as main items... im sure someone, somewhere is pissed about this now