Guitarist takes on Slayer with a Ukelele.. and Wins

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bradl, May 16, 2014.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Now.. I've seen and listened to my share of music, especially those that border on unique but phenomenal (Rodrigo y Gabriela) to the outright crazy, but works great (BabyMetal)..

.. But this works out great, even though you'd classify it as something that goes together like Salmon ice cream.

Call it an easy way to get your mom introduced to metal, using something you'd find buried in the back of your 1st grader's closet.

With that, read, and enjoy!

http://www.reviewjournal.com/trending/icymi/guitarist-takes-slayer-ukulele-and-wins

BL.

2. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

First and foremost, Slayer is my #2 favorite band behind Avenged Sevenfold. Sometimes they move up to #1 depending on what kind of mood I'm in :cool:

Regarding the video, I was thoroughly entertained. I love it when someone covers a heavy thrash song on an instrument that's out of the ordinary. While Slayer isn't very polished, and often times sporadic, I was surprised he covered the solos. Bravo!

On a semi-related note, this cover reminded me of this lady who does a cover of Tornado of Souls by Megadeth on piano. The solo is in my top 5 solos of all time, and I'm very happy she included it. Even listening to this lady perform the solo gives me the chills :D

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I really liked the Slayer cover. That was pretty bad A$$!!! The piano one was good too. Don't get me wrong, but the Slayer one took the cake in my book. Thanks for the share!

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm not sure why, but Ukuleles seem to be having a weird surge in popularity recently. The local music store where I buy strings recently moved all their axes into a back room to make wall space for a bunch of ukuleles.

Obviously the guy playing in the video had some serious skills, but IMHO I wouldn't rush to replace a classic Gibson Les Paul or Stratocaster with a uke of any description. A lot of rock music relies on pinched harmonics that are all but impossible to achieve with a Uke.

Still - lots of fun to watch and listen to!

5. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Hipsters, man. Some no name band uses one and then all of a sudden hipsters must have one. They'll die out in less than a year. I could never give up my electric.

-------

On another note, the same guy has done a cover of Raining Blood on a Banjo

6. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

Amazing! Thanks for sharing! Oh and I totally agree about Rodrigo & Gabriella, definitely phenomenal. Going to see them live again in a month. ;)