Gun groups sue over California law banning firearms sales to those under 21

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gun-rights-sue-california-firearms-sales-ban-under-21
Second Amendment right groups sued the state of California Monday over the new law banning the sale of firearms to people under the age of 21.

The groups, the Calguns Foundation and Firearms Policy Coalition, argued in a lawsuit filed in San Diego on behalf of individual gun owners that those 18 and over are adults and have a right to purchase a firearm.

FOX NEWS POLL: 71 PERCENT SAY GUN VIOLENCE A 'MAJOR PROBLEM' GOVERNMENT SHOULD ADDRESS

“Once individuals turn eighteen, they are adults in the eyes of the law,” said John W. Dillon, the Carlsbad attorney representing the groups, the Los Angeles Times reported.
love calguns.

Reactions: Vanilla Ice

vertical smile

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2014
Personally, I think the age limit to purchase a gun should be raised to 25. I would also raise the age limits to buy alcohol and cigarettes to 25.

This is typically when the brain fully develops for humans, and that last part to develop is the prefrontal cortex, which is responsible for logical and rational thought.

Typically, humans under 25 tend to process information with the amydgala, which is responsible for emotional responses.

I would rather have an owner of a firearm, or the consumer of an alcoholic beverage to have logical and rational thought, than one that response emotionally.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Personally, I think the age limit to purchase a gun should be raised to 25. I would also raise the age limits to buy alcohol and cigarettes to 25.

This is typically when the brain fully develops for humans, and that last part to develop is the prefrontal cortex, which is responsible for logical and rational thought.

Typically, humans under 25 tend to process information with the amydgala, which is responsible for emotional responses.

I would rather have an owner of a firearm, or the consumer of an alcoholic beverage to have logical and rational thought, than one that response emotionally.
Then in that case age to enlist better be 25 too.

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
We can't trust anyone under 25 to use a gun safely right?:p The every soldier under 25 is a potential Gomer Pyle.:D

All kidding aside, there should only be 2 requirements for gun ownership: 1) competence and 2) responsibility. A gun owner needs to be able to handle a gun safely. And more importantly, be responsible enough to keep the gun from falling into the hands of anyone else.

When I hear about some incompetent with a gun, I think this...

I'm betting that guy was over 25 at the time.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget

deal, but raise the voting age and age to join military the same.

Reactions: Altis and ucfgrad93

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017

Then the age of maturity should be raised to 25.

vertical smile

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2014
Reactions: jkcerda

vertical smile

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2014
We can’t trust people under 25 to be responsible with a gun but we’re supposed to trust them in a war?
No, we don't so please explain it to us.
Besides the fact that the military members do not OWN the weapons they are using, there is other things too.

Military life is inherently disciplined and structured. They are not given a rifle and sent on the frontlines. There is a lot of training, drills, preparing, and learning, which assist in character building, learning self-control, and obtaining military bearing.

This is the types of stuff that you do not typically see in civilians, especially younger ones.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
Besides the fact that the military members do not OWN the weapons they are using, there is other things too.
I see. So you'd be OK if someone under 21 just borrowed a weapon?

Military life is inherently disciplined and structured. They are not given a rifle and sent on the frontlines. There is a lot of training, drills, preparing, and learning, which assist in character building, learning self-control, and obtaining military bearing.
What I'm hearing is that it has nothing to do with age but rather training. I 100% agree.

This is the types of stuff that you do not typically see in civilians, especially younger ones.
Perhaps you don't but it happens all the time. In fact the NRA is a big advocate of teaching respect and discipline when it comes to firearms.

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
Nooooooo :eek:

I'm turning 21 in one month. I wanna buy booze :(

In my experience, plenty of under 21 people get their hands on booze easily enough. Not sure that that extra four years will make a significant difference.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017

In my experience, plenty of under 21 people get their hands on booze easily enough. Not sure that that extra four years will make a significant difference.
Whaaaaaatttt??? Say it isn't so. There's a law which states one cannot buy alcohol until they're 21. Surely you must be in error!

vertical smile

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2014
I see. So you'd be OK if someone under 21 just borrowed a weapon?
They are issues weapons, which the service member is responsible for, but it is not like the service member takes them home, to public places, to a mall or McDonald's (at least in conus and most careers in the military).

One thing about military life is that you are not alone in making decisions and you are not just with your peers. NCOs tend to be older, most are 25 and older, and one of their duties to make sure the junior enlisted are adhering to the disciplined and structured military life.

