Gulf Oil Disaster - One year later

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Apr 20, 2011.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Considering we haven't done anything to require that drilling be any safer, we haven't changed the liability caps, and we are now awarding deep water drilling permits without disclosing them anymore, it makes sense for BP to increase their support for the party that wants to drill anywhere and everywhere all the time. Can anyone imagine stricter regulations on the oil industry being passed out of a John Boehner led House? I have a better chance of swallowing a magnet and turning into a cyborg from Fukishima radiation.

It's been a year since the spill.

2. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

^^^

I agree. When regulation and government intervention fail, the only route to go is more regulation and government intervention. It always works better the second time around.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Could you please explain the failures of government regulation/intervention in relation to the Gulf Oil Disaster and explain why we shouldn't impose stricter regulations, based on what we learned for the incident?

4. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Oh, I get it. If you have regulations that aren't strong enough, if you then ignore those regulations, and then you pay off the people who are supposed to be performing the inspections, then it is OBVIOUSLY the regulations that failed.

That makes sense.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

When regulation and government intervention fail, the only route is to diagnose how the failures took place and then change, not necessarily add more, regulation so that those failures have a lower probability of taking place.

As much as I enjoy the benefits of free and unfettered markets, I know too much about basic human nature to allow them to be completely unrestrained, particularly when the consequences can be so far reaching.

6. ender land macrumors 6502a

Hard to believe it has been a full year already, wow.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Excellent example of the point below.

The electorate has the memory of gnats.

Politicos count on it, repeatedly.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Who here complains when the FAA investigates a plane crash and decides there needs to be a change in airline regulations to prevent similar accidents from occurring?

Nobody seems to mind that government interference.

9. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Better regulation is needed. One example of a problem is that the Kochs got some of their people in the EPA during the Bush administration. Koch Industries is responsible for over 300 oil spills.

Can you imagine if you let BP and Koch Industries operate with even less regulations?

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

And to celebrate...

Idn't this nice:

So they get to dump possibly toxic chemicals on us, but because of IP, we are not allowed to know what it is.

source

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The government's regulation is essentially a mandate for self regulation in these companies. I wonder who pushed for that kind of "regulation".....

12. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Another example of "deregulation" during the Halliburton administration, the fracking exception. The former head of the EPA drinking water program says the loophole was a mistake.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

What would you suggest?

14. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

well... Remember how the big issue was that they couldn't cap the well because it was sooo deep?

It's not cheaper to drill in water that deep.

They were out there because of government regulation.

Also, it is more dangerous to the environment to import oil bc of tanker incedents and whatnot. The most environmentally friendly option would be to drill for our own oil in shallower water. And get lots of it. It would stabilize prices, reduce our dependence on foreign oil, prevent tanker spills, prevent another bp disaster, create american jobs, etc.

15. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

We have 2% of the worlds oil reserves. Do you REALLY want to speed up the point in which we completely run out of it?

16. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

I've heard arguments that we have a little more than that. Also, as we use oil, we continue to find new techniques for drilling, while we also delve into other sources of energy. By the time we truly run out of oil, we probably won't even want it any more because the markets will have shifted to something more secure, renewable, sustainable, etc.

For example, a big ticket research subject right now is concrete that can be used to capture solar energy. University of Arkansas just pumped a lot of money into that research. Oil reserves are limited, but the future is very bright

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Except for the fact that we don't have that much oil, so we couldn't get lots of it from near the shore. And we do drill near the shore, here's a map of all the oil platforms in the gulf.
    [​IMG]

source
    They where in that deep of water because that is where the oil is, and easy oil is mostly gone so companies have to go for more expensive oil like BP did.

18. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

So, what are people in this thread doing to reduce gasoline usage?

If there's demand for it, the wells will keep being drilled.

19. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I rarely drive. And when I do, I think ahead and combine as many destinations as possible into the most compact driving route.

20. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

First we drive about 10 miles a week in my house, and we own a Honda Fit.

Second, that is absolute nonsense. Blaming this sort of thing on individuals when American politicians and policy makers have been designing our infrastructure around car culture for nearly 100 years is ridiculous. We need policy makers to recognize that the ride we have been on for decades is coming to an end and we need to start planning now by building better public transportation infrastructure to catch up with the rest of the developed world.

21. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

We are responsible. We elect the policy makers.

22. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

23. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Not really. We get a choice between two evils. With a couple of exceptions, all of our elected officials are completely worthless.

24. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

As if the democratic party is not also totally in bed with big oil.... please.

Our political system is completely and utterly broken.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

With the exception of a few algae based biodiesels (which the industry has basically abandoned seeing as this country has essentially decided natural gas for energy for the next 100 years) show me ANYTHING on the table that can replicate the properties of oil that we completely rely on to make just about everything you've encountered in your life.

Take a look at the room around you. I can guarantee even without knowing what is there that oil was involved in making the products around you.

Also, this ridiculous notion that drilling in America (who has enough oil to last 9 months if we used it exclusively) will answer our problems and lower prices:

Oil is sold on the international market