Gun safety classes, good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Jul 15, 2013.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

http://fxn.ws/12uktiR

"Missouri schools will be encouraged to teach first-graders a gun safety course sponsored by the National Rifle Association as a result of legislation signed Friday by Gov. Jay Nixon."

2. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

As long as it stays voluntary..

Gun safety is kinda personal I don't think I'd want anyone else out with my daughter other than me.

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Well, as long as it sticks to theory only in the classrooms, and the NRA doesn't decide to take all the kids out on field trips to the local rifle range, I'd be alright with it.

4. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I agree.

5. AhmedFaisal, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
  6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't mind teaching kids gun safety if their parents want it but I have a problem with the NRA in schools. The state should no more be sanctioning the NRA than they should any religion.

7. AhmedFaisal, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
  8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Another option would be instead of learning to shoot guns at school the kids could instead concentrate on learning topics like literacy, numeracy, science, geography, and history. Collectively this is termed an education which is incidentally the antithesis of the NRA's agenda.

9. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I didn't read anything about them "teaching 1st graders how to shoot guns" so please direct me to where that was written. The only thing I read was they could offer a "gun safety class" and with young children being involved in accidental shootings I don't see how that is a bad thing. Of course parents who choose to own a gun should be the ones to teach safety, but if they aren't doing it I don't think it's a bad thing. Also you have some parents who do not own a gun, but a child might find themselves in a situation where a gun is present. In those cases the child needs to know the dangers and be taught not to touch it.

I agree with this and although I fully support the idea that parents should be able to opt out it isn't a bad idea for all kids to be educated in gun safety even if there isn't one in the house.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Kids whose parents do not own guns can come into contact with guns at friends or relatives houses. Nothing wrong in teaching all kids gun safety.

11. Andeavor macrumors 6502

First grade is too young. I wouldn't mind if they offered such a class (6th grade and up) but it should be sanctioned by the parents and only if it's meant as a means of education on guns, munition and defense and not as target practice.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Exactly, It's like they are trying to brainwash kids before they can do basic addition.

I wouldn't mind this in middle school since they teach sex ed anyways.

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

With some children accidentally killing their siblings I think it's smart to have it as an OFFERED course.

Given the statuses on my Facebook feed, the tweets from yesterday about a certain murder case and the conversations I have with some of my customers, I agree that basic courses such as math, english and science are more important.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If around guns, a safety course is a great idea. However in the background I'm thinking, The NRA first to step up, doing their part indoctrinating our kids into the gun culture. :rolleyes:

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

They can teach students how to safely handle their love gun and their hand gun in the same class.

16. MegamanX macrumors regular

Since it is from the NRA I am going to simple say it is a bad idea. Even if it was not from the NRA I would give the same answer.
    Lets be simple. Most people do not own a gun nor do most houses even have a gun in there.

Also this has nothing to do with safety but the NRA pushing its crap down on us. This is complete and utter crap plus no reason to do it.

17. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

You know with the NRA involved they're going to be pushing something... (i.e. marketing guns from companies that sponsor them). The way I see it, it's just a chance to increase sales.

18. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Teaching gun safety is a lot like teaching safe sex. If a youngster comes across a gun they'll know what is safe and not.

19. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Not on this forum!!! :p:p:p:p:p

As a former instructor and gun owner, I say yes provided you aren't talking about live-fire drills. That doesn't mean allowing children to handle live firearms, but a firearm trainer such as the 'blue Glock' makes perfect sense, at least to me. Stupid people negligently shoot themselves and others. Thugs shoot other people. Laws does not stop ignorance or evil and it generally acts after the fact. Educated and armed citizens don't shoot themselves and can shoot thugs if thugs try to harm them. The top killer here is ignorance. Much like you cannot always keep kids from having sex, you cannot always keep kids from coming into a situation in which they may need to safely handle a firearm. You can make all the laws you want, but laws don't overpower knowledge, and they sure as hell don't stop ignorance.

I look at gun education the same way as I look at contraceptive sex-ed, driver's-ed, and diversity-ed (a slightly newer but proven field). If you want to reduce harm, you need to put the politics aside and give people the knowledge they need to make an educated decision. Teaching gun safety with an inoperable dummy without a live gun in the room is the same as showing people correct usage of a condom without having people in the room having sex...it will save lives but still gives people autonomy to choose their own path. You need not get jiggy or exercise your 2A right, but if you do, you have been given factual knowledge rather than a bunch of personal biases coming from various organizations with different interests.

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Can't wait to see a bunch 7 year olds, lined up and singing"this is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for fighting, this is for fun!"

21. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Such a safety course should be incredibly simple:

"If you see a gun, GET AWAY FROM IT AND TELL AN ADULT. DO NOT TOUCH!"

That's all the gun safety a 1st-grader needs to know. Period.

22. MegamanX macrumors regular

My understanding is even the gun companies are scared of going against the NRA.

23. zin macrumors 6502

Nothing like brainwashing kids into the American gun culture.

24. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

No, it isn't, and that is how people get killed. That's like telling someone "don't have sex" or "don't eat that" or "don't drink" and not providing further explanation, therefore creating a taboo. The church does that with sex...want to know how well that works? If it happens in a group setting, some kid who has for their entire life known guns as a taboo is going to pick a gun up and someone is going to wind up dead when he decides to play cowboys and indians or try to re-enact a violent movie or videogame which is virtually everywhere you look in today's society. That happens A LOT and it is avoidable. You cannot easily child-proof a firearm or a law, but you can easily gun-proof kids. If you own a firearm and have children in the house, I strongly suggest providing basic firearm education which also explains the reasoning behind not touching the firearm, and allowing children to interact with a safely unloaded firearm if they ask rather than creating a taboo.

An uneducated adult with a firearm is arguably more reckless than an uneducated child with a firearm and certainly more reckless than an educated child. The amount of people who think that because they see movies where people going on killing sprees or played some videogames where they blasted some people and therefore they know exactly what to do if they encounter a loaded firearm is a potential nightmare scenario, and crap like that happens all the time. No, it's not like George Clooney or Street Blaster 4 depicts...there is fiction and there is reality and there is a line that needs to be established. There is no 'reset' button, and many people fail to conceptualize this. People base knowledge on firearms on so many things except reality that establishing basic pillars on gun safety is a potential means of saving lives. Like any other tool (or whatever you may classify it as), improper usage is inherently dangerous.

Why would firearm safety be proposed to be taught as such a young age? The same reason many other types of safety + tolerance education is taught...children are young, impressionable, and they retain what they are instructed. Further, the age of 6-8 is when a concept of death is established. With guns, the first thing you need to emphasize is that a bullet cannot be taken back, that bullets do not work in real life like they do a videogame, tv show, or a movie, and that incompetency gets people killed. Kids have their heads filled with cartoons, movies, and videogames in which people get shot and they are fine and dandy...think about that for a second and the implications of that + a taboo and what it equates to. A first-grader is more than capable of safely unloading a firearm as well as diffusing a situation in which other children (and adults) may not realize the gravity of the situation if some kid says 'hey look at this...'.

If parents choose to opt their kids out of things like firearm education, sex ed, diversity education, etc., I think they have a right to...but I also think it's a terrible decision in which the well-being of a child is determined by exterior forces.

----------

Would you say the same thing about 'brainwashing' kids with values you personally deem acceptable or are your socially-acceptable practices worthy of a less antagonistic name?

25. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Sure. Probably a good idea actually as an option that parents can opt in or out of.