Another thought, I am not sure about the statistics of it, but when I hear about all the shooting incident (non-suicides) in the US over the past few years, I don't recall too many active service member being the shooter, and I don't remember any where the weapon used was government issued.

There probably is some. Just like all groups of people, there are some bad eggs.

What I'm hearing is that it has nothing to do with age but rather training. I 100% agree.
Training is good, but it isn't just training, but a life style.

Perhaps you don't but it happens all the time. In fact the NRA is a big advocate of teaching respect and discipline when it comes to firearms.
This is good, but I am not commenting on the NRA, as I would bet that most firearm incidents and accidents are happening from people that don't follow the NRA, and people that don't care about respect and/or discipline when it comes to firearms.

Don't worry, it isn't up to me.

Maybe, but just because some can get booze easily enough, does it make it okay?

Think about it this way, if the 4 years difference was the other way, and the legal drinking age was lowered to 16 or 17. would this be a good thing?

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
This is good, but I am not commenting on the NRA, as I would bet that most firearm incidents and accidents are happening from people that don't follow the NRA, and people that don't care about respect and/or discipline when it comes to firearms.
Yet somehow you think these same people care and respect the laws? Reality is that it is illegal to shot someone yet it happens regularly. But you feel that passing another "common sense" gun law is somehow going to change that?

vertical smile

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2014
Yet somehow you think these same people care and respect the laws?
Who are you referring too?

Reality is that it is illegal to shot someone yet it happens regularly. But you feel that passing another "common sense" gun law is somehow going to change that?
Yes, if the law was 25 yo for gun ownership, there would still be gun violence and accidents, there will still be people out there who illegally obtain a gun, and it wouldn't be a golden bullet to fix all firearm related problems.

But, it could potentially reduce firearm access to a small population that due to human physiology, doesn't have the cognitive capacity to make rational decisions and more likely make impulsive decisions based off of emotion.

To put this in perspective, contracts signed by an intoxicated adult could be considered non-binding and non enforceable. The reason why is because the first part of the brain that gets affected by alcohol is the prefrontal cortex, which is responsible for making rational thought.

This is also the last part of the human brain to be fully develop.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
The same people you were in the post I quoted.

Yes, if the law was 25 yo for gun ownership, there would still be gun violence and accidents, there will still be people out there who illegally obtain a gun, and it wouldn't be a golden bullet to fix all firearm related problems.
Yet they're being proposed as just that.

But, it could potentially reduce firearm access to a small population that due to human physiology, doesn't have the cognitive capacity to make rational decisions and more likely make impulsive decisions based off of emotion.
You think?

vertical smile

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2014
and people that don't care about respect and/or discipline when it comes to firearms.
Yet somehow you think these same people care and respect the laws?
The same people you were in the post I quoted.
Oh, I understand what you are asking.

Some might, some might not regardless of the law.

I think there are many people that respect laws until they let their emotions guide their actions (road rage is a great example). An increase to 25 would prevent that younger population that tend to let their emotional impulsivity overtake their rational thought from having easier access to firearms.

And even for the group that doesn't care and respect the laws, it would make it harder to obtain firearms. Yes, some will get it regardless, but many won't be able to.

You think?
Yes, I do.

Yet they're being proposed as just that.
Maybe, but I am not defending those people, I was posting my opinion, which I know is very unpopular with some groups of people.

Just like my opinion to raise the drinking age to 25, and the voting age to 25, very unpopular with certain groups.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
Just like my opinion to raise the drinking age to 25, and the voting age to 25, very unpopular with certain groups.
At least you're being consistent. Have you advocated that to your fellow Democrats who are trying to lower the voting age to 16?

Reactions: Altis

Glockworkorange

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I guess they can't do that now, even though they can join the military and use guns to defend the country. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lots of kids in rural areas purchase and use guns---long guns. They hunt and protect livestock with them.

They also use them to protect their homes, as it might take law enforcement a good long time to get out to the boonies.

Hey lefties---not every young person who buys a gun is a ducking school shooter.
[doublepost=1562208463][/doublepost]

To put this in perspective, contracts signed by an intoxicated adult could be considered non-binding and non enforceable. The reason why is because the first part of the brain that gets affected by alcohol is the prefrontal cortex, which is responsible for making rational thought.

This is also the last part of the human brain to be fully develop.
Then they shouldn't vote at 18. Or operate heavy machinery, like cars.

What a crock of spit. But the left can go on and pat themselves on the back---you've really defended us all from school shooters!

Lol. Dumb lefties.

Reactions: jkcerda