Gun Thread.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Vanilla Ice, May 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

For them? Against them? Love them? Hate them? Want more restrictions? Want less restrictions? Either way, lets talk/debate about guns here...

2. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Don't hate them. The people that are irresponsible yes. US needs more restrictions or maybe people need to know that there is no imminent danger from the British and there is no need to have guns now.

3. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

OK, as someone who owns lots of rifles....

Handguns should be illegal. Anyone caught with one needs to be in jail for a long time.

Shotguns and rifles should be for home defense and hunting only, and only for people who pass mental, physical, and criminal checks should be allowed to own them.

The second Amendment needs to be repealed.

America has a insane amount of of mass shootings, street warfare, and violence, just so a small group of people can feel " free ".

I think lots of people who carry concealed are just waiting to shoot someone in the face to be the " hero " and that is why they carry.

----------

You see, many of these nuts actually think the " big ebil gubberment " are going to invade their flyover state and imprison them tomorrow.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

1.like cops? & body guards? :D:D

2. so no sports or recreation? [​IMG]

3 so only people who are fit should have a right to self defense? handicapped people should simply be good victims?

4 WHY?

5. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Cops and bodyguards? Sure.

I think hunting and target practice falls into that.

Also, the ugly girl in that picture is holding a rifle, not a handgun.

Did I say that people who are handicapped should not have a right to home defense?

Many developed countries have removed handguns from their culture and population, and now enjoy lower crime and gun death rates.

6. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

The gun problem is more cultural due to America's history methinks.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Because we haven't been doing that anywhere else.

:rolleyes:

At least now it's "official".

Period.

8. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I personally love guns and think there should be no restrictions on them. I do, however, think there should be better psychological evaluations done before someone can own one. I personally believe all the issues surrounding guns has to do with the mental state of the owner.....as with a gun or not, they would do damage. Besides, do people really think that criminals will abide by a gun ban?

Also, this is a great & informative video.

9. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I'm with Detroit Police Chief James Craig on the issue:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140502/OPINION01/305020002

10. jkcerda, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

1.cool ,lets disarm the cops FIRST.

2 glad you agree, hadguns/shotgun/AR's are used for just that

3. just goes to show you need your vision checked, my daughter is holding a shotgun.

4 do you think handicapped people will be able to pass whatever "physical" checks you were thinking about?

5 we are no where near what other developed countries are, but by all means, disarm the cops FIRST & se just how well that works :D

you claimed you owned a lot of rifles in an earlier post, you can't tell the difference between a rifle and a shot gun?

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

here's the problem with that ...

As I've cited a number of times previously, in any given year about 25% of the U.S. population suffers from a diagnosable mental issue.

So there are a lot of people who you might be taking guns away from.

But the real crux of the problem is that murder (despite our high number) is still a rare occurrence ... even among those with mental/emotional problems.

How can you justify taking the right that you hold so dear away from somebody else, just because they have a marginally greater chance of committing a murder than a "sane" person?

That's just the beginning of the challenge ...

• What mental issues are you looking for?
    • Who has studied and determined the markers for murder?
    • How often will this test be administered?
    • If you fail once, is the ban a lifetime ban?
    • Who is in charge of monitoring, administrating and enforcing this?
    • Will we have to carry ID's with SANE/INSANE stickers on them?
    • Or will we just add this all to a NSA Database that will be called up for all gun sales?

These questions and more.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

who are you & how did you take over citizenzen's account? the "mental illness" thing is a very slippery slope.

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Im very liberal.

Just like I see the 1st amendment, progressively expands to blogosphere and the internet.

The 4th amendment, progressively expands to protect laptop and cellphone searches.

The 2nd amendment, progressively expands to cover service rifles. From the British military-type muskets civilians brought from their homes to serve in militias and the continental army, to ergonomic semi-auto rifles today.

In no case does technology and reality stand still.

To change that. Should require an Article V Convention to strip the Bill of Rights, and should not teeter one way or another with illegal legislation based on which party is flavor of the office-term.

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Disagreeing with him is one thing, insulting a photo of a kid is another. Not cool.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It is.

Mental illness as a solution is a delusion of gun advocates ... just as restricting firearms is a delusion of the opposition.

The real truth is that guns are baked into the American cake. They are here to stay because of ...
    • the Constitution and the way it's being interpreted
    • the number of guns in civilian possession
    • an extensive network of gun markets pumping more guns into people's hands
    • a lobbying effort that successfully protects the industry and ownership
    • a cultural mindset that values violence, selfishness and domination

Because of these factors, the U.S. will resist significant change and endure comparatively high rates of gun violence ... at least for the foreseeable future.

