Gun store owner accidentally killed when pistol discharges in CPL safety class

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by HEK, Jul 5, 2016.

1. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

who uses live ammo inside a classroom?

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

That DEA agent who was definitely the only guy in the room professional enough, that he knows of, to handle a Glock Forty.

4. HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

Guaranteed this gun store won't any more. Can you say "snap caps"

Self correcting bad training protocols gun shop owner wishes he had modified.......well remaining family does. Needless accident due to stupidity.

5. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

idiots.

6. HEK, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016

HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

People too hot to trot to begin carrying a pistol they bought yesterday and have yet to fire first round or even load a magazine. Starting to think I carry not to protect myself from bad guys, but rather to protect myself from othe people carrying that have not a clue to what they are doing.

The safest place to stand, around the person I shot next to, during qualifying for CPL training certificate was directly in front of where they pointed the pistol. Two or three hits on any part of target out of 30 rounds at a distance of 12 feet. Scary!!!!

Reminded me of the scene in Pulp Fiction when guy comes out of bathroom emptying revolver at Samual Jackson without hitting him once. Wall behind him full of holes.

7. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

8. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Not sure why you have a problem with this. I'm certainly a pro-gun guy, advocate for concealed carry rights, etc., but when someone gets shot in a gun store safety class, I believe that is as relevant as many other PRSI threads which turn up over time.

Don't be so defensive. Chill. Everybody isn't out to get you. Just let it roll off your back.

Feel better?

9. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

We could just start one big thread, and call it "people are careless idiots" and cover a lot more ground.

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

Seems like maybe some education is in order, and should be required. If you don't know the dangers of firing a weapon around other people, you should not be firing a weapon around other people. And you most certainly should not be carrying them around other people.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 5, 2016 ---
    Care to explain exactly why?

11. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

or yourself!

12. HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

Absolutely, maybe if enough threads are started after each shooting accidental or not, some actions to reduce them might take place. You know real dialog and compromise to help attempt to mitigate and reduce the deaths.

As for cars being more dangerous, I advocate more training for drivers and perhaps a way to prevent cell phones from working while in motion. This texting and driving is getting way out of hand.

And I'm a CPL advocate as well, my license will arrive in a week or two. But that doesn't mean that I think just anyone should be allowed to pack a pistol. I'm for more stringent control, more legitimate training on an ongoing basis. Before I even took the CPL course, I spent three days, 24 hours and expending 1,000 rounds training on combat pistol training level I, II, and IiI. I intend to stay proficient with more courses and practice. To do otherwise puts myself and others at greater risk.

To me it's totally ridiculous that someone can buy a pistol, take an 8 hour classroom course, shoot 30 rounds at a target 12 feet away and walk away being certified to carry that weapon. 90% of cops have not taken the three day combat pistol course and that's even more scary.

With rights come responsibilities. Freedom of speech comes with a responsibility to stay informed and educate yourself. Freedom from religion comes with responsibility to speak up when government begins adopting religion into it's doctrines and laws. Degrading the concept of seperation of church and state. Freedom to bear arms comes with an inherent duty to use those arms responsibly, to train and comprehend the use of those arms, and obey the laws we enact as a society to remain civil with each other.
    But then how could the thread police shut down the thread for going off topic. No I vote it best to have separate topics, even if similar. Otherwise this could all become a mishmash of convoluted comment going off in all kinds of tangents. Wait.....did I just describe macrumor's forums? o_O

13. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

You're three times more likely to die in a car accident than you are a violent gun crime.

I have a class A CDL and over 2.5 Million miles driven in an 18 wheeler without an accident. Most people don't belong on the same road with me, but it's a free country.

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

Oh, if you're by yourself, I don't care what you do, nor the outcome. If you shoot yourself in the nuts, don't care. If you paralyze yourself, don't care.
    Are you only three times morel likely to be driving or riding in a vehicle than you are carrying or handling a gun?

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Stop women from driving and accidents will dramatically drop

16. HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

As a tool of last resort to stop a threat of great bodily harm, death, or sexual penetration assault, a loaded, properly maintained, concealed pistol that I have trained to become and stay proficient with is most certainly something I should have on me and around others in a legal manner.

I hope to never need it, but needing it and not having it is not any kind of solution given where I live and who I live with.
    It can still be free with better and more training of how to drive correctly. Our freedoms do not include being morons endangering others by the way we drive. No one is free to drive drunk, or recklessly. Being a responsible citizen does not negate or remove our freedoms. Rather it enhances all of our abilities to seek and pursue the happiness our constitution states we have a right to.

17. DearthnVader, Jul 5, 2016

DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

It's irrelevant, while your worried about the big bad wolf( AR-15 ) little old granny in the SUV is going to kill you.

I've been around guns my whole life, got my first gun when I was 12. Everyone I know carries a gun, my mom carries a gun, and she's a great grandmother. The only person I ever knew who was shot, tried to kill him self.

I've lost more friends than I care to remember in car accidents.

18. HEK thread starter macrumors 68030

HEK

I'm not worried about the big bad wolf. I too have lived with weapons my whole life and have had no cause to need one thus far. Having the ability to avail myself of an additional tool for personal and family protection is not motivate by any irrational fears. I don't carry my AR-15 as it is hardly concealable and would attract unwanted attention. Rather I carry a 9 mm Sig Sauer P229 Legion with a second 15 round magazine. Concealed and only in approved legal areas.

I have been situational aware most of my life and avoid conditions that tend to harbor undue threats or potential for harm. Even with a weapon at the ready, walking away from potential threat is always preferable to engaging that threat.

As I drive for a living in recent years, I am very aware of vehicles and conditions around me. I leave plenty of room and avoid situations by looking far ahead. I have had occasions when a little old grandmother came close to running into me. Which I avoided successfully several time. I will continue to remain vigilant and cation you that as I avoid granny running into me with some good observation and skilled driving she just may t-bone you in the process. So watch out.

19. samiwas macrumors 65816

It's not irrelevant. You made a statement that cars are more dangerous. By that line of thinking, mining is less dangerous than walking because only a few dozen people die mining every year, while thousands of people die from falls (like my grandmother).

Something can only be deemed more dangerous if it creates more injury or death persuade than something else. If you perform some action ten times, and get injured nine times, it's a more dangerous activity than if you do something 1,000 times and get injured 50 times. Even though the second action caused 5.5 times more injuries, the first action had an injury rate 18 times higher. That makes the first action more dangerous.

So, if you want to look at it like that, legal gun carriers in the US are far more dangerous than terrorists, since terrorists killed only around 53 people in ten years from 2005-2014, and I guarantee you that legal gun carriers kill more than 6 people a year intentionally (and not justifiably).

So weird. So really, everyone you know carries a gun? You must live in some really weird area. I live in freakin' Georgia, land of the guns-everywhere law, and don't know anyone who carries regularly. Literally. I cannot name someone I know who carries regularly. In fact, I've only known of one guy in the past five years to have had a gun on him.

20. steve knight, Jul 5, 2016

steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Well if as many people used a gun as much as a cars shootings would skyrocket. Far more people own cars then guns. There are crap loads of guns in the US but it is easier to find people that own cars. Just what we need texting while shooting laws.