Gulf Oil Spill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MBX, Apr 29, 2010.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Incredible. Saddening.

This might go on for weeks and become one of the biggest environmental disasters the planet has ever faced.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/29/louisiana.oil.rig/index.html?hpt=T1

Here we have the US spending billions and billions towards the Military Industrial Complex and high tech weapons technology but they (and BP, which are responsible to come up with a solution in the first place) aren't able to close the leaks.

20 years after the Exxon Valdez disaster: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbjC9SMKClE

And this new oil spill will dwarf the Valdez spill by so much more.

Drill baby, drill.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Is there a point to this thread or are we just going to gripe about the military and oil spills?

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You got it on the first try, congratulations.:D

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Well, I think the fact that this spill is going to basically destroy the shrimp/fish/mussel industry in Louisiana as well as devastate the coastal ecosystem--I think its right to "gripe" about oil spills. The military part is a bit of a stretch though.

Oh, and from what we know so far this spill is going to be continuous for months--since that's how long it will take BP to drill and adjacent well to stop the flow.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Just another incentive to push for major alternative energy research.

6. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

You're kidding right? The oil spill is visible from space.

But I heard fish like oil, so I guess it's all good.

7. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What could POSSIBLY be the point of starting a thread over what could be our nation's worst environmental disaster in decades? :rolleyes:

Obviously the OP is just a malcontent trying to score cheap political points and stir up the [BLEEP] over nothing. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Now let's git back to some serious issues... like how the Mexicans are trying to take over America! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hell, oil floats on water. How hard can it be to clean it up?! It's just sitting right there!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9. unid macrumors regular

Beyond petroleum... another environmental catastrophe
    a slick about the size of Jamaica at the moment.
    It might take 3 months or more to stop the leak!
    around 200000 gallons a day leaking at the moment.
    we need more drilling like we need trepanning.

10. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

This is a catastrophe made even more frustrating because it's yet another problem "we" have created because of our addiction to oil. Maybe as soon as we fux everything up enough and bleed the oil money well dry we can finally get on with finding a better way.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So how's that drilley baby drilley thing working out for you Sarah Palin?

13. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Apparently as well as it is for this guy.

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Saying, "Don't drill 'cause of a spill," is sorta like stopping building cars on account of somebody got killed in a wreck.

I'm a bit puzzled about a couple of things. I saw an early report about 700,000 barrels of oil in some sort of storage at the site. I don't guarantee "barrels" over "gallons", however; a brief note in an early media comment. But if that storage isn't the source, then the flow must be artesian--which is an unknown for me. I had always thought that pumping was required.

Something to check out, I guess.

But one email from a "sort-of" insider said this was definitely going to be a Gulf-wide horror show, worse than the Campeche spill in 1973 or thereabouts. It's not just the environment or the commercial fisheries. Beaucoup people depend on tourism at the beaches.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

50 gallons in a barrel and of that only something like 2 gallons is usable gasoline.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What it really is, is a damn good reason to get our asses in gear regarding alternative fuel sources.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So it seems that Obama is starting to get heat for not responding quickly enough.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What? He responded right away.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

When did the platform sink and when did Obama send major help?

20. Desertrat macrumors newbie

A barrel of oil is 42 US gallons. For light, sweet crude, some 30% or so can be made into gasoline and diesel. For sour crude, somewhat less, although there is more expense because of the need to remove sulfur. But the thick stuff like the Venezuelan oil from the Orinoco Basin is about 5%.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/eng99/eng99288.htm Scroll down to the final post, particularly the second paragraph therein.

leekohler, nobody would argue your point. The problem is one of numbers. No alternative fuel of whatever sort appears to enable the volume of travel (whether people or their commercial goods) which we now need to maintain our civilization.

If I'm wrong, about all I can then figure is that this "new magic" is gonna be the equivalent cost of $6 to $10 per gallon gasoline in today's dollars. Gotta pay for retrofit where possible, and development of the infrastructure for re-supply as well as the direct cost of whatever fuel or process comes along.

One little for-instance: You take the availability of diesel at a mom'n'pop for granted, nowadays. Thirty years ago? 99% truck-stops only. Wasn't commonly available until maybe fifteen years back. The dual-fuel propane crowd still has limited access to propane refuelling.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why don't you link me to something instead of playing games? You made the claim, back it up.

22. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Who cares about Obama? This is a real-world problem, which means it's basically beyond government help. Aw, a few FEMA people and some Coasties have some know-how and equipment, but nobody inside the Beltway is worth paying attention to. They're irrelevant.

Prevailing winds out of the south, generally. Water-mass movement is clockwise at three mph. Without even looking at the maps of the spread, I figure that the Gulf Coast from around Galveston to the Florida Keys and then Cuba will be affected.

Fifty miles out: 500 feet of water at the site? The guesstimate for an interdiction well is at least a month. Gotta move a rig into place, set it up, and then drill. Intersect the problem hole and inject concrete, I guess.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't understand why its so hard to cap this pipe, I don't know technically where or how its broken but you'd think they'd be able to have some way to either bend the pipe over and pinch it? Are they more worried about getting this thing back and functioning or about the oil pouring out of it?

24. unid macrumors regular

25. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Okay, found a map. The spill is not as large as the media would have us believe. Actually, the east coast of the US was hit far harder during WW II, with the U-boat sinkings of tankers going to the refineries in New Jersey, or carrying refined products up the coast before joining convoys to England or Murmansk. The beaches were awash with oil/gas/diesel from Florida to Long Island.

The NOAA forecast for the general New Orleans area for the next several days is for winds generally from the south and southeast, but, unfortunately, at 15 to 25 mph.

That would tend to make the slick hit land between NO and Mobile. Poor Biloxi.

Zombie, what's relatively easy on dry land is a serious PITA when it's several hundred feet under water. And just think: This well isn't really in deep water. The discoveries off Brazil are some 8,000 feet down. Other GOM wells? Do a search for Chevron's Jack #6.

Attached Files: