Guide to Buying Refurbished Apple Products

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacRumors, Feb 2, 2016.

1. tibas92013, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017

tibas92013 macrumors 6502

Within the last four(4) years I have purchased "Refurbished" from the Apple On-Line Store:

MM(Late 2012) 2.5GHz,4GB Ram,500GB HD
    MM(Late 2014) 2.8GHz, 8GB Ram, 256SSD
    Two Apple TV's(3rd Gen.)
    Apple Time Capsule
    Apple Express

All were covered by AppleCare,so, it is like buying new Mac Equipment and I remain to this day a very satisfied customer with these purchases.

2. zorinlynx, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  3. scarab0 macrumors member

So just a week after I received my iMac 27 through a vendor, using the EDU discount, Apple actually offers it in their refurb section.

Now, mine is the basic version with a 512 SSD drive. The one Apple offers there is this one:

https://www.apple.com/de/shop/produ...uad-core-Intel-Core-i5-with-Retina-5K-display

So it costs a little bit more but has a better video card, better CPU and 3 TB Fusiondrive. The reason I am thinking about exchanging mine for that is because my iMac is making some weird noise, maybe its the fan I am not sure. I guess I would have to send it in and wait a couple of weeks to get it back repaired or replaced?

I have read about the FD and how much better SSD is, anyone here who would still go for the 3 TB Fusion + better video card + faster CPU over 512 SSD and potentially noisy iMac?

4. Tech198, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017

Tech198 macrumors G5

haha. ya you don't get the same 'feeling' as if u bought a refurbished from Apple because while Apple gives you a discount, while other stores would give u a better discount..

The knocks, scratches u don't get at Apple refub is 50/50...... Apple doesn't exactly peel back the case and shove it into a brand new one before they get it on the refurb store...... either

All it is are components are tested by the same process they go through at doing brand new products for.. nothing is touched on the outside, apart from replacing missing screws etc. unless cases are badly damaged..

Other times it's just customers orders wrong product, but cancelled it only after it shipped.. Apple can't sell it brand new, so it goes on refurb. store

5. Gravydog316 macrumors 6502

Gravydog316

I have the SSD drive, which is better for my laptop, since i carry it to work & school 24/7... if your not moving your machine, a regular hd would be just fine, right?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 27, 2017 ---
    My refurb has a dent in front & faulty gpu, & they won't honor their refurb warranty for their faulty gpu, so buy whatever is cheapest.

6. Wags macrumors 6502a

Apple Refurbished? They won’t fix or saying nothing wrong ?

7. Gravydog316 macrumors 6502

Gravydog316

The 2010 & 2011 MacBook Pros had/have faulty GPUs, which cause them to randomly restart; Apple only recalled the 2011s, & didn't/won't recall the 2010s for the same issue.
    They are selling refurbished products which they know are having issues & should be recalled.
    To get a new GPU will cost me about $400.
    (even though they say they test & refurbish the products they sell.)

8. bobsax macrumors regular

bobsax

My MacBook Pro was a reefer and has always had issues. Now it’s ready to die
    --- Post Merged, Mar 6, 2018 ---
    I believe that my MacBook Pro refurb was a lemon from the get go. That’s probably why it was returned in the first place. It has always had little glitches that have continuously gotten worse. Now it’s a mess.

9. hayc macrumors newbie

hayc

I think this is good way to save your money. Refurbished apple devices are not discernibly different from new ones. I have only once experience to buying a refurbished Mac and I I'm okay with it.

10. Agile55, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018

Agile55 macrumors regular

Agile55

Agreed & sorta sim. to hayc above but a sample size of 2 refurb'd Apple products now. First is the 2007 refurb'd iMac I'm typing this on & a refurb'd iPhone 7 that I just bought & gave to my son as a graduation gift.

Zero issues w/ the iMac, bought it Jan. of 2008, maxed the ram out a few yrs. back & no issues or blems w/ the iP7. With no complaints in my small sample size, I won't hesitate to buy another Apple refurb'd product again but think it prudent to add YMMV as always.

11. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

There's a small detail I don't understand on the refurb store. Maybe someone here can explain it to me.

Why do some items have a percentage off written on the listing while others don't? They all seem to have the same price reduction though.

For example:
    upload_2018-5-3_13-16-25.png
    upload_2018-5-3_13-16-43.png

New both of these builds are $1499 so they both are $230 off. Why is it displayed on one and not the other?

I'm just curious, maybe I'm missing something.

12. macadoeshuz, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018

macadoeshuz macrumors newbie

macadoeshuz

Buying apple refurbished products is the best. I got my Mac Mini over 4 years ago now and it's still going strong. I use it for connecting my midi controller. The invoice I received was kind of weird but I think since then they've updated their invoice template. This is all coming from a PC user of almost 11 years so believe me, best refurbished products on the market. I'm saving up for an iMac soon as I'll be using some heavy duty accounting software as well. Once you go mac, you ain't going back.

13. Gravydog316 macrumors 6502

Gravydog316

'marketing' is my guess

14. RowellE macrumors regular

RowellE

Question: Is it just the iOS devices that get a new shell? Does that mean the macs could possibly have dings or dents in them still there if that’s how it was when it was returned?

