Gun Control - Disarm The Police?

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
Well, I don't recall the exact number but given the amount of guns in the US along with the number of criminals, that is just plain stupid to suggest cops shouldn't have guns.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
In the UK there are very few police who patrol with firearms (airports being the most visible example of the exceptions to the rule). They do have pepper spray etc. and can call an armed, rapid-response team. Occasionally a police officer is killed in the line of duty, but then again even in the UK occasionally police make mistakes and shoot an innocent person.

In any case, it is easier for police to gain a rapport with their community if they are not armed with guns. They learn to de-escalate things quickly by talking people down from states of agitation. If they cannot do that, they call reinforcements and basically a mob of officers show up to handle the situation.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
In the UK there are very few police who patrol with firearms (airports being the most visible example of the exceptions to the rule). They do have pepper spray etc. and can call an armed, rapid-response team. Occasionally a police officer is killed in the line of duty, but then again even in the UK occasionally police make mistakes and shoot an innocent person.

In any case, it is easier for police to gain a rapport with their community if they are not armed with guns. They learn to de-escalate things quickly by talking people down from states of agitation. If they cannot do that, they call reinforcements and basically a mob of officers show up to handle the situation.
If the police didn't have guns in Washington DC, they wouldn't have to worry abort rapport with the community. They'd be in the cemeteries. The criminals have guns. That's the big difference between jolly old England and the US, here the criminals have guns.

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA

Isn't it only the 'beat' cops who are unarmed in the UK? Traditional beat cops are only memories from my childhood here in the US.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Good luck finding people willing to take the job of police officer if this idea ever catches on.

D.C. councilmember David Grosso suggests disarming city police, says officers 'shouldn't have guns'
I wonder if jkcerda will join this discussion as disarming the police is one of his pet talking points.

No. Police should not be disarmed. The police should be armed as much, if not more, than the criminals they are charged to apprehend.

Now if we significantly reduced the number or lethality of weapons in the hands of criminals, then that would be an opportunity to revisit the subject. But as of today, with the conditions as they are, the police should not be disarmed.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I wonder if jkcerda will join this discussion as disarming the police is one of his pet talking points.

No. Police should not be disarmed. The police should be armed as much, if not more, than the criminals they are charged to apprehend.

Now if we significantly reduced the number or lethality of weapons in the hands of criminals, then that would be an opportunity to revisit the subject. But as of today, with the conditions as they are, the police should not be disarmed.

Since he tells us the police have no requirement to protect us, maybe we should disarm them. Oh, warmonger!

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
a.Since he tells us the police have no requirement to protect us, maybe we should disarm them. Oh,
b. warmonger!
I back up my claims. here.

a)http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html?_r=0
Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone
AA) http://nation.foxnews.com/2014/08/16/there-are-no-police-ferguson-store-owners-forced-fend-looters
AAA) http://benswann.com/detroit-citizen-dubbed-batman-for-armed-neighborhood-watch-patrols/

b.
war·mon·ger
ˈwôrˌməNGɡər/
noun
a sovereign or political leader or activist who encourages or advocates aggression or warfare toward other nations or groups.
arming rebels that are fighting other sovereign nations is warmongering, like Obama is doing.

anyways.

----------

No, armed police are the exception.

----------

I'd rather have the comedic costumes than the ludicrously high body count.
I'd rather have an EDUCATED society that does not:
1. riot because their team won http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/18/local/la-me-0618-lakers-20100618

2 where teens are not roaming around beating people up. just for fun http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/08/teens-attack-man-kroger-memphis_n_5785164.html

3. where homeless & mentally ill people get help they might need instead of breaking into homes http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-woman-on-roof-with-intruder-20140925-htmlstory.html

4. where cops are held at least to the SAME standards as regular citizens & they dont get away with killing someone simply because they were doing their " job" http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/13/us/california-homeless-beating-verdict/

Last edited:

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
good grief SD.....not everybody joins the police for the opportunity to shoot somebody! :p
Very true… but they do want to be able to return fire if someone shoots at them. Remember some veteran officers aren't in the shape they were when they got on the force. Can you see that long time officer trying to apprehend someone with everyone knowing that he doesn't have a firearm? it wouldn't be pretty.

:eek:

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Very true… but they do want to be able to return fire if someone shoots at them. Remember some veteran officers aren't in the shape they were when they got on the force. Can you see that long time officer trying to apprehend someone with everyone knowing that he doesn't have a firearm? it wouldn't be pretty.

:eek:
they could just sit in the perps

:p

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
Sheesh. Baghdad and the Left Coast was bad enough, but sometimes I'm just glad I retired when I did.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget

as a LAW abiding citizen in charge of my OWN safety, there is no reason why I should not have access to the SAME weapons police have.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
as a LAW abiding citizen in charge of my OWN safety, there is no reason why I should not have access to the SAME weapons police have.
Absolutely. Every citizen has the right to an APC and a couple of tanks, armour-piercing bullets

...and a large bag of non-lethal donuts.

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
Ingenious! So society basically ends up in a perpetual arms race out of fear of ones neighbors and the police. Well, since my neighbor just got a rocket launcher and he is a total nut job, I guess I have to get one in order to protect myself. Sounds like someone has been drinking the gun manufacturers kool-aid.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Absolutely. Every citizen has the right to an APC and a couple of tanks, armour-piercing bullets

...and a large bag of non-lethal donuts.
wow, you have a great point, those are military re-issue/hand downs to police.
no need for those IMHO.

donuts? creme filled please :)

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
By that logic you should be able to drive around a car with lights and sirens.

And why shouldn't you be able to commute to work in this ...?

or this ...

That should be your RIGHT! Right?

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Ingenious! So society basically ends up in a perpetual arms race out of fear of ones neighbors and the police. Well, since my neighbor just got a rocket launcher and he is a total nut job, I guess I have to get one in order to protect myself. Sounds like someone has been drinking the gun manufacturers kool-aid.
personally, I DON'T care how YOU decide to protect yourself, I'll concede the point that some things are not needed like those mentioned by Skunk.

----------

By that logic you should be able to drive around a car with lights and sirens.

And why shouldn't you be able to commute to work in this ...?

or this ...

That should be your RIGHT! Right?
I have a feeling you only read what you want to read. your post is 5 minutes AFTER post 21. I am driving a Nissan Versa, those pics are extreme gas guzzlers. I have no problem if people want to drive those.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
personally, I DON'T care how YOU decide to protect yourself, I'll concede the point that some things are not needed like those mentioned by Skunk.
Great. Does this mean you'll stop repeating this lame talking point of yours in the future?

I sure hope so.

----------

I have a feeling you only read what you want to read. your post is 5 minutes AFTER post 21. I am driving a Nissan Versa, those pics are extreme gas guzzlers. I have no problem if people want to drive those.
Dude, there's a little more to those vehicles than the amount of gas they use.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget