Gun to your head... predict all the improvements for the 2012 iPhone.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Wondering what others have to say. Please put your list of predictions in an ordered list and be sure to include ALL improvements, thank you :)

P.S. and be realistic... not just what you wish for ;)

Last edited:

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
My prediction is that everything we're hearing is what we're going to see on Sept. 12th and we're going to see a lot of people disappointed with the hardware and software and thinking about getting something other than an iPhone

JesalTV

Aug 24, 2012
London
The size will initially be disappointing, but feel so good in my hand.

It will grow longer, and be more pleasurable to touch.

VulchR

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
My prediction is that everything we're hearing is what we're going to see on Sept. 12th and we're going to see a lot of people disappointed with the hardware and software and thinking about getting something other than an iPhone
And we'll see that just about everything has been improved from the previous model, and that will draw probably more people into buying the iPhone (RIM refugees, those that tried Android and dislike it and so on).

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Apple is going to blow us all away with their incredible new features...

One is the super advanced six rows of icons, my brain can hardly imagine what can be done with such futuristic magical features.

Also they will have a brand new feature never seen before, its very fast internet, they call it LTE... I know just wow, how will the other companies keep up.

tweaknmod

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
I think all the hardware rumors and parts are accurate.

I also think that the major leaps that this phone will offer will be in the software department. Why, then, would one get it? Because these new software "shinynesses" (lol) will be dependent on the guts of the phone; faster processor, RAM, etc...

Things like:
- more powerful Siri (the full version, not the current beta)
- AR functions
- eye tracking text

The phone will look very similar (if only a bit longer), but be quite different on the inside...

In my opinion, that is ;)

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The size will initially be disappointing, but feel so good in my hand.

It will grow longer, and be more pleasurable to touch.
LOL

+1

Apple is going to blow us all away with their incredible new features...

One is the super advanced six rows of icons, my brain can hardly imagine what can be done with such futuristic magical features.

Also they will have a brand new feature never seen before, its very fast internet, they call it LTE... I know just wow, how will the other companies keep up.
LMAO +1

------------------------

I am interested to see what happens. I am using a GS3 right now that I have plenty of time to return if I decide to get the new iPhone. I am surprised to see how much I like this phone considering how much I hated my GS2 when I had it.

It is going to be a tough decision... :(

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Along with everything in the anantech article, I'll add:

-This Broadcom Wifi chip, with support for AirDrop (NFC-like non-payment features) and AirPort Direct.
-FaceTime HD camera
-8MP camera, but with improved optics.

If I didn't have the gun to my head, I'd add group FaceTime.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
4-inch screen
Dual-core A5X
8mp camera with improved optics
NO NFC
Thinner than 4S by at least 2 millimeters
New dock connector
4G LTE
iOS 6

tweaknmod

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
I am interested to see what happens. I am using a GS3 right now that I have plenty of time to return if I decide to get the new iPhone. I am surprised to see how much I like this phone considering how much I hated my GS2 when I had it.

It is going to be a tough decision... :(
I had a GS3 for about 3 days... returned it. The screen was too big to use comfortably with one hand and, although I did like the options presented in Android, I did miss the level of polish that I've grown accustomed to with Apple.

schmitty2112

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
It will not be called the iPhone 5.

Reasons I believe.

1. It fits into line with iOS 6
2. It is the 6th Generation iPhone (1.iPhone, 2.iPhone 3G, 3.iPhone 3GS, 4.iPhone 4 [which also fit in line with iOS 4], and 5.iPhone 4S)
3. Apple dropped numbering iPad since the new one is the New iPad, I believe they will start doing this because numbering will start to be ridiculous (iPhone 20S)

To go to the original thread topic. THere is a new report out that it might have 3D. Looking at the rumored iPod touch case, there is another round hole on the opposite hole that looks like a camera.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It will not be called the iPhone 5.

Reasons I believe.

1. It fits into line with iOS 6
2. It is the 6th Generation iPhone (1.iPhone, 2.iPhone 3G, 3.iPhone 3GS, 4.iPhone 4 [which also fit in line with iOS 4], and 5.iPhone 4S)
3. Apple dropped numbering iPad since the new one is the New iPad, I believe they will start doing this because numbering will start to be ridiculous (iPhone 20S)
#1 and 3 are the real reasons they'll likely market it as "the new iPhone." Forum members are really the only ones who know it's the sixth generation iPhone so #2 doesn't really count for the general public.