Gun silencer proposal would make them cheaper and easier to buy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Oct 23, 2015.

1. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/23/news/companies/gun-silencer-legislation/index.html
    this would be AWESOME if it passed here in CA.

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

IMO I cannot see the point, a suppressor destroys the accuracy of any firearm that it’s attached too.

I think the idea is more born out of the glamour attached to the suppressor by Hollywood.

3. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

saves your hearing and almost no recoil

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Don't most normal shooters wear ear protection?

5. Happybunny, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015

Happybunny macrumors 68000

I'm from that old school if you don't like the recoil, take up fishing.
    If you think that I would screw a lump of iron to the end of the barrel of my hand built Perazzi MX8 skeet gun, you have to be joking.

After all the bangs are part of the fun, like the smell of cordite

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Can't you use earplugs or some other form of hearing protection? Likely you would need something anyway as not everyone at the shooting range would use a silencer.

7. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

yes but they are not enough and the good hearing protection gets in the way when you want a good cheek to stock contact.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm largely ok with silencers on most guns, particularly when hunting dogs are involved.

That said, I'm less ok with silenced small caliber guns shooting subsonic rounds that are truly designed to be quiet enough to kill without being noticed.

9. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

we don't all shoot at the range;)

10. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

1.you hunt dogs?

2.that is just in Hollywood , a suppressor adds 6-12" to most firearms

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

1. Are you really this obtuse, or did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? Surely you're aware that hunting dogs go deaf as a result of their work.

2. Not talking about length. Talking about dB.

12. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

I have never hunted with dogs, I know they are used for pheasant hunting and no, I did not know they went deaf because as said I have no experience with them.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's true, and rather sad. Dogs will do anything you ask them to, even if it hurts or kills them. I'm down with things that help them.

Same with the rest of us. I see silencers as hearing protection, nothing more. Having to wear hearing protection sucks. All a silencer does, for the bulk of guns, is make a deafening noise less deafening.

14. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

mine is like family
    [​IMG]
    I have considered training her to hunt for pheasants, but I would do so with archery if I hunted them.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Mine too. And I'm not a hunter, but my understanding from hunters I know is that good gun dogs are usually trained young, and retire deaf around age 5.

16. whodatrr, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015

whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Sorry, I can't hear you from the constant ringing in my ears... LOL

But seriously, gunfire is a safety issue, in that it can have long term detrimental effects upon one's hearing. I love those scenes in Hollywood where cost are shooting it out with robbers, indoors, while whispering to one another. As you get older, as I have, the stuff you do when younger (gunfire, power tools, concerts, etc.) catches up with you. And yeah, i do now have ringing in my ears. Still, kind of hard to hunt with ear muffs.

So yes, I have quite a few cans. And yeah, I dig them. And no, none are Hollywood quiet, but all save what precious hearing I have left, along with being more polite to those around me. Still loud, but below thresholds that could damage hearing.

Accuracy - POI Shift, Repeatability, and Shooter Effect

POI Shift - There's a phenomenon with just about all suppressors that there's a slight difference in where a gun shoots with or without a can. With some guns this can be one inch at 100yds, with others it's a tad more or less. By attaching a can you are ever-so-slightly changing ballistics, akin to making a barrel longer or tweaking rifling. This is not a bad thing, and can actually be good. Important part is to know how your gun shoots with vs without a can. And remember that in many cases your gun is actually shooting faster and flatter with, vs without a can. The effectively longer barrel gives the power more opportunity to build up pressure, which can be a very good thing.

Still, every can has just a touch of POI shift, when shooting with or without a can. This is natural, and usually a very small amount. The good news is that with most cans you know exactly how much that shift is. I know that usually, at 100yds, my Saker or Harvester cans will raise 5.56 or .308 about 3/4" at 100yds every time, and all day long - regardless of how many times I detach and reattach them.. So, I can compensate for that in the same way I do when shooting a different load or lighter bullet. But honestly, this isn't a big deal because once you start shooting with cans you'll never want to remove them. I sight with my cans and I shoot with my cans. And my ears thank me.

Repeatability - This is about wobbling, or point of impact changing after attaching and reattaching. Some cans that are the quick-detach variety can wobble a bit when attached. These will shift the point of impact ever so slightly, each time you remove and reattach them. This will adversely impact accuracy. Using direct thread system instead of quick-detach cans eliminates the situation where there's a shift each time you remove and detach a can. They're rock solid, so they always shoot in the same place. Furthermore, there are some modern quick attach systems that have also pretty much eliminated this phenomenon. My Saker cans keep shooting in the same hole, regardless of how many times I remove and reattach them. Point is, you can eliminate repeatability issues with a surpressor.

The Shooter Effect and why Cans improve accuracy
    A gun is only fires as accurately as its shooter, and cans make shooters shoot better. Now, here's another important thing about accuracy and cans - most people shoot more accurately with a can, than without one. A can reduces recoil and noise, both of which tend to hurt accuracy. So, when that big .308 kicks more like a 5.56 and sounds like a 22, shooters tend to flinch less and hit what they're aiming for. This is why you see so many serious long range match shooters using suppressors today, because a can helps them to shoot more accurately. I would contend that a rifle dialed in with a suppressor is much more accurate than one without a can.

Yes, aside from hearing protection, a suppressor can help a person shoot more accurately. By taming that loud boom and reducing felt recoil, shooters flinch less and focus more. Yet another reason cans are cool.

Quite a few countries out there who have stringent gun laws recognize that suppressors are safety items, and don't regulate them. I wish we'd do the same.