----------

As much as I disagree with Mr. Cerda, I must say that his daughter is lovely ... and if she was 20 years older and I was twenty years younger, then I might just have to put up with JK as my father-in-law.

:eek:

16. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Historically, government limits on civilian ownership of weapons, the means for self preservation, was a tool of oppression by which ever faction had legislative control.

Our history is littered with violations of the ideals 'all men are created equal' and the limitations of government power granted by the bill of rights. slavery. Child sweat shops. Women's rights.

To licensing of arms in the South. When african-americans were set free, licensing was created, and the local probate judge (a wealthy white man) was given power to grant/deny at whim. He obviously wasn't going to grant a black man license to own a firearm. So power was kept in 'balance' for decades.

Many whine about the power and wealth of the 1%.
    Yet firearm restrictions on the 99%, give even more power to the 1% Washington fatcats.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

thank you both for the kind words.

back on topic.
    posted this before, but I do believe that a better education (all levels) , better training for those who have incarcerated so that they can be integrated into society will go a long way into decreasing crime/violence. if you find yourself with a felony, for WHATEVER reason, many doors close to you, good luck finding employment if you have a record.
    disagree with you on the bold, I think Americans love their freedoms, the 2nd being one of them.

18. samiwas macrumors 65816

What kind of psychological evaluations are you talking about? Actual mental illness, or would this include people who are overly skittish about various things and tend to overreact to even minor situations?

19. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Our current level of regulation is fine but some things need fixing.

CCW should have reciprocity in all 50 states like a driver's license if the owner passes a shooting competence test and 15 question written exam related to justifiable use of force.

NFA needs to be turned over to the states for local administration by an ATF proxy or ATF proper.

Lautenberg amendment should be made applicable to only felonies accompanied with jail time. Not plea deals and misdemeanors.

20. Micky Do, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014

Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

1 - I come from a country where the cops are not routinely armed.

2 - Farmers, hunters and the like can easily get licenced to own and use rifles and shotguns. Handguns and automatics are not allowed. I first used guns for shooting vermin and hunting on farms when I was about 11.

3 - Guns for self defence…..? A joke surely, so western movies.

4 - Hand guns…. not much good for hunting, and more trouble than they are worth.

21. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Nope, I mean they should be armed. A regular citizen walking around the street should not. That's how they do it in the first world.

Fair enough, but they shouldn't be carried in public.

I did not know that was your daughter, I apologize.

Well, if we are talking handguns in public, no one is passing any checks. because they would be outlawed.

Disarm the populace first. Keep cops armed.

I can, I feel rifles and shot guns should be completely legal in home, and at the range and to hunt with. But they should not be carried in public.

22. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Official Gun Thread.

Yeah I kinda like guns. :D
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399292966.802006.jpg

...and I like to use it accordingly;
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399293012.138478.jpg

Yeah that's MY boot.

23. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

As I'm sure many have guessed, I'm generally armed. There is one place that I do go and feel safe being there unarmed. That is Walt Disney World. Why? Because no one is armed at WDW, not even police can bring a weapon into the parks. They have their own security and Orange County or Osceola County has a deputy outside of the turnstiles.

Could someone smuggle a weapons past their checkpoints? Yes, it happens but WDW relies upon training and professionalism to identify these people. Then handles it accordingly. Two gun incidents since 1971.

If you could reassure me that no one had a gun in your city, I'd feel safe leaving mine at home.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

1 different culture

2 cool, I first used them at 7.

3 see one.

4. plenty of handgun hunting in the U.S.

----------

1. are the cops legally responsible for your well being in the "first world"?

just going to post this once here on this thread
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html?_r=2&
    2 see one, if someone goes through the trouble of getting a permit I have no problems with it, you have to pass a few requirements BEFORE you are simply issues a permit

3 apology accepted.

4. IF being the operative word.

5 lead by example, disarm the cops first :)

6 see 2.

25. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Official Gun Thread.

Many conceal carry there. There are no metal detectors. I know a Georgian who did in november last year and a separate Georgian in March.

I generally don't carry anymore, but was there for dopey marathon in January, noted the lack of metal detectors. As long as you have no bag, you walk right in with a swipe of RFID wristband with hardly a glance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.