Gun drawn for turn signal.. Officer being berated

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stylinexpat, Sep 10, 2017.

1. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

2. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

There is white privilege. It's such an integral part of the package that we don't know we have it. Last time I got pulled over at gun point for a tail light defect is never. But I was pulled over six or seven times while waiting for a replacement of the rear wiring harness to be shipped from Japan for a 1980 Datsun back in the late 80s...

3. daflake, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017

daflake macrumors 6502a

Meh... Cop made a bad decision and was called out. I hope the guy filming filed a complaint.

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

America's love affair with guns has effectively cancelled the fundamental social contract most people in civilised countries enjoy.

In most normal countries, when people get pulled over by the police they peaceably comply. If they try and run away from the police, they will sooner-or-later be apprehended and receive a considerably higher penalty than they would have originally received. Should they attempt to offer any form of resistance to the police officer's instructions, they will be subject to a proportional response, one that is almost universally effective in bringing the resistance to a legal, appropriate, but usually non-fatal, conclusion.

But the simple fact that hundreds of thousands (millions) of Americans walk and drive around carrying deadly firearms changes the basic calculus that every police officer performs when making a traffic-stop. They know there a non-zero chance that the person they are stopping might pull out a gun and blow them away. And so, every day, hundreds if not thousands of otherwise innocent American citizens find themselves looking down the barrel of a law enforcement firearm. Literally a finger-twitch away from instant death. And sometimes, far more often than in any other civilised country, they lose that tragic lottery.

There is a non-zero chance the random citizens stopped by the cops in Germany, or France, or Britain will be carrying guns. But that probability is far, far less than it is in the United States. People likely to be carrying guns will be known to the police, and usually easily identifiable via their vehicle registration or other sources of information. The only people who get cops' guns pointed at them are criminals and terrorists.

That's the "freedom" our precious Second Amendment has bought us. That, and the right to get blown away watching a Dallas Cowboys game.

5. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I could only watch part of the video but I couldn't tell if the gun was actually unholstered. It didn't look like it from what I could see. What is the gun unholstered?

6. webbuzz, Sep 11, 2017

webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Didn't look like it. Video must have started after the fact.

Hopefully his bodycam captured the entire stop.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

cops get shot at traffic stops

8. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

That is bad people doing bad things. Good people should not treat good people like bad people. The fact that there are bad people out there should not turn supposedly good officers into treating all other good people like bad people. You would never see an officer in Japan or Sweden walking up to a car for failing to turn on turn signal with a gun pointed in their face.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

got a feeling officers in Japan or Sweden don't get shot at as often as cops here do...........

10. webbuzz, Sep 11, 2017

webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

The Dinkheller video is always painful to watch. :(

11. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I normally side with the police after I do my best to learn all of the facts of a situation. With this one I'm going to make two assumptions:
    One - the driver was pulled over for not using a turn signal and was not suspected of any other crime.
    Two - the officer had his gun out of the holster and in his hand as he approached the car.
    If that is the case I think he should be suspended without pay for a lengthy time and then re-trained.
    Good for the driver for calling him out like that.

12. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

Well ya since they are not gun crazy like murica.

13. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

You should move there.

14. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

That’s not my problem. You don’t get to be a dick to random people and draw weapons just because...

You clear leather and draw down and odds of someone getting killed goes up dramatically. You better have a life threatening situation before doing so.

Can’t handle the stress of the job? Don’t care. Quit. That’s your problem, not mine or the general public.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

hence the reason I said good for the guy for calling the cop out, still two sides to every story.......

16. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

The cop should only have one story and that’s the law. Their snowflake feelings used as a justification for killing is irrelevant.

17. Bubble99 macrumors 6502

To Americans start fixing the education standards for officers this problem like many other problems like cops arresting firefighters, nurse and EMT. And use taser on 10,11 and 12 old's in school and arresting 9 and 10 old's acting out in school this problem will not get better but worse.

No matter if there was private company investigating police misconduct and feds starting sending these cops to prison.

Where too many people playing GTA and watching cop shows and thing cop work is car chase, foot chase, running and hopping fence and shoot outs with bad guys. These wannabee cops become cops with lack of education, proper character and police training.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

This video below is exactly what us Black people are afraid of ........ Sure it happens to Whites and other races too, but not even close as frequent towards Blacks.

19. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

sure send me a check so I can do so in comfort.

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

This typifies the American experience
    &
    &
    So a problem with cops getting shot is brought up, then the issue of gun control in the country is brought up, and last a flippant remark about moving out of the country....
    I'd say "never change America" but I'm worried you're all ready going down that path with blinders on.

Well as for the cop, I can't really blame him for being nervous, but a drawn weapon? At this point the guy in the car is the one being approached by an armed aggressor.

21. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Now STOP RIGHT THERE.

A. He is an AMERICAN. There is no reason he should HAVE to leave.
    B. Condescending statements like that are personal in nature and in most rational minds considered an insult.
    C. If YOU want to live in an environment like the wild wild west from 1880 why don't YOU LEAVE.

I am SICK and tired of people telling others if they don't like something to leave their country. Why ?

BECAUSE IT'S THEIR COUNTRY JUST LIKE YOURS.

22. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

I couldn't care less.

23. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I am just grateful that, in my state, there is no duty to inform if you are carrying. Less said the better off you are. Too many cops have a childlike fear of firearms carried by law abiding citizens and often go out of their way to make things difficult. A gun is much safer in its holster than being fingered by some cop who is likely to be unfamiliar with that firearm. It's just a method of harassment that cops will use to assert their authoritah. Don't ask, don't tell.