Gun Control in the US...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by imhereareyou, Jun 5, 2017.

1. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

Is this topic allowed? lol.
    I don't get people. Why would people think that a law making it illegal to own a gun or harder to get a gun will stop a criminal? There are laws against killing people and the criminal has broken that one, what makes people think a piece of paper will stop a person from buying a gun illegally? I could grab a revolver down the street for $50 right now, its a pos 22 but could still do damage...
    Drugs are illegal, there are strict laws on them and yet I can go to any corner and buy them.

Someone said that Chicago has the strictest gun laws and then another person said they dont work since its on a state level, it needs to be a federal level? That didn't make any sense to me. How would a federal trump a state law since weed is illegal federally but states are allowing it?

Do people not have common sense when it comes to the guns????

2. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

If we follow your logic, we should just decriminalize everything, since laws do not stop murderers, rapists and thieves from doing their thing.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Because if it's illegal in Chicago (or Illinois for that matter)....you can just drive to the next state over where it's not?

How's that common sense working out for you??

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

1/2 of the people do not. Responsible gun owners are not this issue.

5. imhereareyou thread starter macrumors regular

imhereareyou

Heroin is illegal in all states...But I am sure you can get it in your state right? What part of that piece of paper is stopping people from selling, making or using heroin? It's a piece of paper, just like the federal speed limit that no one abides by.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The difference between guns and weed is you can easily grow weed just about anywhere while guns don't grow on trees and require some skill to make.

Chicago has problems despite its strict gun laws because it borders one of the easier states to get guns in and there are no border checkpoints to catch them when someone carries a gun across the border from Indiana to Illinois. If it was done at a federal level then they would be easier to enforce as if someone wanted to get a gun in from a country with looser gun laws they would have to smuggle them through a patrolled international border.

And no people don't have common sense when it comes to guns, otherwise they would see that in the rest of the world when it has become harder to get guns violent crimes and successful suicides go down.

A good example is machine guns. There are laws against owning those with only a few exceptions. Crimes committed with machine guns are almost nonexistent despite being relitively common back in the 20's when you could get them from a mail order catalog. That also lowers the number of casualties in mass shootings because it slows down the rate that a criminal can kill people at and gives people more opportunity to get away or subdue the shooter.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'
    All I've done is point out the glaring reason why state level simply doesn't work when trying to ban certain guns, you just drive over to where you can.

Frankly, my bigger concern in this is why does America have such a gun fetish, usually tied to textbook examples of fragile masculinity?

8. imhereareyou thread starter macrumors regular

imhereareyou

Well do they stop these things? If someone has that mentality a paper wont make them not do it. imo
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2017 ---
    Have you ever shot a gun? They are fun. They also are for protection. When someone is threatening you or your family will you call the cops and wait for them to come help? Or will you handle it yourself and call after? I don't ever want to have to use my guns on someone but I will if I need to.
    Its cute that you think that it would stop a criminal. Guns can be shipped in just like the cocaine (this is grown too), heroin and weed. Like i said above I can get a .22 for $50 down the street from my job.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It will not stop all of it, but it will stop most of it just like gun control has in Europe, Canada, and Australia. But go ahead and pretend to be ignorant about how it has worked everywhere else.

10. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Chicago's gun laws haven't been the strictest since 2014.

- Chicago's handgun ban was ruled unconstitutional by SCOTUS in 2010. (Thank you Otis McDonald and Alan Gura)
    - Illinois is a shall issue concealed carry state.
    - Illinois handgun laws preempt city, town, and village laws.
    - Assault weapon bans are pretty much gone, with the exception of 3 or 4 cities.

We are still required to have a FOID card, hopefully that gets repealed soon.

One of the biggest issues in Cook County (Chicago), is criminals not being charged at the federal level, or firearms charges being reduced, and many times tossed out.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

still illegal to bring it to Chicago, and as pointed out gazillion illegal guns available just like illegal pot/weed/coke/pepsi/Dr Pepper.
    far different cultures.

12. darksithpro macrumors regular

Gun Control is a liberal fantasy. For some reason liberals tend lack logical thought. They seem to be unable to distinguish the difference between law abiding citizens and criminals. In their mind if they ban something, then no one will have it, yet in their small brains they simply cannot grasp that criminals do not follow laws, and that by passing more and more restrictive gun regulations, they only hurt law abiding citizens.

13. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

The paper is just there to make you hopefully think twice before doing whatever the paper says not to do.

If we forcefully stopped people from doing a thing. Then there will be an uproar of the government stepping in to forcefully stop people from doing the thing.
    If the government does not forcefully stop people from doing the thing, you still have folks in uproars that the government is not forcefully stopping people from doing the thing.

Aside from physically removing your ability to do anything, you still have that ability as long as you have the determination to do it, you most likely will until there is a force greater than your determination.

People will still speed. People will shoplift. People will steal cable TV. People will drive drunk. People will still do the things they are 100% determined to do. Some may do the thing merely for the fact that there is a law stating not to do it.

The paper, making something illegal, fineable, against the law is there so that if and when you are caught. There will be a form or reprecussion for doing it. The idea is that hopefully the penalty (whatever that may be) is great enough that the majority of people will not do it.

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That's already illegal depending on Illinois law(with the FOID card I'm sure it is) .

15. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

16. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

It is.

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The alleged purpose of gun control laws is to reduce the rate of crime where firearms are misused.

Since the mid-1970s, having given the GCA 1968 some years for judgment of its efficacy, I have been asking which law, if any, has been useful in reducing the rate.

To date? No answer.

I note that a major conclusion of "Under The Gun" (Wright/Rossi/Daly, U of Fla Press, 1985) was that no gun control law ever passed by the Florida legislature had ever affected the rate of violent crimes involving firearms. The authors, statisticians, claimed to be neutral to mildly anti-gun in their views.

18. niploteksi macrumors regular

Gun control in America is a liberal fantasy.

19. darksithpro macrumors regular

Yes, as the thread topic indicated. Now places like Japan are a completely different story. They are also very xenophobic, which can be an indicator of reduced crime.

20. Zenithal Suspended

Japan came up in one of the last gun control topics. Not keen on seeing it used as an example because most people would find Japan to be a true government state because of how they run things and how strict their laws are.

That said, I own guns. Quite a lot. I live in a very liberal state. I agree with some gun control, I don't with others. Gun control doesn't stop criminals from getting their hands on them. I'd rather see people be forced into psychiatric help if they think they should shoot others up or be arrested just prior to the act. Most mass shootings in the US have come down mental instability. I suppose the Pulse shooting qualified as terrorism but from what I've read, it's quite clear the person, whose name I won't mention because why would I, had mental instability issues and should have been placed in a long term 51/50.

I won't bother remember or learning the Pulse shooter or any other terrorist. Even if you don't agree with those victim's lifestyles, a lot of people lost their lives for no reason. Family members lost a loved one. Remember the people. Not the attackers names, or who they were. All they deserve is to be thrown into a pen of hungry hogs to be eaten.

21. niploteksi macrumors regular

The US is sort of xenophobic, so it should work well there too then.

22. darksithpro macrumors regular

The USA is a nation of immigrants.

23. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

24. niploteksi macrumors regular

That's what's so paradoxical. But as one of the posters on this board said it "every nation has a right to defend itself", or something like that.

To me it's not so logical that you should be anymore dangerous than my neighbors because your ancestors emigrated to America.
    What do you mean excuse?

25. Zenithal Suspended

True, but he's right. There are parts where being non-white or rather visibly white will get you in trouble or judged harshly.