Gun free zones are horrible said

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Mar 4, 2016.

1. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Nothing like breaking up the Trump bashing with a good old gun thread.

2. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Not a fan of this. It annoys me just as much as gun shows that ban firearms.

On the other hand, I would be curious to know what large venues were available to the NRA at the time the events were scheduled.

The recent change in Texas to not allow city/state owned or leased from venues to ban firearms means that the San Antonio convention center cannot ban firearms - that decision is left to the party leasing the space. Most other large venues I've been to are on private land and have outright bans in place.

If the NRA literally could not find a large venue capable of holding the needed numbers that allows firearms (the sign appears to have a non-NRA logo), I see no hypocrisy. Otherwise...

3. jerwin macrumors 65816

Sometimes, one wishes to dispense with the conventions of "polite society."

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I don't remember who it was but they asked a Republican Congressman if there were plans to allow guns in the U.S. Capital."Nope" was the answer. If it's good enough for them, it should be good enough for the rest of us. :p

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Washington DC is still the gun murder capital of the world after all.... Good thing guns are illegal there...

6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I remember that. I think there was a thread here (maybe elsewhere). It reminded me that one of the redeeming things about TX is they put their money where their mouth is and don't ban firearms in the Capitol building.

As for the situation you reference, I suppose it would be a meaningless gesture anyway - because of the draconian laws in the Capital, most law abiding citizens would never be able to approach the Capitol with a firearm anyway.

7. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

It is?!?

8. samiwas macrumors 65816

9. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

CPAC's "no guns" rule, correct? So Lapierre was merely pointing out that a gun-free zone is actually a free-fire zone for the various idiots who attack in schools and churches. "No guns" makes it safe for murderers.

Individuals and store-keepers who are against guns should post signs in yards and on shop doors: "This is a gun-free zone. There are no firearms here and none are allowed here."

11. FieldingMellish Suspended

Media Matters = Soros-funded digital bell tower, ever on the lookout to capture and reimagine information.

12. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

The point of a "gun free zone" is not to prevent gun violence. It's to prevent accidental discharges. Gun free zones do not apply to security and law enforcement personnel.

13. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

That depends on where you are/who you are.

I read a story a while back about a cop that would pick up his kid from school in uniform. The problem was he was a cop in a neighboring community and was ask not to have his weapon with him, he was scaring the kids.

Anyone can be a security guard. They are required to follow the same rules as the ordinary subjects.

Gun free zones are just a "feel good" policy that obviously doesn't work.

14. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Commit a crime with a gun one is not legally registered in owning should lead to a huge fine or prison as means to deter. Seems simple, so it therefore cannot be that simple.

15. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Why should I be required to register my possessions with the government?

Shouldn't the commission of a crime with a firearm, regardless of ownership, require fine or prison?

16. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Arming America has not exactly worked either

17. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Because a gun is not a basketball?

18. nbs2, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016

nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Neither is it a car battery, hydrogen peroxide, or acetone-based nail polish remover. Yet, I am troubled more by the combination those three elements than I am a guy with a gun. If it wasn't for the inherent instability, I suspect we would see more of it produced.

Edit: it is also not a bladed instrument, a bludgeoning device, a length of pipe with a nail and closed end, a compressed air system, a pressure cooker, any of a dozen other materials available in a home improvement store, any of several chemical compounds, etc.

Are you suggesting that lethality should result in mandatory registration? Athletic and very athletic adults can easily harm another person (especially children). Should we require to register prior to joining a gym or beginning a fitness routine? Many parents are unfit and dangerous to their children. Maybe we we can mandate that either all people receive reversible sterilization procedures until they demonstrate to the state that they will be good parents or we can just sterilize those who commit felonies or are accused of domestic violence.