Guilty rapist + wealthy = No jail time

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Apr 2, 2014.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Du Pont heir dodged prison for raping 3-year-old daughter after judge ruled he 'would not fare well' behind bars

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

judge needs to be tarred & feathered while being thrown in jail.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed.

Especially as it's child rape too.

5. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Is he suffering from affluenza? He needs real help and not jail time if that is the case.

:rolleyes:

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I hope they take evry penny from him before he can hide his assets offshore.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Should be life in prison + handing another prisoner a shank to take out the garbage.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We should never throw the rich in jail. Who will buy our elections of we do?

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I can't believe the judge had the balls to use this excuse with a straight face. Can judges be impeached? :(

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This kind of reminds me of the "wealthy" kid who was drinking and driving and killed four, but wasn't sentenced to jail time because the judge thought since he was too wealthy etc.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/05/us/texas-affluenza-teen/

11. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I agree with the decision not to imprison him, but I think that it should be consistently applied to people who are less wealthy as well.

We're too quick to throw people into prison in America. We're very focused on punishment, rather than rehabilitation. It doesn't do society any good. Prison has become a training ground for criminals. Aside from potentially instigating more crime, we lose out on productivity. The insult on top of this injury is the fact that we're paying for all of it.

This man abused his own children. People will jump in to assume it's pedophilia, but it could be a case of exerting dominance and power over vulnerable individuals. It doesn't exclusively have to be one or the other; it could be a combination. Regardless, it isn't healthy and has the potential to threaten others, but as of now there's no evidence that he represents a threat to anyone but his family. Bar him from seeing his family and imprison him if he still attempts contact even against orders from the court, but what good would throwing him in prison first do? Would he really receive the therapy that he needs there, or would he come out of prison as a better, improved person?

If he were imprisoned, I think he'd probably come out for the worse. I think that's how it is for many who have to go through the prison system. We need to rethink why people should be sent to prison, what we hope to accomplish by sending people to prison, and then change our reflex from demanding prison time to something more productive.

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Come out worse? No, he shouldn't come out, PERIOD. Give him a sentence like 200 years. The good news? He'd be eligible for parole in 50 or 60.

13. Gutwrench Suspended

Gutwrench

Having had a distant connection with Foxcatcher and a few friends who had close associations I hold a strong resentment toward the Duponts, obviously John in particular.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Seriously? It's child abuse of the worst order. If anyone should go to jail he should.

That all said I understand why the judge didn't send him. The judge would be on the front pages in Beijing (let alone London and the US itself) when Du Pont landed up dead. This was the easy way out to avoid that :(.

Maybe the US should sort out the violence in its prisons - and having so many people who will never be freed must hurt with that.

15. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

GTFOH, The physical act of what he did is pedophilia in itself, regardless of the his mental state.

The judge failed to think of all children first by letting this guy walk without him doing some time. One thing prison accomplishes, is letting the convicted know how serious the crime they committed is.

You might be right about prisons in general when it comes to your average thief, drug dealer, or scam artist. But those who commit violent and sexual attacks need to serve time in prison.

16. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Another rich person that they can't put in prison. I understand it though. Most people in prison would love to get their hands on someone with wealth. Add a child rapist to that and he's pretty much dead.

However, he's still very fortunate to have his family name and wealth to save him. I personally don't think any justice was handed to him for those poor children. It's a real shame.

17. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

I fail to understand. They have plenty of child rapists, ex cops, and snitches in prison. They are either in the protective custody section or isolation. This has everything to do with being wealthy, absolutely nothing to do with being in danger.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Snitches, child milestones and ex cops aren't going to make the lead story worldwide if they get killed though.

19. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Celebs and athletes would, they still go to jail and prison. Nobody was using this lame excuse for O.J.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Celebs will be respected in prison and OJ and rappers can probably handle themselves.

Additionally they didn't go for child molesting.

21. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You know what is missing from the stories about this Judge? Her political party. The political party of the two governors that have appointed her. I can see why the media wants to keep that part quiet. If it was the other party, they'd be adding it to every headline.

22. sim667 macrumors 65816

The injustice in the US prison system has never been so evident as its made in this case.

If this happened in the UK im pretty sure it would kick off outside the courthouse.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Probably because it's irrelevant. Not all US media supports any one party.

----------

In the UK he might suffer some rough and tumble but he wouldn't turn up dead. That means you can send him to jail.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Sorry, but no. This type of human trash is what prison is made for. I am all for rehabilitation for some prisoners, especially those who committed nonviolent crimes like drug dealing or shoplifting. This scumbag raped a 3 year old. They should lock him up and throw away the key.

----------

Because when she was appointed a decade ago, the governors knew she would do this :rolleyes:

The only one turning this political is you.

25. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

Wow, wish I never read that:mad: he should be hung along with the judge