Gun Show Question

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kilcher, Feb 12, 2014.

1. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

A local convention center has a gun show every few months. And the parking lot is always PACKED. I'm kind of curious how these things work.

As far as I know you need to have a background check (and presumably a "cooling off" period). Is that to get a FOID card? Or to buy a gun? If it's to buy a gun do you have to have one every time you buy a gun?

If someone has an FOID card and goes to one of these gun shows can they buy a gun and take it home? Or is it kind of like a car show where dealers go in hopes of getting you to come back to their store to buy?

How does it work with kids that go hunting? Do they need FOID cards? Can they buy their own guns? Or does a parent with an FOID card buy the gun and the parent is technically the owner of the gun?

2. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Each state is going to be different. I have no idea what a FOID card is. We don't have them in my state.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

depends on your state, gun shows SUCK IMHO, over priced crap everywhere. it has been very hard to find any decent deal in the ones here.

4. webbuzz, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Since you specifically mentioned FOID, I assume you are in Illinois.

Unless specifically exempted by statute, any Illinois resident who acquires or possesses firearm or firearm ammunition within the State must have in their possession a valid Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card issued in his or her name. Non residents are not required to have a FOID card. New Illinois residents have sixty calendar days after obtaining an Illinois driver’s license or Illinois Identification Card to obtain a FOID card.

If purchasing at a gun show, an Illinois resident must show a valid ID, the seller is required to record the FOID information.

The firearm wait-time law is 24 hours for long guns and 72 hours for handguns for gun show purchases.

The minimum age to purchase a firearm (long gun or handgun) in Illinois is 21.

I am under the age of 21, do I need a FOID card?

Not necessarily. The FOID Act exempts unemancipated minors while in the custody and immediate control of their parent, legal guardian, or other person in loco parentis to the minor as long as their parent, legal guardian, or other person in loco parentis to the minor has a valid FOID card in their possession.

I am under the age of 21, can I apply for a FOID card?

Yes. In addition to all other requirements, a person who is under 21 years of age must have the written consent of his or her parent or legal guardian to possess and acquire firearms and firearm ammunition. This includes having your application signed by a notary public. Also, he or she must not have been convicted of a misdemeanor other than a traffic offense or adjudged delinquent. The parent or legal guardian providing written consent must be eligible to possess a valid FOID card.

Illinois State Police FOID faq
    http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

5. kilcher thread starter macrumors 65816

kilcher

I am in Illinois. I didn't realize a FOID (firearm owner identification) card was state issued and that Illinois is apparently the only one to issue them.

So if I'm reading that right you can BUY a gun at a gun show (at least in Illinois), you just can't take it home, you have to pick it up from the seller after the waiting period.

I'm always SHOCKED by how many people go to this little convention center when they hold the gun show so I was kind of curious what goes on there.

Thanks for the answers!

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I can't speak for Illinois, but I know here in Texas some people are drawn to gun shows because you can sometimes find ammo. I hear it's sometimes hard to find in stores, at least in good quantities.

7. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Illinois is one of a few states that requires a permit to purchase and possess a firearm. Some states are for handguns only.

Illinois is also one of 13 states that does not use NICS for firearm purchases. However, Illinois does use NICS as part of the FOID application process.

In Illinois, yes. There are similar laws in other states as well. Including background checks.

----------

Especially .22 :mad:

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Curses, FOID again!!!!

:eek:

I can believe that, as there is a preoccupation with shooting with large calibres in the States.

I have fired most calibres, but 10s of thousands of .22LR. I never had a problem finding a supply.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

lucky you, hard to find here, I sold my bricks of .22 @ EACH $80 :D
    $15 bricks are history, if they are found it's $25 now :mad:

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Ah, but I purposely omitted a time signature. ;)

This was in the 60's and 70's. Yes, it's been a while. Even turned-in my target rifles during an 'amnesty' period. :(

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

that must have hurt. I sold most my stuff, my AR,2 Glocks and my 10/22 sold so I could buy my Mac :eek: I am left with 2 Beretta Neos (.22 cal) one never to be used HD shotgun and my Beretta A300 for skeet.:( sucks but I wanted a Mac pretty bad and it is pretty expensive to feed the toys.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, it did.

I should have modified the Anschütz, and used it as a wall decoration. :(

Never owned a hand-gun, but I loved the art of the Browning .22LR target pistol at the time. One of the members in one of the clubs I belonged to had one, and allowed me to use it on the range.

If I had but jumped through the hoops up here, and purchased one, I might still be shooting today.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I would have cried if I had turned that over. Anschütz are nice pieces of art

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

kilcher, all manner of firearms-related items are offered at gun shows. Books, reloading gear, gun parts, ammunition, hunting knives. Some shows are a bit loose about pocket knives and "sorta flea market" items.

In the used-to-be, many non-licensed people would sell guns from their own collections. Those guns are mostly gone, nowadays. Old Winchesters and Colts, for instance. Nowadays, it's mostly FFL dealers and the usual state and federal rules apply.

I did two to four gun shows a year for right at thirty years. Made a little money, bought/sold/traded into and out of various firearms. Never got a bad check, ever.

It was fun. But it's real, cash money, not virtual money. Say you have three guys come up. One has something he wants to trade in. Next to him is a guy interested in buying the trade-in. You have a very short time to appraise the value of the trade-in, while not saying so much that the next guy won't pay a fair price. And all the while there's the third fella who you don't want to have walk away because your dealing is taking too long. "Adrenalin!" :)

15. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I agree. Way overpriced. You can get better quality and prices online, surprisingly enough. It just requires a little assembly and it even comes with an instructional DVD.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Have you looked for 22lr the last year? Impossible to find

17. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I seriously do not understand why. I would think rimfire ammo would be the easiest and fastest to make.

I can go to the store right now(actually just did) and get .45ACP, .223, .30-06, .308, .375H&H, 12 Gauge yet when you ask for .22LR it is all sold out the day they get it.
    I see a few people whenever I go range with .22 handguns and rifles but I can't explain the demand.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Perhaps it's not the demand but a lack of adequate supply?

More money in bigger calibres, both ammo and weapons. ;)

Do you see many ads in NRA publications extolling the virtue of .22LR shooting?

Rhetorical. Didn't think so. <shifty>

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Very surprised you are not aware that Obama has the feds buying up all the ammo for upcoming civil unrest. Likely related to the FEMA concentration camps Obama has had built.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Right, .22LR is the calibre of choice for the poor and disenfranchised.

Properly rebuked.

Thank you. :eek:

21. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Given over 50 million sales of firearms, these last five or so years, that's not all from people who already owned guns. Newbies. It adds a lot of demand on ammunition. Then add in the "fear factor" against an untrustworthy government and you have panic buying and hoarding.

Not saying it's rational; it's just human nature.

Reminds me of 40 years ago when Johnny Carson alleged that there was a shortage of toilet paper, one night on his TV show. Within two or three days, every grocery store in the U.S. was sold out.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Fear sells, especially in the U.S.A. ;)

23. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Deleted

----------

Actually yes I have. When they are talking about getting young shooters into the sport.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Ah yes, a gateway gun. ;)

We'll get them hooked young, and then get them to go hard-core, where the real money is.

Sound familiar??

Yep, the bible school of guns. ROTFLOL :D

25. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Or how about teach them properly when they are younger? How about teach them respect and not fear? Your parents should have taught you that. They failed.