Gun buyback canceled due to new law.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Jul 24, 2013.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'm not sure why you have an issue with this. It was a community supported, voluntary event with a sincere message. Surely getting guns out of circulation safely and legally that people no longer want is something that should get everyones support.

You have to be seriously lacking in objectivity to attack these people as "gun grabbers".

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

How is a buyback program "gun grabbing"? Buy back implies a voluntary nature to the program. I don't see why you feel the need to spin this one.

4. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

It's all about fear to fuel the "they're coming for your guns" fire.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Considering that unwanted guns are probably much more likely to be poorly stored and thus more likely to be stolen by a criminal or involved in an accident why do you want these guns out there? Or are the lives of the poor innocent guns more important than human lives?

6. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Here is your universal background checks in action.

It is all about the law, it doesn't matter the intent behind the action.

I am just sorry the sheriff warned them ahead of time. He should have just waited and arrested the bunch when they started the illegal transfer of firearms.
    I wonder if they could be charged with intent to commit a felony?

7. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I have no issue with gun buy back programs.

Though, I think such events should be open to the public where other people can buy the unwanted weapons at market prices, and all guns actually turned in be smelted, and not put back into circulation for any reason, with the exception being bona fide antiques and high collectibles.

8. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Most of these programs across the nation make it next to impossible for law abiding citizens to wait in front of these locations and try to pay the sellers closer to far market value for the guns they are turning in.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm starting to wonder if you have lost your mind. You're sorry that the sheriff informed them of a change in regulations:rolleyes:? Perhaps one day I'll see you on the news charged with shooting someone who would have otherwise escaped with your tinfoil hat.

10. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Remember, ignorance of the law is not an excuse. If these people are all about getting these weapons off the street I expect them to follow the law just like anyone else and not when it suits their interests.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I know that, and you misrepresent the situation unless I am unaware of other facts beyond the scope of the article. From my perspective you seem to want them arrested simply because you dislike the group involved here. Is it really anything beyond that? They were not planning anything in secret. In fact I suspect they would have required a permit for the event. When informed they could not hold such an event, they did not attempt to continue. I would not be surprised if gun manufacturers supported buyback programs. It lessens the supply of used firearms over new ones:D.

12. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

If I was to do the same thing with will intent to collect these firearms(not resell) the local PD and/or the ATF would arrest me under the rules of conducting firearm sales without a license(Type 1).
    However these groups, many times with the support of local law enforcement and tax payer funding break these laws and everyone looks the other way.

I am just happy they finally got shutdown.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You are sure they don't seek compliance through a licensed reseller or other means? I never suggested they should receive a free pass, but they could inquire what actions could be taken to achieve legal compliance.

14. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Some do, some don't.

When a car is forfeited for a DWI or is used in a drug crime do most cities destroy the vehicles? No, in most cases they auction/resell them. Why are these guns getting destroyed?

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Their goal was to reduce the number of guns in circulation. In my opinion as long as people still buy new guns, that won't really happen. Guns tend to be usable for a very long time if properly maintained. It's a cultural thing. As I stated previously I don't see why it would bother you if they are within legal compliance. Is it the issue of waste, as in reducing the used supply when new ones are manufactured anyway? Do you disapprove of the way they're funding the buyback?

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Did you even read your own link :confused:? The sheriff was apparently involved with the event as was helping to facilitate it.
    This thread is an embarrassment through and through. It's scary you own a firearm.

17. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Well you can believe what you will however I am glad that tax dollars are not being used to disarm the public and these people get to see how their wonderful new law in action.

18. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

The guns are not the problem if they are owned by a responsible owner. If the firearm is legal why not resell to someone that wants it?
    I see a lot of stories about little old ladies bringing in their dead husbands hunting rifles worth thousands and getting a Gap gift card worth $50 or someone brings in a collectible museum piece worth Tens of thousands. Two things happen to those rifles 1. They get destroyed or 2. Someone in the local PD gets a new gun for their collection.

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I doubt those people would take the trouble to find out how much their weapons are worth and selling them. So would you rather those old ladies throw them in their closet where they aren't secured and their grandkids can find them and accidentally shoot someone, or if a criminal breaks into their house they can easily steal them as they aren't locked up, or would you prefer them being turned in to the police to be destroyed?

20. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That is pretty much in line with what I expected. You dislike waste, and I can understand that. New guns are manufactured either way, and it's not like this would really take us in the direction of a culture that isn't reliant on firearms. I hadn't considered the donation of museum worthy pieces.

21. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I would like them to see them get paid what they are worth. This whole "buy back" thing is a joke. If you want me to even consider turning in my firearms to the Government how about you pay more then a tenth of their actual fair market value.

I would like to see these guns resold to legal gun owners rather then get destroyed.

22. chown33 macrumors 604

You are not the target market for these buybacks. Just like I am not the target market for "Get Out The Vote" drives. I already vote. I have no intention of stopping. Not every program supported by citizens and/or law enforcement is about me, nor does it have to be.

I look at buybacks about the same as I do the household toxic chemicals collections. If I have something I need to get rid of safely, I go. If not, I don't. I'm not being forced, coerced, or hounded into doing so, just like you aren't being forced, coerced, or hounded into selling your guns at a buyback program.

Some people who happen to have old guns don't want them, but they don't really know how to get rid of them safely. They'd probably give them away if they knew with certainty that doing so wasn't illegal. They really don't know anything about guns. They don't know if putting an ad in the paper is legal. They don't know if having their neighbor down the street sell them is legal. They mostly just want to be rid of them, with the minimum effort and legal consequences.

You could lobby and organize to get a law like Arizona has. There, any guns collected at a collection point run by a law enforcement organization must be auctioned off. They already had a law that confiscated property must be auctioned off. I think they recently passed a revision or clarification to the law that made it clear this applied to guns.

23. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

And of course the obligatory photo of THAT EVIL BLACK RIFLE!

All this gun-control hoopla is reminiscent of the gun control mania whipped up by the Southern Democratic Party Machine to strip blacks of their rights to bear arms - just before the Klan would become active in town.

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Glad they shot themselves in the foot (pun intended).

>

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

They aren't your guns. They are other people's. If they decide to hand them in at a community event that's entirely their prerogative and frankly none of your business.

Stories

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

As a libertarian one should support this if it is optional.