Gun sales are up in the USA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chagla, Jul 25, 2012.

1. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

kind of astonishing. how do you differentiate between the crazy guy shooting randomly and 10 other people with gun? who shots at who? No more Red Indians to kill, no more wild bears knocking at your doors in 2012, so why does public need gun for? ..time to change centuries old law. how about something relevant like health care? education?

Comment # 36 from the BBC article, such is the perception of Americans on the other side of teh pond. this is also highest rated by readers of the article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18980974

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That article mentions background checks (not sales) in three states, so the title is a little misleading.

And? People are allowed to buy guns.

3. eric/ Guest

eric/

I say good. Hopefully those individuals get good training and their CCW and maybe the next time something like this happens it can be avoided, or criminal thugs will think twice.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Even local radio stations have carried this story, yesterday and today.

It appears significant, to us.

So now the perp might be killing well into the future, even though locked away, or executed as has been suggested.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Sad to see such a level of paranoia against one's fellow man in a supposed modern society. Something needs to change. Who knows what.

6. eric/ Guest

eric/

Implying that people buying guns will be killing people with them

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Excellent cognitive skills exhibited. :cool:

8. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Many people who have been victimized tend to see that a little differently, especially people who were victimized that found themselves helpless and no one was able to aid them in time. Violent crime rates suggest that the "paranoia" isn't so paranoid after all.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Next thing you know they'll be putting door locks on cars and houses.

11. eric/ Guest

eric/

Post of the month

12. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

I see no problem with a spike in people buying guns after this theater shooting. It was bound to happen considering this shooting occurred in a public place that millions go to every year.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, you can always making money on the idea that the government is just moments away from confiscating all the guns.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. That was my first reaction. What amazes me is that Obama has never proposed new gun legislation. But yet, many idiotic gun owners seem to think that this is the case, and have since Obama was elected. It has puzzled me like nothing I've ever seen.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am absolutely for the second amendment. However, we need to enforce the existing laws. I am completely for criminal background checks, waiting periods and required training.

15. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Hilarious. As Jon Stewart said recently, ten years after 9/11 we can't fly in a commercial jet with a full bottle of shampoo. But God forbid we even raise the idea of restricting automatic weapons in civilian hands.

And yes, I so believe the Aurora situation would have been improved with a couple dozen armed people, panicking, poorly trained, in a darkened theatre, firing back at this hump. Good God. People buy a handgun because they think it's going to protect them from getting shot. That's a force-field you're thinking of, dumbass.

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Exactly. Even an expert that I saw on one of the news channels said even the first responder police would have been outmatched in those first minutes considering the guy had tear gas, gas mask, bulletproof vest and semi-automatic weapons. So not quite sure how people think civilians are going to handle what the police cannot.

17. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Eric you seem to be missing some things here. Adding more guns to such a situation does not necessarily make the situation safer. You have the original gunman who likely does not care who is hit by his fire. Once shots are fired and someone tries to take out the first gunman, how does the next person ensure they are aiming at the right person and will not hit an innocent person assuming a confused/chaotic situation? People like to theorize on what they might do, but it doesn't mean that will improve the situation.

Given that guns aren't going anywhere, I'd like to see stricter purchasing, background check, and training regulations. Appropriate training with a firearm and firearm safety should be required before any of these are ever sold. Before the car reference comes up, that has always been a problem, and better education is needed there too.

18. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I did have a good laugh when I saw that highest rated comment on the BBC yesterday! Gun laws are something the US got completely wrong, and now it's too difficult to change. Sad really.

When many Brits think of gun ownership here it's often seen as an 'upper class' thing- posh snobs going pheasant shooing etc. Whereas when many Brits think of gun ownership in the US they often think of rednecks.

19. .Andy, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

.Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Buying guns to protect oneself does not automatically make you safer. That is a non-sequitur. There is no solid evidence that buying a gun does anything for safety besides increasing your perception of safety. There is solid evidence that buying a gun increases your risk of successful suicide however.

While I of course have sympathy for the victims of crime I do not accept that being sold a gun ensures any outcome other than money in the manufacturers pockets and possibly a false sense of security.

20. eric/ Guest

eric/

Correct, but adding guns adds the possibility of defense, whereas no guns guarantees no defense.

21. Happybunny macrumors 68000

This always happens after any shooting incident, people are worried that he laws might be changed or certain guns banned. In two weeks it will all go back to normal.

To all the non US posters your idea that guns could be banned in the USA is quite frankly silly. The sheer numbers of guns makes that a impossible task, plus many politicians like to hunt. The firearm is ingrained in the American culture like no other country in history.

The USA main problem in this regard is it's mental health services, which are very poor.

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yes, but adding guns also adds the possibility of accidents and/or overreactions to situations; especially in situations where people are extra brave (dark, anonymous, drugs/booze)

23. Squadleader macrumors regular

Wow Lee, this is the second thing we have ever agreed on...Buts lets extend your comments to immigration as well...:D

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No guns guarantees no defense?

More absolutist claptrap.

More black and white world.

:rolleyes:

25. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

How would you propose one defends himself/herself in a potentially life or death scenario?