Thinking of buying a refurbished 12-inch retina MacBook but if it might have blemishes from the previous owner, I might skip it.

I know minor scratches and dings shouldn’t be complained about when getting the refurb discount, but just hoping the macs are also in like-new condition.

15. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

In any case you still have 14 days to return if you're not satisfied ;) Then you can buy another one and hope it's flawless, they usually are.

16. Gravydog316 macrumors 6502

Gravydog316

I have seen refurbished laptops with dents in 'em...

The Macs will get new shells if REALLY bad (I'm sure, not certain);
    they almost always have a dent or ding, though...

Since every device is different, buying refurbished is a crap shoot (as they say)
    They are stores' open box models; display models (i think?)... returns, exchanges, damaged in shipping, etc...

could be scratches, dents, dings, marks...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

& with new, you get a warranty (whatever THAT is worth...) but you are paying more, so...

17. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

"Refurbished" from what store? What exactly is that top pic of, I see a sticker on that Mac, so, that's just an example of a dent, not an example of a Mac just purchased from Apple with a dent like that in it?

There are many places you can buy Apple products that they claim to be "refurbished", but, when you buy from Apple, which is only available online, an Apple Certified Refurbished product, you won't get one with a dent as bad as that one in your top pic.

ALSO: When you buy an Apple Certified Refurbished product from Apple direct online, it comes with a 1 year warranty same as a brand new product...and you can add AppleCare if you like, (which I recommend).

Gravydog316, I think you need to read the very first post in this thread. Also go here: https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals

18. Gravydog316 macrumors 6502

Gravydog316

Apple is who I mean:

My 2010 MBP 15" has a dent in the front corner;
    includes the faulty GPU of the 2010 & 2011 models;
    the 2011's were recalled, but not the 2010s, so I bought a faulty refurbished MBP that was "refurbished,"
    ...Apple selling products with faulty GPU's that SHOULD have been recalled is not my idea of 'refurbished'
    ...I can live with a small dent.
    So, sorry, but I will badmouth the 'refurbished' process, as I have a laptop that needs a replacement GPU, & Apple wouldn't/won't do squat.
    so, yeah...

19. albertohurst macrumors newbie

albertohurst

Thanks for the guide it would come handy as I am looking to purchase a new one for my cousin and if I can get a better refurbished version for cheap then its all good.

20. mar58, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018

mar58 macrumors newbie

mar58

Absolutely agree...the ONLY Mac I've ever had to send in for repair was also the Only one I purchased new. I only purchase refurb. As a recent example I saved almost 700 dollars, 691 to be exact including tax, on my refurbed 2017 27in 5K iMac (including purchasing RAM third party) than what an identically configured one would have cost me new. Also got the exact same AppleCare + when I purchased it so it's covered just like a brand new one.

21. Rick America macrumors member

I ordered a 2018 MBP 13" 2018 TB i5, 16GB memory and 512GB disk off the Apple refurb site and picked it a few days ago --- my first ever purchase from the Apple refurb store.

This morning, it froze up after I closed the lid and reopened it a few minutes later (on battery power) --- mouse arrow would move around the screen (both using trackpad and magic mouse) but the keyboard and mouse/trackpad "clicks" had no actions at all. Forced power down and power-up again seemed to correct the problem, but now I'm nervous with the 14-day return period coming to an end if maybe I got a "lemon" and should return it.

Anyone else see similar problems?

TYIA.

22. craigmadge macrumors newbie

I’ve been looking at a refurbed MacBook from mresell. They offer a 6 month warranty free, then £59 for a year and £89 for 18 months. Just wondering if people think it’s worth it. The MacBook is 2 years old.

Also worth noting the below from their website

Limitations to the warranty

• The warranty does not cover laptop’ or mobile device’s batteries
    • The warranty does not cover RAID-cards’ power supplies
    • The warranty does not cover computer fans
    • The warranty does not cover computer screens
    • The warranty does not cover software issues
    • The warranty does not include malware or virus removal
    • The warranty is not valid if the device is plugged into an ungrounded electric outlet
    • Physically opening the device against the manufacturer’s guidance or damaging the wiring of the power supply shall result in the warranty becoming void
    • The warranty will be void if the product is damaged during shipping due to the customer’s negligence. The package must be intact and properly cushioned
    • The warranty will be void if liquid damage is found inside the device
    • The warranty will be void if the product’s serial number has been removed or made illegible
    • This warranty does not cover indirect damages or economic loss which have been incurred due to the breaking product. For example, should the hard drive be destroyed, mResell shall not be liable for the destroyed data

23. DyraSan, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018

DyraSan macrumors newbie

I know little bit of this refurbished apple product.

Refurbished Apple products however, go through these high standard quality checks twice. So even if they pass the first time, they are unlikely to the pass quality check the second time if they have a problem.

We suspect that refurbished products are less likely to fail than new products, but since there isn’t any data on this yet, we’ll have to settle for confidently saying that refurbished products aren’t any more likely to fail than new products.

kissanime